MPT Tune - Stock Transmission Calibration With Gear Skips Eliminated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally have the perfect performance tune to meet my needs!!!! I have had my MPT tunes for almost a year now and love the change in performance. There is absolutely a night and day difference between the power created with the tune in comparison to stock. So much so that it was really hard to drive the truck for a day or two in stock mode when I had to take it into the dealer for a recall notice.

What I never gravitated to was the MPT shift algorithm. While it is likely perfect for many, I personally do not need to be in the power band a majority of the time. For daily driving, I love the extra power the tune provides, but I do not like carrying extra RPMs and simply want the transmission to clip off shifts as soon as possible. That said, I have always hated the stock transmission calibration because it skips 2nd and 4th gear under normal acceleration (the skip shifts are slower and very noticeable to me). The latest tune that I got from MPT (MPT_93PR-X-Jeff-v8.enc) is essentially their 93PRX tune that uses the stock transmission shifting algorithm, but it does not skip 2nd and 4th gear under normal acceleration. They essentially took the areas that Ford set high to command skip shifts and modified/smoothed them out to be normal shifts. There are still cold modes during trans warm up that might do skip shifts since those are reportedly not adjustable, but that will be a non-issue with me since the skip shifts will go away once the transmission is warmed up. The outside temperature has not dropped below 60 degrees since I received this tune, so my revised tune is hitting all ten gears from start to finish.

MPT and I had previously worked together to try and get to my ideal transmission calibration by taking their deafault 93PRX tune and scaling back the aggressiveness, but despite their numerous attempts to get it perfect for me, I was never completely satisfied and chose to run the 93PRX tune with the stock transmission callibration that skipped gears. By taking the new approach and modifying the stock calibration to not skip gears, they hit the jackpot for me!!!! There excellent customer service is definitely very much apprecaited!!!!!

Last edited:

eclou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a new version available? I have ordered but not received my tune yet

OP
OP
J

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a new version available? I have ordered but not received my tune yet

You essentially tell them what you want when you order (Octane rating, PRX or Tow, disable auto stop/start, etc...) and they ship you their latest tune which can be tweaked based on your feedback for up to sixty days. The PRX tune was too aggressive with respect to the transmission settings for me (maintained higher RPMs than needed), so they tried to tone it down, but I was never completely satisfied. The last approach, which got me what I wanted, was to take the stock tune and change some parameters so it wouldn't skip 2nd and 4th gear under normal acceleration. For me that ended up being perfect. If you find what they send you is too aggressive, ask them to give you my transmission program and you should be good to go.

icecoldak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always ask for (MPT_93PR-X-Jeff-v8.enc) tune and you would have the same thing!!

eclou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You essentially tell them what you want when you order (Octane rating, PRX or Tow, disable auto stop/start, etc...) and they ship you their latest tune which can be tweaked based on your feedback for up to sixty days. The PRX tune was too aggressive with respect to the transmission settings for me (maintained higher RPMs than needed), so they tried to tone it down, but I was never completely satisfied. The last approach, which got me what I wanted, was to take the stock tune and change some parameters so it wouldn't skip 2nd and 4th gear under normal acceleration. For me that ended up being perfect. If you find what they send you is too aggressive, ask them to give you my transmission program and you should be good to go.

Thank you!

OP
OP
J

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 91 prx. I asked for linear throttle and no skip. It’s perfect

Does your tune shift at the same RPMs as the stock tune without skipping gears, or is it a little more aggressive and maintain higher RPMs? I now rarely see over 2500 RPMs in normal driving with most shifts slightly over 2000. If I am accelerating slowly, the shifts will knock off at less than 2000 RPMs.

icecoldak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your tune shift at the same RPMs as the stock tune without skipping gears, or is it a little more aggressive and maintain higher RPMs? I now rarely see over 2500 RPMs in normal driving with most shifts slightly over 2000. If I am accelerating slowly, the shifts will knock off at less than 2000 RPMs.

Does yours drop into 10th gear 45-50 if taking it easy, like stock?

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Hmmm when I’m putting around town it feels very stock like , I’m might hold the rpm a bit longer but not much. I’ll check and pay attention

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

I just tested. I used the Cruz to see what gear was used at what kph. 6-50, 7-60 8-70 9-85 10-95

I like that I when I slow down gradually it drops gears. It’s not like stock and holds a high gear until you give it a bunch of throttle. It’s much like a softer tow/haul mode

OP
OP
J

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes. I thought it did it as low as 40 MPH, but it is more like 45 -50 MPH. Just so I do not have to admit that I was wrong, it probably would do it at 40 MPH if I was going downhill with the wind at my back. :)

Last edited: