Intercooler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be careful what advice you take from McNasty. Guaranfuckingteed that this is the new Sasquatch77 account.

Neither the Full Race nor the stock intercooler have a drain valve for this supposed condensation.

There is a bunch of info in intercoolers here. Turbos = heat. IMO, if you're mostly stock then the stock IC is plenty sufficient. It'll depend on how hard you drive the truck but with your mods, an upgraded IC will help. It can help reduce heatsoak. I also did the IC relocate so I could put a winch in the factory bumper. Also, I think you need to relocate the IC if you put on an ADD bumper anyways.

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

Not true.

Well now.... I figured Sasquatch77 would have already chimed with the weephole comment by now.

So what do you consider mostly stock then?
So you have an aftermarket IC? Which one and why?
So the Full-Race IC recommends a vent to air BOV to help evacuate moisture. Do you have a Aftermarket BOV?

From what i read the Stealth R says that the ACC is all that is needed for relocation. Maybe not...

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well now.... I figured Sasquatch77 would have already chimed with the weephole comment by now.

So what do you consider mostly stock then?
So you have an aftermarket IC? Which one and why?
So the Full-Race IC recommends a vent to air BOV to help evacuate moisture. Do you have a Aftermarket BOV?

From what i read the Stealth R says that the ACC is all that is needed for relocation. Maybe not...

Yeah the Quatch was banned a few days ago. Me personally, I think the 5 Star tune would benefit from the bigger IC. You'll run higher boost and more boost throughout the power band which should produce more heat. I've got SW downpipes, intake, Full Race IC and a 5 Star tune. I'm happy with the combo.

I got the Full Race IC so I could put a winch in the factory bumper. I don't want to drop the coin on another bumper that I probably wont need.
The stock BOV recirculates the air into the intake system via a plastic hose from the BOV to the intake. When you install the Full Race IC you disconnect the hose from the BOV and cap it off. The BOV then vents to the atmosphere.

There was zero moisture in my factor IC when I did the install. A little oil residue though.

I personally don't like the vent to air setup with the factory BOV. It sounds like someone is blowing through a plastic straw really loudly. When you do this IC mod the BOV gets rotated on the IC pipe. So the plastic tube from the intake won't reach to connect. I'm going to buy some extra plastic tubing and rubber couplers to reconnect the tube and quiet the BOV sound.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the Quatch was banned a few days ago. Me personally, I think the 5 Star tune would benefit from the bigger IC. You'll run higher boost and more boost throughout the power band which should produce more heat. I've got SW downpipes, intake, Full Race IC and a 5 Star tune. I'm happy with the combo.

I got the Full Race IC so I could put a winch in the factory bumper. I don't want to drop the coin on another bumper that I probably wont need.
The stock BOV recirculates the air into the intake system via a plastic hose from the BOV to the intake. When you install the Full Race IC you disconnect the hose from the BOV and cap it off. The BOV then vents to the atmosphere.

There was zero moisture in my factor IC when I did the install. A little oil residue though.

I personally don't like the vent to air setup with the factory BOV. It sounds like someone is blowing through a plastic straw really loudly. When you do this IC mod the BOV gets rotated on the IC pipe. So the plastic tube from the intake won't reach to connect. I'm going to buy some extra plastic tubing and rubber couplers to reconnect the tube and quiet the BOV sound.

Thats some good info. Thats kinda what i was thinking that when i finally get my 5star tune that i would create more boost and therefore could benefit from the larger IC but really wanted to see what the masses thought first.
The full race FOB gives you the option to get a throttle body spacer along with a Turbosmart BOV and might be a good option instead of using the stock BOV.

What do you think about the Whipple Mega cooler? Is it as good as say the Full-race that is mounted up higher? You can get the Whipple Mega and a Turbosmart BOV for half of what the Full-Race FOB and BOV cost.

How do you like the downpipes? I was really hoping to get some downpipes too but after putting this Borla Atak on i dont think so. I actually had to weld some resonators in between the X-pipe and mufflers to tone it down!

Thanks k-rub!

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats some good info. Thats kinda what i was thinking that when i finally get my 5star tune that i would create more boost and therefore could benefit from the larger IC but really wanted to see what the masses thought first.
The full race FOB gives you the option to get a throttle body spacer along with a Turbosmart BOV and might be a good option instead of using the stock BOV.

What do you think about the Whipple Mega cooler? Is it as good as say the Full-race that is mounted up higher? You can get the Whipple Mega and a Turbosmart BOV for half of what the Full-Race FOB and BOV cost.

How do you like the downpipes? I was really hoping to get some downpipes too but after putting this Borla Atak on i dont think so. I actually had to weld some resonators in between the X-pipe and mufflers to tone it down!

Thanks k-rub!

I've never used any Whipple products but they have a good reputation and look to be high quality. If I was going to stay with the stock IC location I would have gone with them. I just want the winch there. And yeah the Full Tace is super expensive. I've used their stuff on a previous car and the quality is top notch.

I'm liking the downpipes right now. It opens up the sound when you push the gas but is still quiet when cruising. Interesting enough is that with the 5 Star tune the exhaust is much louder than without the tune. The stock downpipes are super restrictive too. I felt a noticeable increase in power after the time and downpipes.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never used any Whipple products but they have a good reputation and look to be high quality. If I was going to stay with the stock IC location I would have gone with them. I just want the winch there. And yeah the Full Tace is super expensive. I've used their stuff on a previous car and the quality is top notch.

I'm liking the downpipes right now. It opens up the sound when you push the gas but is still quiet when cruising. Interesting enough is that with the 5 Star tune the exhaust is much louder than without the tune. The stock downpipes are super restrictive too. I felt a noticeable increase in power after the time and downpipes.

Yes I have heard nothing but good things about both companies. I have been looking for info on the Whipple IC but havent found much. After what i have heard here and reading i really think the Whipple cooler and the Turbosmart BOV might be a great upgrade for me with the current setup. What do you think? Or do you think the Full Race would be a better?

Wow the tune opened it up that much. Man I really want some downpipes but i think ill wait till i get my 5star tune and then see. If i go downpipes ill prob have to redo my exhaust again to quite it down even more.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So guys I think I'm going to upgrade the intercooler when I swap the bumper. I'm leaning toward the Whipple as I believe it will be more than i need for my setup and it's half of the ADD/Full race one.
What do y'all think about the Whipple IC? Any one have it yet?

Mcnawsty

Banned
Reaction score
Full Race is the only place you should go for ecoboost performance parts. With that said, an intercooler is a waste of money for you.