Installed my S&B CAI today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJSP117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have not had a chance to take it out yet, but did the install tonight in about an hour. Great looking setup, especially with the clear window. Really clean design and looks so much better than stock. S&B was waiting to release until they had an extender for the MAF wiring harness...they're in stock now and ready to ship. I called them directly and their customer service was great. Killer price as well compared to some of the other CAI kits out there. $299 as opposed to $500+

https://www.sbfilters.com/ymme/?find=2017-ford-f-150-v6-3-5l-ecoboost--gas-85552

I'll drive it tomorrow and post whether it feels or sounds any different. Will post pics as well if I can figure out how to ge them small enough to allow me to post.
Also took out the black finned things from inside the air tubes....maybe it'll sound better now.

gentz002

Banned
Reaction score
looks nice. and a reasonable price for once. Let us know how it sounds. Maybe post a video

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also took out the black finned things from inside the air tubes....maybe it'll sound better now.

Don't you think they put them in there for a reason?
There must have been a turbulence issue somewhere for a manufacture to spend the money to make them.
The Gen 1 has baffles in box by the TB, guys took them out only to find that the truck didn't run right.
I'm not saying you'll definitely will have problems, who knows, I guess you'll find out for us.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NJSP117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't you think they put them in there for a reason?
There must have been a turbulence issue somewhere for a manufacture to spend the money to make them.
The Gen 1 has baffles in box by the TB, guys took them out only to find that the truck didn't run right.
I'm not saying you'll definitely will have problems, who knows, I guess you'll find out for us.

I'm not sure why those little black rotors are in there. Easy enough to pop back in though. They just sit inside the upper tubes. Saw another post about people taking them out, so I took them out while in there. I think someone posted that they were there to quiet the sound down.

The S&B sounds great. Not sure why, but you can really hear the turbo whine much more with the new CAI in place. It's a little louder, but not much. I gotta say, the people at S&B are super responsive if you have any questions on their products. Emails are returned within 30 minutes. The CAI is really well made and fits great in the engine bay.

Found the post about the black finned rings....maybe they are for noise reduction?

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f261/plastic-parts-inside-intake-53592/

Last edited:

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any owners with this kit installed, can you run a scan for codes? We have two trucks in our group that have these S&B's installed, Both show misfire codes since installing/after clearing/ etc

Curious if others show this as well, and a tune might be needed to keep this from triggering CE light. I've seen this on other platforms, where the location of the pcv line in relation to the maf or other sensors causes this effect... but that's just a thought

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have not had a chance to take it out yet, but did the install tonight in about an hour. Great looking setup, especially with the clear window. Really clean design and looks so much better than stock. S&B was waiting to release until they had an extender for the MAF wiring harness...they're in stock now and ready to ship. I called them directly and their customer service was great. Killer price as well compared to some of the other CAI kits out there. $299 as opposed to $500+

https://www.sbfilters.com/ymme/?find=2017-ford-f-150-v6-3-5l-ecoboost--gas-85552

I'll drive it tomorrow and post whether it feels or sounds any different. Will post pics as well if I can figure out how to ge them small enough to allow me to post.

S&B builds a really nice product at a great price point. I never received a product update email that they had a Raptor intake out but I'm glad they do! If S&B has shipped the intake with some kind of a foil in the intake tube or anything else there is a reason. Probably reduced turbulence thus increasing airflow. I would leave it in the intake tube. S&B has always been about performance AND sound.