Kooks DP, AFE intake, tubo adapters, SP 542 plugs and coolant temp question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I installed an AFE Stage 2 intake, Kooks catted green downpipes, SPD turbo adapters, and a set of SP 542 plugs gapped at .028. Before the install my coolant temp would run between 200-205 degrees at the highest. After the install I had temps today as high as 220. Constant was around 210-212. Granted it was 91 degrees out today too. Anything to worry about?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No. If anything the truck should run a bit cooler due to less restriction on the DPs... I put a 170 thermostat in for fun - truck stays in the 170's now for the most part.

Gargamel

Banned
Reaction score
It's the hotter ambient. Drive it for a few days, the re-check. You may also have to burp the system some more.

OP
OP
O

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he's confusing you with me changing my thermostat... Anyway, I would chalk the higher temps up to higher ambient as mentioned.

I’ll give it some time and see. Would love to know what others are running temp wise? Now I just had the engine misfire pop up this morning. Ugh

ATRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll give it some time and see. Would love to know what others are running temp wise? Now I just had the engine misfire pop up this morning. Ugh

I'm sorry if I missed it but are you tuned or running more boost through a separate device? (JMS/DeltaBoost)

If so I might consider closing the gap even more to help prevent misfire/blowout.

OP
OP
O

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if I missed it but are you tuned or running more boost through a separate device? (JMS/DeltaBoost)

If so I might consider closing the gap even more to help prevent misfire/blowout.

Not tuned. No extra boost. Just the intake, DP, adapters and 542’s gapped at .028. I swapped out the original plugs last night and drove around to see if that affected the coolant temp. It did not. So I put the 542’s back in. This morning I threw the misfire warning. Have not had a chance to get the code read yet. Maybe I’ll close them to .025 to see if it stops the misfire. I’m getting the code read after work.

71 degrees this morning and the truck still ran warmer. Hit 221 at one time. But it quickly drops back to 202-205 off the boost. Hell even under 200 downhill. Averaged 210-212 degrees.

Last edited: