Intake Options for the Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The258

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know...I know... intakes don't do much. But I just love the increased intake noise they provide.

If you are running an intake, which did you get? How do you like it?

The options I currently see are AFE, Roush and S&B, anything else out there?

Actually on forced induction it does do much. I don't own a Jenny but I do have a 2011 Eb f150. I have the stage 2 afe. Not only is it bad ass looking but both turbos have its own filter rather two have one.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was just looking at the Momentum GT vs the Magnum Stage 2 --- Interesting that the momentum seems to draw air from the outside, as a sealed unit .. yet the Magnum is more free flowing under the hood --- ehh.. I'm not sure which would be better.

Anyone try both on a regular F150?

Momentum GT

Magnum Force Stage2

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The magnum looks killer but that price is absurd. My hand TIG'd custom stainless cat back was less $.

I'd be keeping an eye on Full Race for mods, they were doing dual injected 3.5 Eco's before anyone else.

Last edited:

Dachuri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just looking at the Momentum GT vs the Magnum Stage 2 --- Interesting that the momentum seems to draw air from the outside, as a sealed unit .. yet the Magnum is more free flowing under the hood --- ehh.. I'm not sure which would be better.

Based off other CAIs I've installed it looks like the Magnum will reuse the OE air box - filter sits inside the box reusing the OE air scoop extending towards the grille while the polished aluminum heat shield top will snap onto the air box, like the OE top does. The Momentum GT will completely replace the OE setup and should be a fully sealed unit. From a heat rejection standpoint, both models are probably very comparable. What's interesting is aFe advertises the CFM of the Magnum but not the CFM of the Momentum GT.

If I were considering either aFe intakes, I'd ask them what each part numbers' filtration efficiency is. Then compare that filtration efficiency to our OE paper filters. Most aftermarket CAI will outflow the OE setup. The question is which option can outflow OE while also providing a higher rate of filtration efficiency. Sure there's a point of diminishing returns where the engine no longer benefits from the increased air flow, but as long as the filter is stopping dirt and dust more efficiently than OE, and it's something someone wants to install, they should do it. If you're going balls-out with upgraded turbos, a turboback exhaust setup, a tune and whatever else you're bolting onto that truck, there's probably a good chance your engine's combustion process will benefit from increased CFM over the OE intake.

Sungod661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having played with air intakes in my last car a bmw x5 , i can tell you dust in your engine is a real possibility if you make the wrong choice . Tried to save a few bucks and went with bms CAI and after a week with it on i brought my car for a oil change , oil was so dirty that if i had continued i would have damaged the engine. Ended up going with bmw upgrade which was a closed CAI. Mind you i saw no difference in performance with either. Had a after market exhaust and a tune but cant say the the CAI added much would have need to do a dyno before and after.

I would say a exhaust sustem and a tune are definitively going to give a boost in hp and torque.

A CAI and turbo adapters i would need more independent dynos for me to conclude that they are worth the $$$$$$. I am sure they offer some sort of performance benefit but before throwing down the $$$ i would like to see definitive numbers

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way to increase performance with a CAI and not loose filtration protection is to stick with a non oiled filter and you have to increase surface area...more surface area you can get more flow...the problem will become getting enough packaging space to make a filter like this and making sure it doesnt get heat soaked under the hood...a lot of these "cold air intakes'' are not cold at all...by opening the intake top up you just increase your ambient intake air temps. Most CAIs are a waste of money...they may increase your intake flow rate but it comes at the expense of letting more dirt into your engine.

Sungod661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way to increase performance with a CAI and not loose filtration protection is to stick with a non oiled filter and you have to increase surface area...more surface area you can get more flow...the problem will become getting enough packaging space to make a filter like this and making sure it doesnt get heat soaked under the hood...a lot of these "cold air intakes'' are not cold at all...by opening the intake top up you just increase your ambient intake air temps. Most CAIs are a waste of money...they may increase your intake flow rate but it comes at the expense of letting more dirt into your engine.

Great post but what solution would you propose for us looking for a little more hp and torque?

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great post but what solution would you propose for us looking for a little more hp and torque?

tune, downpipe with no cats...you will get minimum to no gains with an aftermarket exhaust vs stock. The stock exhaust is very free flowing.

FYI high flow cats are garbage dont waste your money on them. You will be lucky to pick up 1hp if any at all and they quality of them are junk. Aftermarket cats only need to have a 1 year warranty...your OEM Cats have a 8 year 100k mile warranty.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tune, downpipe with no cats...you will get minimum to no gains with an aftermarket exhaust vs stock. The stock exhaust is very free flowing.

FYI high flow cats are garbage dont waste your money on them. You will be lucky to pick up 1hp if any at all and they quality of them are junk. Aftermarket cats only need to have a 1 year warranty...your OEM Cats have a 8 year 100k mile warranty.

Pretty much this, the high flows draw in a premium. I'm not sure the truck would be much louder with the off-road compared to the high flow maybe a tad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk