More power tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VSTOLG4

Reaction score
Would be nice if they had their own 2018 to test instead ragging on a customer’s. Initial tunes can be nasty to a high performance motor and might take some longevity off of it. I’ll keep my $70k truck safe while you guys work on the $300 tune.

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would be nice if they had their own 2018 to test instead ragging on a customer’s. Initial tunes can be nasty to a high performance motor and might take some longevity off of it. I’ll keep my $70k truck safe while you guys work on the $300 tune.

Except for some communication and flash issues the 18.is exactly the same as the 17. So no

Jmorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I read somewhere that you are in the northeast. I live in Texas where it hits 100+ with high humidity. Take a stroll down to Texas in August and I feel you will have a different experience. Just an assumption of mine based off my own personal experience. As I have already stated. I’m not questioning this truck tuned making 450whp on the rollers. I’m saying it won’t make that power in real world application in high heat/high humidity conditions. These ecoboost motors are known for heatsoaking even stock. As to the statement of my truck being the problem. I logged my wife’s 17 raptor on same road same conditions. Logged same results as mine stock to stock. IAT on both stock trucks would climb up into the 150’s on hard pulls to 100. Tuned my truck would reach IAT in the 160-170’s and stop accelerating by 105. We can talk logs dyno numbers etc all day.... I care about how it all translates to pavement. I have multiple logs and several videos if you really want proof of what I’m saying.

As to me “Spouting off at the mouth”
Switzer performance describes almost word for word what I experienced. And I quote....

"2017 Raptor Update:
We have been slowly pushing things up and evaluating everything patiently as we go. We are now approaching the 550lb ft mark to the tires and approx 540whp on the dyno. Real world performance has shown us some weaknesses and things that needed improvement. We took the stock intercooler as far as we could take it... at approximately 400 whp I would say its tapped out. Since we are tuning on 93 octane, intercooling becomes very important for maximizing our results and keeping the power consistent, especially on longer pulls.
We are finishing up a monstrous intercooler setup for the truck and we will be resuming tuning shortly. The goal is to be able to maintain the attained power we are making on short dyno rips through all gear runs in the real world.
We've run mid 13's so far but the stock intercooler was heat soaking so badly at the new power levels that it was basically neutering the truck after the first couple of gears.
That's all for now!"

I guess Switzer is spouting off at the mouth too. But what the heck do they know about tuning twin turbo 6 cylinder engines??

Yeah we know.

You posted the same thing on YouTube about how your truck heatsoaked and you lost to a stock raptor on the 3rd run.

Unfortunate for you that you were unable to take full advantage of their tune.

I’ve never had the problems you are describing. In fact, my IAT never gets above 135 and it’s usually in the 1-teens to 120s. I was one of their first few tunes as well.

If I were you, I’d be concerned as to what was wrong with my truck that it got so hot with a tune that thousands of other people are running without issue. It’s probably best you got rid of it for an 18.

That being said.... an intercooler is never a bad idea.

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

I don’t disbelieve you.

I just love to see the data.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Furthermore...

You’re spouting your mouth about what they can or can’t handle without an intercooler. What is your expertise in this regard.

You have nothing to back up that claim, but I know plenty of MPT tunes trucks who are making more than that on a stock intercooler without issues, including my own. I’d be happy to share the data logs when the summer rolls around again.

I’d be very careful about making generalizations, and also about buying into what others are selling.

QUOTE=Jmorris;1223514]Take it from someone who jumped on he MPT bandwagen. I wasn’t impressed. I have the luxury of comparing stock to tuned on a daily basis as my wife and buddy have stock raptors. Whipple is the way to go as they offer intercooler with their setup. These trucks aren’t good for more than around 400whp (on stock intercooler) without heatsoaking and falling on their face. I will be going custom tuned with full race intercooler next go around.
[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Switzer has a great reputation.

They also have never tuned an ecoboost engine. So, no, they aren’t the gospel.

I don’t care what tune you run, or what vehicle you drive.... in 100+ degrees it’s going to suffer from the heat, especially if you’re making repeated WOT runs. If you want to solve that problem you’re going to need more than a huge intercooler. You’re going to need to Inject.

---------- Post added at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 AM ----------

And you’re assuming I think you were lying.

Reread what I wrote. I don’t think you’re lying, and I think that would be very disrespectful for me to accuse you of such.

If that’s how my post came off I want to apologize. That wasn’t my intention.

I questioned if there wasn’t an issue with your truck.

However, now hearing the conditions you were running in, I almost have to say.... “Dude, what did you think would happen?”

You’re regurgitating Switzer, so I do stand by my advice in not buying into necessarily what someone else is selling or will be selling.

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a Whipple Intercooler, Intake, and handheld tuner for $1399

An MPT tune with Ngauge with no known ETA when it will work for 2018's for $700 is a joke sorry

dhh93

Reaction score
I got a Whipple Intercooler, Intake, and handheld tuner for $1399

An MPT tune with Ngauge with no known ETA when it will work for 2018's for $700 is a joke sorry

definitely a joke. i contacted them and they said they havent been able to get a local truck to test yet. Which i know theyve at least had an opportunity based on reading through this thread. SMH and i missed the group buy for whipple so im going to figure something out im anxious to do something..

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I miss the 2017 generation of members.

definitely a joke. i contacted them and they said they havent been able to get a local truck to test yet. Which i know theyve at least had an opportunity based on reading through this thread. SMH and i missed the group buy for whipple so im going to figure something out im anxious to do something..

Last edited:

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn you guys are harsh. I am not exactly sure what the issue is with the 18s, but If I had to guess, I am going to bet that they might have issues with the ecu on the 18s. The engine and tranny are the same but the Bosch ecu may have been updated with a different encryption scheme? Not sure, just guessing.

I have the MPT tune on my 17, and I have been taking my time with understanding how each makes my truck behave. Tbh, the tranny only and tow tune wasn’t that great. Feels like it could be refined a bit more. The shifting felt jerky at the lower gears and there seems to be a tendency to hold some gears too long.

However, the PRX tune, even the 91 octane only, is nothing short of amazing! I was expecting power delivery to be similar to the tow, only more boost, and the shifting to be okay, but I am blown away by how smooth it is and how great the drivability is!

Is the IC sufficient? Maybe. Depends on how and where you use it. I have had plenty of boosted cars and I know how much it sucks to have all the power get pulled once the fun starts. I have not seen it with this truck yet, and if it does, I will spend a few bucks on a decent one.

Of all of the money spent on this truck, the $300 was the best by a Texas mile.

mmacfn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is clear to me i know shit all about tunes. Ive had jeeps and built them all my life.

So here is the real question.

Do i boot the PC and chipwerks and get an MTP at 1200 miles in or just wait? I have a 2018 and when i contacted MTP they said they dont have a 2018 tune yet.

ReyLorenzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the time that it has taken MPT to finalize the 2018 tune, Whipple was able to get a tuning device to work on 2018s and threw it in essentially for free with their stage 1 kit.