Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]

Installed new model TurboSmart BOV kit

This is a discussion on Installed new model TurboSmart BOV kit within the Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!
Ordered a TurboSmart BOV from CJ pony parts a few weeks ago, they came in a received my kit this ...

User Tag List

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2017, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Installed new model TurboSmart BOV kit
Ordered a TurboSmart BOV from CJ pony parts a few weeks ago, they came in a received my kit this afternoon

-new kit part # ts-0215-1371 with the right fittings/ adapters for the new Raptor, vs the old ones out there.

Install was rather easy.

TurboSmart posted a youtube video that covers install quite well.

https://youtu.be/UNVGRJ_gRlI

Took just over 2 hrs, actual work time by myself, in between time outs to handle phone calls and other interuptions.

- few notes I relized, at least for me, while doing install.

-some added time for Raptor owners taking the front skid plate down.

-i noticed in the video their vehicle does not have the dual electric cooling fan setup behind the intercooler, like on the Raptor. that added a little more difficulty / fumbling around with on the in/ out process. don't forget to remover it's wiring harness before removing the bottom plate.
* during reinstall i was able to get the two bolts just started on the intercooler bracket, then make sure all the upper and lower bushing mounts were lined up correctly, then tighted each bolt a little side by side till tightened down.

- the Evap circuit connector/adapter, this thing was a pain for me to get on the nipple coming off the intake manifold. sprayed a little silicon spray into the housing orings, still had to tap it on with a mini rubber mallet. Worried the nipple might snap at any time...

If you're is this tight too i would unplug the larger Evap tube, that is under the factory line you replace, that also has a green retaining/release clip. it gave me more room work the adapter on far enough for the retaining clip to be in place.

-I installed the CEL eliminator onto the factory BOV harness while the IC was out and there was plenty of room.

- I rotated the hose 4 clamps on two inlet side boost boots to better positions during reinstall.

besides that, it was easy as they make it look in the video.

As far as sound goes, IT SOUNDS AWESOME!!!

If you're into the BOV WOOOOSHHH sound, might not be for everyone, but I for one love it!

I'd do the 5 min mod to vent the factory BOV to atmosphere, and if you like that sound but want more of it, then I say its a no brainer.

Roush CAI
Turbosmart BOV
xgardx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Originally Posted by xgardx View Post
Ordered a TurboSmart BOV from CJ pony parts a few weeks ago, they came in a received my kit this afternoon

-new kit part # ts-0215-1371 with the right fittings/ adapters for the new Raptor, vs the old ones out there.

Install was rather easy.

TurboSmart posted a youtube video that covers install quite well.

https://youtu.be/UNVGRJ_gRlI

Took just over 2 hrs, actual work time by myself, in between time outs to handle phone calls and other interuptions.

- few notes I relized, at least for me, while doing install.

-some added time for Raptor owners taking the front skid plate down.

-i noticed in the video their vehicle does not have the dual electric cooling fan setup behind the intercooler, like on the Raptor. that added a little more difficulty / fumbling around with on the in/ out process. don't forget to remover it's wiring harness before removing the bottom plate.
* during reinstall i was able to get the two bolts just started on the intercooler bracket, then make sure all the upper and lower bushing mounts were lined up correctly, then tighted each bolt a little side by side till tightened down.

- the Evap circuit connector/adapter, this thing was a pain for me to get on the nipple coming off the intake manifold. sprayed a little silicon spray into the housing orings, still had to tap it on with a mini rubber mallet. Worried the nipple might snap at any time...

If you're is this tight too i would unplug the larger Evap tube, that is under the factory line you replace, that also has a green retaining/release clip. it gave me more room work the adapter on far enough for the retaining clip to be in place.

-I installed the CEL eliminator onto the factory BOV harness while the IC was out and there was plenty of room.

- I rotated the hose 4 clamps on two inlet side boost boots to better positions during reinstall.

besides that, it was easy as they make it look in the video.

As far as sound goes, IT SOUNDS AWESOME!!!

If you're into the BOV WOOOOSHHH sound, might not be for everyone, but I for one love it!

I'd do the 5 min mod to vent the factory BOV to atmosphere, and if you like that sound but want more of it, then I say its a no brainer.

Video or it didn't happen! Haha
smurfslayer and sp2pilot like this.
That Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Looks like I'll have to finally figure out how to upload them to the YouTube, lol
hamster, sp2pilot and ASD1 like this.

Roush CAI
Turbosmart BOV
Old 07-29-2017, 03:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

Are you adding NAWS as well?
Sasquatch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

anyone know how is this in comparison to a vta mod ? any added benefits?
Trashguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

aka Rick

Mentioned: 395 Post(s)

Did it throw any codes? I've seen mixed comments that you need a tune to tune out the bov code that this causes.

2014 RR SE SCREW | #792 of #3396 in RR | #4568 of #22409 Total | My Mods: Click Here
2008 Shelby Mustang GT500 Torch Red Convertible | #58 of #463 in Torch Red | #249 of #2070 Total
Raptor Runs: TRR 14'/15'/16'/17' | Raptoberfest 14'/15'/16'/17' | Time Attack 14' | Snoball 15' | AR Run 15' | TRR Baja 16' | Private Baja Jan 17'
RDFTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Compared to the VTA mod, it seems to have a faster response than factory BOV, and is definitely louder/ more pronounced. Neither the VTA mod or the turbosmart valve have thrown a code on me yet, had about 400miles with VTA, and now 800 with turbosmart valve.

Only code is : twice now; threw the P04DB, but that's related to my CAI without the air '' silencer rings'' in place. At least from what Roush and my other research tells me.

Roush CAI
Turbosmart BOV
Old 08-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Have you had to adjust the setting on the BOV at all to make it "harder" or "softer"?
Curious where your setting was at when you received it?
The nipple is just covering the letters "har" in the word "harder".

Old 08-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

VTA actually increases the spool time for your turbos between shifts and accel/decel. It may not be as noticable in this platform but on my EVO (2.0L) it is. Personally, I am a function over looks and sound guy.
DrippinRaptor and ASD1 like this.
BlackEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Originally Posted by BlackEvo View Post
VTA actually increases the spool time for your turbos between shifts and accel/decel. It may not be as noticable in this platform but on my EVO (2.0L) it is. Personally, I am a function over looks and sound guy.

So your saying the electronic stock BOV is better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jayrod is offline   Reply With Quote