MPT Tow Tune.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ray Knight

Reaction score
I got my Nguage this weekend with MPTs PRX93 full, PRX93 no trans and 93 tow.

Installed the PRX93 right away. Its INSANE. All 4 wheels breaking loose on wet roads shifting into 3rd gear! Throttle response is perfect and transmission is very aggressive yet not harsh at all. HUGE power gain.

So i did my log to send to them and then installed the 93 tow tune until i heard back that the 93 PRX datalog looks safe.

The 93 Tow tune i did not expect to like as much. I just wanted a slightly less aggressive tune just in case the PRX was too wild. The Tow tune i had not seen many people talk about here. Peak boost levels are about the same as stock. Its peak is around 18.3psi on the datalog but the boost comes on faster and at lower RPM. It feels "safer" but Very, Very strong. I will say, this one is the PERFECT street tune!

First of all, shifting mimics my BMW ZF 8 speeds which i never expected. If anyone has driven an 8spd auto BMW in recent years, you will see what i mean. Its perfection. Its absolutely spot on, fast and butter smooth and slingshots forward with each shift without ever feeling harsh. Power is actually a LOT stronger than stock. Feels like +80-100hp. More linear and more diesel like in delivery vs the super aggressive PRX tune.

Datalog shows almost zero knock retard and lots of timing advance so it looks like the engine is very happy with it and handling it very well. Throttle response is instant but smoother than with the pedal commander which i'll have for sale shortly. Downshifts happen while you are pressing the throttle. Like instantly with zero delay. Letting off the gas there is no lag waiting for it to shift to a taller cruising gear.

Selecting sport mode, the shifts firm up and power feels more aggressive. in 4A sport it pulls off the line like a 911 turbo! Just absolutely rips!!! Not sure i'll go back to the PRX tune as i like the drivability and torquey diesel feel so much of this tune. The only slight issue i have is under very light throttle from a stop sometimes there is a harsh shift from 2-3. I spoke to MPT about it and they said a few others had this issue and they have an updated file they will send me that fixes it. Service is amazing with these guys and they want to see datalogs and go over them with the customer to make sure each truck is taking the tune well and running safely. That is something i really appreciate as there is always some nervousness when you add this much power.

The guys at MPT rock!! I HIGHLY suggest trying the 93 TOW tune for daily/street driving. If you are running the PRX, try this one as well and let me know what you think in comparison. My take on both tunes is the PRX is great if you use full throttle and rev the engine alot. The tow tune is better if you use 1/4 to 1/2 throttle more and keep more in the 3500-4k RPM most the time. Top end Pull is much greater than stock with the Tow tune but a bit less than the PRX. The tow tune feels meatier in the midrange where this engine i think works best.

Mountainkiter

Reaction score
I have the same experience as you. started with 91 prx, it was exciting, I just wasn't comfortable with the near redline shifting. This is probably best for a 1/4 mile test but seems too much for daily driving. I felt the 91 tow was better with a meatier feel, more low end power but still way better than stock. Fun to play with these

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Very interested in this tune. Just waiting to try and get the issue with my truck figured out before I modify it.

Its a fairly cheap way to get a lot out of your truck. Been running it for 10+ thousand miles. Really wish Ford sent it out of the factory with a similar tune. I have almost 18K on the truck, no issues. I remember that my truck had a slight shutter before I tuned it, hasn't done it since.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its a fairly cheap way to get a lot out of your truck. Been running it for 10+ thousand miles. Really wish Ford sent it out of the factory with a similar tune. I have almost 18K on the truck, no issues. I remember that my truck had a slight shutter before I tuned it, hasn't done it since.

I was waiting for the Ford Performance tune because I was initially under the impression that it would retain warranty. But word I've seen lately is it will not retain warranty..... that is of course if it ever actually comes out.

I've seen a lot of positive feedback about MPT's customer service and the quality of their tune. I also like the feedback I'm reading about what they seem to have accomplished with the tranny tuning.

I've been leery to tune this truck with it being the first year for this version of the motor plus the first year for the transmission. Plus the fact that I have always preferred and actual dyno tune to buying a canned tune from someone. but with MPT having you data log and then reviewing and tweeking the tune I think thats probably just as good.

I'm trying to work out an issue with my truck that feels like a miss under acceleration. We've done extensive data logging and haven't been able to narrow down what the problem is. Once I get that sorted out I'll probably order their tune.

The other very attractive thing to me with their tune is the options of 3 tunes. I tow several times a year so being able to switch quickly on the fly from a performance tune to a towing tune is important to me.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....The other very attractive thing to me with their tune is the options of 3 tunes. I tow several times a year so being able to switch quickly on the fly from a performance tune to a towing tune is important to me.

The switching of tunes is an actual re-flash of the ECU/PCM using the nGauge device. It takes several button pokes and 5-6 minutes of time with the vehicle stopped with engine off and the ignition on. It isn't a problem, just clarifying the process.