Magnaflow Feedback - Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackScab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just had the new Magnaflow exhaust system installed on my G2 Scab.

Magnaflow 19350.png

Initial feedback:
  • Install went fairly smooth with only minor pipe mods needed.
  • System is tight, no leaks, etc.
  • Components and tailpipes are top quality and look great on the truck.
  • When I first heard the system, I was very happy with the new tone - until I drove it home.
  • ISSUE 1: Loud and annoying drone occurs between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm, basically unnacceptable. This is further magnified because the drone also occurs at highway cruising speeds.
  • ISSUE 2: Raptor shifting pattern seems very different (sluggish and upshifts too easily) with the new exhaust, even in Sport mode.

I consulted with Magnaflow and they suggested that I wait for my exhaust system to "break in" (between 500 and 1,000 miles), and also for the Raptor to "self-adjust" the shifting pattern. Not sure if these will solve the drone and shifting issues, but I will give it a chance. If not, I will re-install stock system and sell the Magnaflow.

It's a shame - except for the drone issue, this is a great sounding system, much better than the stock sound.

Anyone with the new Magnaflow have similar experiences?....

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you're the first on here with that system. Drone sucks, it might take a while to "break-in" as they say but generally with media-packed mufflers like the Magnaflow they get a little louder as they break-in. Hopefully it goes away for you.

As far as the shifting, did they disconnect your battery on the install? The exhaust wouldn't make any appreciable change to power so perhaps they disconnected it and your ECM/TCM is re-learning your driving style?

Post some vids of the sound if you can, I'm interested to hear it. Can you hear more turbo whistle?

OP
OP
BlackScab

BlackScab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you're the first on here with that system. Drone sucks, it might take a while to "break-in" as they say but generally with media-packed mufflers like the Magnaflow they get a little louder as they break-in. Hopefully it goes away for you.

As far as the shifting, did they disconnect your battery on the install? The exhaust wouldn't make any appreciable change to power so perhaps they disconnected it and your ECM/TCM is re-learning your driving style?

Post some vids of the sound if you can, I'm interested to hear it. Can you hear more turbo whistle?

Thanks for your feedback.
No, they did not disconnect battery.
I will try to post video....

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with a Flowmaster years ago. Called 'em, told them it sounded like the Space Shuttle at launch, and they sent me a short resonator for free. It fixed it.

Everything has a resonance frequency. The captains of battering rams in the middle ages didn't stand behind the ram, they stood with their hands against the castle wall and had their ram crew hit the wall in time with its vibration. In so doing they pushed the wall's undulations further and further until it pretty much exploded. Watch a vid of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge (Galloping Gurtie) come apart in the wind and you'll see what I mean.

Your new exhaust has a resonance frequency too, and you're hearing it best when the drone is the loudest. Installing a resonator changes the effective length of the system and therefore its resonance frequency. If you want to keep your new exhaust system and there's room for a short resonator to weld into it, that's your solution.

Kngranch

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, have you disabled the fake engine noise? I would assume the truck was designed to cancel (and enhance) certain frequencies/noises at a specific RPM. By changing the exhaust, the truck could possibly be out of sync with the enhanced engine sound track and could be creating an illusion of drone, early up shifts and so on.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree...drone is drone and will not subside at any length of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
302 Mustangs with Flowmasters would drone like crazy at highway speeds. For a 60-70k dollars truck, this is unacceptable, you’re right. Drone leads headaches, early onset driver / passenger fatigue, and you will not be happy with it.

I know you probably don’t want to read this, but you’ve probably just put on a part that is less than compatible with your truck. Drone in an exhaust system is a sign of poorly thought out implementation particularly for a street driven vehicle. Open headers on 460 sound great, but I wouldn’t have them on my daily driver.

The vendor isn’t going to tell you something to immediately deal with the issue, they want you to go away without a financial impact. You have to decide if the extra annoying sound is worth the louder exhaust.

The shifting... I’d be more concerned about this. You can try pulling the battery cables for about an hour then reconnecting and retrying the test drive.