Methanol Injection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like this twin turbo V6 would be a good candidate for ****. Anyone done such a thing yet on the ecoboost platform?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Really. And where are you going to find the tune that will prevent explosive destruction of your engine?

Judging by the litany of problems the new owners of GEN2 Raptors have been having as reported here, it seems to me that you would not want to do anything to void your warranty.

996Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like this twin turbo V6 would be a good candidate for ****. Anyone done such a thing yet on the ecoboost platform?

I have thought about it. It gets 100+ here in the summer and the **** injection would come in handy for IAT temps. Snow performance makes an ecoboost kit for a 2016 not sure if it would work on the gen 2 though. It says no tune required. I would think worst case without a tune you will run rich.

http://www.snowperformance.net/Snow-Performance-Stage-3-F-150-Water-Methanol-Kit-p/3200.htm

OP
OP
ChevyChad

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really. And where are you going to find the tune that will prevent explosive destruction of your engine?

Judging by the litany of problems the new owners of GEN2 Raptors have been having as reported here, it seems to me that you would not want to do anything to void your warranty.

So i guess you have zero experience with ****. Thanks for your expert opinion.

FYI methanol would lower IATs, and boost octane. This only helps efficiancy of boosted applications. A well rounded kit only sprays the **** while under boost and would also be progressive. You would not need to get a tune to experience benefits of ****. However, a tune would help you take advantage of it and add more power safely.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup, @ChevyChad, I have no personal experience with methanol injection. But I can read, and two things turn up. First, a tune is advised. The cooler and denser charge enriches the fuel/air mixture and needs to be adjusted. Many users have two maps that they can toggle between. Second, the kits that I've identified are all methanol/water injection. The standard ratio is 50/50. Although it seems to be the standard route now, you didn't mention methanol/water injection.

You didn't respond to my warning about voiding the factory warranty. That was good because there's no argument about that. You pay for that warranty when you buy the truck whether you opt for the add-on extended warranty or not. It would be ill-advised to throw it away, particularly when it's a new turbocharged engine in the first model year of a vehicle that's having some problems.

You're kinda new here, so I'll just gently point out that it's considered impolite to directly insult someone who is responding to a question that you've asked. 'Nuff said.

Last edited:

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i guess you have zero experience with ****. Thanks for your expert opinion.

FYI methanol would lower IATs, and boost octane. This only helps efficiancy of boosted applications. A well rounded kit only sprays the **** while under boost and would also be progressive. You would not need to get a tune to experience benefits of ****. However, a tune would help you take advantage of it and add more power safely.

My experience with ****, and it's somewhat extensive, is it's not great for adding power. That said, it is great at keeping IAT's in check, which will allow you to keep from pulling timing and therefore keeping your power from falling off after numerous runs or in high temp climates. It is also good for increasing the octane and therefore reducing Knock. That is where you can get yourself into trouble, adding more timing based on the additional octane.

Julio Don over at Alky Control is full of knowledge and easy to get a hold of and would be a preferred system over the Snow IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big-Foot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can spray water on the CAC at WOT and pick up a good deal of power without taking any chances with your warranty.. We used these on diesel trucks for a number of years..

OP
OP
ChevyChad

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, @ChevyChad, I have no personal experience with methanol injection. But I can read, and two things turn up. First, a tune is advised. The cooler and denser charge enriches the fuel/air mixture and needs to be adjusted. Many users have two maps that they can toggle between. Second, the kits that I've identified are all methanol/water injection. The standard ratio is 50/50. Although it seems to be the standard route now, you didn't mention methanol/water injection.

You didn't respond to my warning about voiding the factory warranty. That was good because there's no argument about that. You pay for that warranty when you buy the truck whether you opt for the add-on extended warranty or not. It would be ill-advised to throw it away, particularly when it's a new turbocharged engine in the first model year of a vehicle that's having some problems.

You're kinda new here, so I'll just gently point out that it's considered impolite to directly insult someone who is responding to a question that you've asked. 'Nuff said.

1) Sorry if I offended you or hurt your feelings. I think thats close to being illegal now days.

2) I don't see how it would void warranty if done correctly.

3) You don't necessarily NEED a tune. Yes, a tune WOULD void your warranty, no doubt about that. Yes, **** enriches the a/f ratio, but you also want a richer a/f when using **** as a suppliment.

4) I have lots of experience with forced induction applications and also with **** injection systems (I also am in the boat of preferring 100% **** and favor AlkyControl over snow or other 50/50 systems).

5) Yes, I do own a raptor. Since you are such a great researcher, I am surprised you did not search my posts to see if I owned one. Surely you could have managed to sift thru a mere 30 something posts to find where I recently picked up a new 2017 after owning my 2010 for 5 years.

6) Refer back to #1 again. :biggrin: I am not here to make enemies. ;)

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@ChevyChad:

2) Ford WILL void your warranty if you install nitrous or ****. Count on it. Doubt me? Go see your dealership's Service Manager and have a chat with him. If you like, you can report back here on the thread you started and let us know the results.

4) Given that you have lots of experience with forced induction and **** injection, I don't understand why you started this thread and posed your original question. You knew the answer from the start.

5) I did that.

6) Perhaps.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got to agree with Chad on the 100% **** over water. The cooling properties of methanol are far superior to that of water along with additional octane.

I'm a big fan of methanol in high performance cars but not sure I want to deal with the headaches of keeping up with the system in my daily truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk