Just Installed Borla Atak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
The only way to correct the V6 noise of these things is to go with a quiet, free flow muffler. They exist... and work very well. In 6+ years prior to the raptor ecoboost, the other models that used this engine went many rounds with the different exhausts. All came back to "find a way to quiet it down ". It shocks me that this Raptor ecoboost group refuses to learn from those that have gone through the exact same thing.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what?

It sounds like the Walker Quiet Flow SS is exactly what we've all been looking for this whole time!

You totally crack me up.

I'll let you know how the FOMOCO Performance exhaust sounds in touring edition.

The only way to correct the V6 noise of these things is to go with a quiet, free flow muffler. They exist... and work very well. In 6+ years prior to the raptor ecoboost, the other models that used this engine went many rounds with the different exhausts. All came back to "find a way to quiet it down ". It shocks me that this Raptor ecoboost group refuses to learn from those that have gone through the exact same thing.

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
God, I miss the old forum... This place use to be amazing back in the day. The new level of stupid associated with these trolls ruins this place for those of us that have been around as well as the new owners. I feel bad for the brand new owners that come here and think this is what this forum is about.

It was once an amazing place, with amazing people. I can't comprehend why the mods do not resolve issues like our buddy Sasquatch77 and ban him. He contributes absolutely nothing to this community, bashes everyone, and starts a pissing match in every thread that he engages in... That would've never flown back in the day!

ETA - Sungod661 sorry your thread took such a turn... For what it's worth, I have the ATAK as well and noticed the same thing you did. It mellowed out a little bit after breaking in. For lack of better word, the harshness of volume and pitch certainly became deeper.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sigh. Oh yee of little IQ. I love it when an ignorant guy feigns ignorance for the sake of making a false point.

The sound of the V6 lacks discernible orders. That means it's basically white noise. Now, if you think white noise sounds better than a V8, which is world renowned for its sound, not only are you on your own, you're certifiably insane. Or deaf. Or both.

Hey, when's the last time you heard of anybody going to see white noise played live? Just checking.

On the other hand, do millions of people pay money to go hear live music played every year? I think so. Yep. They definitely do. Even to ****** bands like Motley Crew. :flipthebird:

Bottom line guys, the only way to truly fix the note of V6 exhaust is with fake bass pumped through the speakers. That's why when the promo videos of these exhaust systems came out they mainly showed cold starts. When they actually showed the trucks driving they either talked or played music over them or ran the video from inside the cab where... you got it... you know it's coming... THE FAKE NOISE IS PIPED IN!

Those of us who aren't idiots knew what they were doing. Yep. Wait for it. Marketing hype. AKA Ecoboost 101.

Please do yourself a favor and read this post 6 or 7 times before you respond (to give yourself plenty of time to comprehend).

And fellas, I'm happy to stay out of these threads, just don't say dumb shit or spread fake news.

:lol2:
I tried to stay silent on this but I simply can't any longer. I get it you don't like the sound of the new Raptor. When you try to pass off your opinion as fact, you got called on it, yet you still try to support it as fact. While you are not alone when it comes to the sound of the exhaust, stating it can't be fixed is pure BS. If you understand how sound is perceived by our ears and how that sound reacts to things like reflection and cancelation, then you'd know that any sound can be altered to almost any degree. This is why speaker placement is so important when it comes to music. Now sometimes this comes at a price. Often you can introduce new problems. In the case of exhaust note, you introduce restriction as well as new frequencies that can be less desirable. Exhaust notes have always been a trade off of performance, noise level, and auditory response. If you are willing to give up a little on one, you can gain on others. Also auditory experience is a subjective experience, so what you find to be a pleasing tone and what someone else finds pleasing can differ by a great margin. Look at the range in musical tastes from person to person. No one says you have to like the sound the Gen2 makes. You are also entitled to you opinion. You stated it. It's been heard, now move the **** on.

Also, stating that millions of people do something, doesn't add validity. Millions of people eat McDonalds every day too. It's still crap.

Now, that said, I personally think that the ATAK does not sound pleasing. It's too loud and too brash. But if you like, then rock it.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a couple profound statements.

I bought the truck for how it performs. That's it.
I wouldn't care if it sounded like a Ford Model T.

People like to buy aftermarket parts for a specialty car and/or truck. It's a huge industry. That's why you buy them.

What someone likes is their business.

I tried to stay silent on this but I simply can't any longer. I get it you don't like the sound of the new Raptor. When you try to pass off your opinion as fact, you got called on it, yet you still try to support it as fact. While you are not alone when it comes to the sound of the exhaust, stating it can't be fixed is pure BS. If you understand how sound is perceived by our ears and how that sound reacts to things like reflection and cancelation, then you'd know that any sound can be altered to almost any degree. This is why speaker placement is so important when it comes to music. Now sometimes this comes at a price. Often you can introduce new problems. In the case of exhaust note, you introduce restriction as well as new frequencies that can be less desirable. Exhaust notes have always been a trade off of performance, noise level, and auditory response. If you are willing to give up a little on one, you can gain on others. Also auditory experience is a subjective experience, so what you find to be a pleasing tone and what someone else finds pleasing can differ by a great margin. Look at the range in musical tastes from person to person. No one says you have to like the sound the Gen2 makes. You are also entitled to you opinion. You stated it. It's been heard, now move the **** on.

Also, stating that millions of people do something, doesn't add validity. Millions of people eat McDonalds every day too. It's still crap.

Now, that said, I personally think that the ATAK does not sound pleasing. It's too loud and too brash. But if you like, then rock it.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I don't get what you don't understand. The engine makes the sound, not the exhaust system. The note that any particular engine makes is based on its size, layout, cylinder count, and firing order. The exhaust system really does very little to change the exhaust note. That's reality. And it's why all these ecoboost trucks sound the same, just with varying levels of noise. It's not opinion. It's fact.

I think it's a great truck overall. Always have. People just need to stop saying that the exhaust note can be fixed by anything other than a V8 swap.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What exactly are you fixing? I happen to like the sound of a V6 and find a V8 to be just another sound.

In fact... here is what is totally amusing...

What I value about a big V8 is that with the right exhaust you can make them nearly silent running. The old cadilacs and old Lincolns were great for this.

In other words... what I like best about a V8 is how quiet you can make them.

It's hard to get that whisper quiet luxury out of a smaller engine, although I have to admit my supercharged, turbocharged 4 banger Volvo XC90 is pretty close, but under a hard acceleration with a full load of people you'll hear the engine.

I don't get what you don't understand. The engine makes the sound, not the exhaust system. The note that any particular engine makes is based on its size, layout, cylinder count, and firing order. The exhaust system really does very little to change the exhaust note. That's reality. And it's why all these ecoboost trucks sound the same, just with varying levels of noise. It's not opinion. It's fact.

I think it's a great truck overall. Always have. People just need to stop saying that the exhaust note can be fixed by anything other than a V8 swap.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
True, but aftermarket exhausts used so far make it much worse.
If you look at Borla, Magnaflow, SW, they just make a few mufflers.... range quiet to load based on air flow. They do not make a specific muffler for a specific application/engine. The piping for before and after muffler is what makes systems unique.

You guys may want to look at mufflers that the import crowd uses

OP
OP
Sungod661

Sungod661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think what guy meant is that the v6 and v8 have their own sound. Let me clarify i said i didnt like the stock sound because it is a truck in my iwn little mind a truck should sound raspy and mean. I beleive Borla accomplished this, it defeinetly does not soun like an accord or a civic despite what nonsense you guys say.

The v8 has a deeper sound because it has bigger displacement , everyone gets this. What i wanted to acvomplish is to give the teuck a meaner raspy sound the Atak has done that and more.

Unfortunately sasmoron and truckretard have decided ti make this another v6 sucks thread.

I personaly have lots of love for the v8 but i have nothing but positives to say about the v6 i think it out performs the old raptor in every category.

Last edited: