Lost oil pressure time to find out why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any updates?

Not as of yet but when I get some I will be sending them out.

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Any updates?

Do we know which tune was overly aggressive? Pretty sure it wasn't yours due to your history of tuning the engine.

I can tell you that it was not our tune and we did not tune it. The person who brought it to me is very reputable but if there is a flaw that is going to be a continual issue he does not want his name on it.

He sent the engine to us as we do a ton of R & D on the Ecoboost platforms.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again

I reiterate.

Legendary.

Not as of yet but when I get some I will be sending them out.

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

I can tell you that it was not our tune and we did not tune it. The person who brought it to me is very reputable but if there is a flaw that is going to be a continual issue he does not want his name on it.

He sent the engine to us as we do a ton of R & D on the Ecoboost platforms.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The legend

You know....

Livernois.

The pros who other pros send their stuff to when they bust it.

Legendary.

The Pros pro.

Micha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out whomst motor this was.

How many miles did this company have on this setup before this happened?

KellyD

Reaction score
I'm interested in following this thread to see what all you find out. My 2017 Raptor is in the shop right now having the full long block replaced at 10,700 miles. Engine started making some mild noise under light acceleration, and after a little bit of spirited driving to try and pinpoint the problem, it started making a LOT of noise, then lost all oil pressure. Dealer says oil pan full of metal bits so likely entire engine is contaminated. It's been in for a couple weeks because of a backorder on the long block. I thought it was just bad gas or something so switched to a different gas station. Probably drove it 2500 miles after first noticing it didn't quite sound right.

Bone stock, no mods or programming or anything. I would rate my driving style is maybe a little spirited but definitely not abusive.

On a good note, they gave me a brand spanking new loaded 2018 King Ranch to drive around until it's ready. It had 17 miles on it and they pulled it off the line for me. I couldn't ask for better treatment. I still miss my Raptor though. :(

Last edited:

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm interested in following this thread to see what all you find out. My 2017 Raptor is in the shop right now having the full long block replaced at 10,700 miles. Engine started making some mild noise under light acceleration, and after a little bit of spirited driving to try and pinpoint the problem, it started making a LOT of noise, then lost all oil pressure. Dealer says oil pan full of metal bits so likely entire engine is contaminated. It's been in for a couple weeks because of a backorder on the long block. I thought it was just bad gas or something so switched to a different gas station. Probably drove it 2500 miles after first noticing it didn't quite sound right.

Bone stock, no mods or programming or anything. I would rate my driving style is maybe a little spirited but definitely not abusive.

On a good note, they gave me a brand spanking new loaded 2018 King Ranch to drive around until it's ready. It had 17 miles on it and they pulled it off the line for me. I couldn't ask for better treatment. I still miss my Raptor though. :(

I'm curious if the oil pump gears let go. Both on yours and the one Livernois is working on.

OP
OP
Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey gentlemen good afternoon. We have not pinpointed the exact culprit there are some pretty good speculation. We will update with further investigation.

I can tell you the oil pump gears were not the culprit though at this point in time.

Sorry to hear about your Raptor engine expiring also.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Word on the street is that the crankshaft can’t handle more than 650-700bhp.

Thermal breakdown of lubrication due to excessive heat, excessive heat leading to metal expansion beyond safe limits, inadequate lubrication for all of the above.

Too much rotational force...

From what I’ve heard... and I’m not an expert like my man from Livernois.... is that the cure is a built crankshaft with stronger bearings and improved oiling.

In other words... to get these things up over 550 wheel horsepower you’re talking about an engine tear down and rebuild as a race engine essentially... to maintain reliability.

— Big Bucks

I don’t think our man is going to find a flaw in the engine or the block that is unique just to this engine.

All speculation until Livernois weighs in!

If you want 600 ponies at the wheels...

I hear another manufacturer is working on a certain 6.2L supercharged version of an off-road truck.

Blasphemy I know! Lol

Hey gentlemen good afternoon. We have not pinpointed the exact culprit there are some pretty good speculation. We will update with further investigation.

I can tell you the oil pump gears were not the culprit though at this point in time.

Sorry to hear about your Raptor engine expiring also.