Installed my Borla S and first impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jay....

You know it's interesting.... I've looked at every dyno run I can find... and the only consistent thing is that there is no consistency!

I've seen baseline numbers of anything from 330 to 370 and wide variability even on the same mode dyno and even variability on the SAME dyno with different trucks.

I don't know why that is... but anyway...

Here is what I do know... it's almost 6000 lbs... it's about as aerodynamic as a rolling cereal box... and with a simple intake and 5 star tune I'm able to consistently run to 60 under 5 seconds... and that's without torque loading on the brakes and launching... just a dead stop to 60.

So whatever power it's cranking out to make that happen is pretty impressive to me!

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jay....

You know it's interesting.... I've looked at every dyno run I can find... and the only consistent thing is that there is no consistency!

I've seen baseline numbers of anything from 330 to 370 and wide variability even on the same mode dyno and even variability on the SAME dyno with different trucks.

I don't know why that is... but anyway...

Here is what I do know... it's almost 6000 lbs... it's about as aerodynamic as a rolling cereal box... and with a simple intake and 5 star tune I'm able to consistently run to 60 under 5 seconds... and that's without torque loading on the brakes and launching... just a dead stop to 60.

So whatever power it's cranking out to make that happen is pretty impressive to me!

I think the gear plays a part in the numbers. If I can use 6th I will I think 7th isn't going to work but maybe. I'm just curious to see what each power added is doing. Should be interesting needless to say. The truck def feels strong and the butt test has been positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No doubt...

My 7000 miles and 50 percent rear tire tread life confirms.

Hehehehe

QUOTE=Jayrod;1178375]I think the gear plays a part in the numbers. If I can use 6th I will I think 7th isn't going to work but maybe. I'm just curious to see what each power added is doing. Should be interesting needless to say. The truck def feels strong and the butt test has been positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
Wizo

Wizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this thread got way off track but I wanted to add my thoughts to my posts.

I since put my stock back on and I am so much happier with it. I liked having some of the aggressive tones but on a daily basis it's draining. The stock sounds great and good enough for a V6 eco. I wish it was a V8 sometimes because I have had plenty and know what it could be but at the same time the stock has a nice tone and it's great on the highway.

Long story short - unless you want something really in your face... keep it stock.

By the way - Borla stepped up for me and their customer service was top notch. They agreed to refund me and take it back.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If my hunch is right...

The FOMOCO touring exhaust will be as pleasant as stock with a little more growl on take off and 12 extra horsepower.

Stay tuned!

So this thread got way off track but I wanted to add my thoughts to my posts.

I since put my stock back on and I am so much happier with it. I liked having some of the aggressive tones but on a daily basis it's draining. The stock sounds great and good enough for a V6 eco. I wish it was a V8 sometimes because I have had plenty and know what it could be but at the same time the stock has a nice tone and it's great on the highway.

Long story short - unless you want something really in your face... keep it stock.

By the way - Borla stepped up for me and their customer service was top notch. They agreed to refund me and take it back.

D-Dub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. The Borla is louder.

All I can say is...
Those jerks...

But truly my friend.... there are 4 different Borla made exhaust as of July 22 2017.

S type and ATAK BORLA BUILT AND DESIGNED

FOMOCO Ford Performance by Borla SPORT AND TOURING.

Bottom line according to Borla is that their design is louder with a more aggressive sound and there is exhaust noise in the cab at higher RPM and during acceleration. Call it drone. Call it noise. Doesn't matter. You won't hear it cruising until you get over 75mph so they designed the resonance above most driving speeds. They did a nice job.

For people who don't want to hear a lot of exhaust sound in the cab... FOMOCO is the better option. The Ford Performance sport edition is what Borla described to me as the equivalent of what would have been their TOURING design had they built it. The Ford performance touring edition is just even more mellow.... one notch above stock. All 4 make 12 horsepower. Borla is able to achieve this by using a passive 3 inch exhaust valve in the ford performance systems... so when you stomp it... it's straight through

Yeah the Borla is going to be louder then stock... but I have no comparison for the FOMOCO exhausts. I would like to hear them, more over, I would have liked to know of their existence. Kinda torques my butt... you call the source and get inaccurate information. I research before I buy... I’ll give the benefit of the doubt (cautiously I might add) to FP, I bought my exhaust in March, I took delivery of the truck in late January. Flip side is, someone at Ford should have known there was going to be two FOMOCO exhausts available. Just another nail in the Ford coffin for me... I quit buying Ford years ago, for many of the same reasons. But ever since the truck was initially purpose built for the Border Patrol, I’ve wanted one... now I have one... wish it was a V8... oh well...

RUFdriver

Reaction score
If my hunch is right...

The FOMOCO touring exhaust will be as pleasant as stock with a little more growl on take off and 12 extra horsepower.

Stay tuned!

Guy, the Ford exhaust is going to sound better for sure, but I'm highly skeptical of 12 HP. My experience on turbos has been unless the exhaust has significantly less back pressure the gains will be minimal, probably single digit. The biggest restriction to flow is the cats, most OEM cats are 600-800 cell, you're going to have to change to 100-200 cell cats or run it cat less. Of course this will also require a tune. And a catless car drones like a ****.
Bottom line cat back exhausts are for sound only, any power gains are gravy. I wouldn't trust chassis dyno numbers , just too many variables. The Dynojet tends to inflate the numbers , kind of like running a car down hill, Mustang dynos are supposedly more realistic in terms of numbers. The ultimate is an engine dyno, but nobody is going to do that.

lars464

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed my FOMOCO Sport about 6 weeks ago. It is nicely louder on cold starts, and slightly louder during normal driving. I do not like loud systems, and this one is just about perfect for me. As far as performance gains, I feel none at all. Perhaps when the FOMOCO Tune comes out I can feel some power gains.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way you ever would. If it's 12 horsepower as advertised... that's 2.5% increase over stock. There is no way you'd be able to pick that up with your seats of the pants.

However... it's the cumulative effect of 10-12 horsepower here and there... that adds up to significant difference...

A local dyno shop I talked to said they are seeing around 25 horsepower from a catback and a CAI together. You throw in a tune for another 80 and you're on to something. Before you know it.... you're pushing 475RWHP... or about 100bhp over stock.

For relatively minor changes

I installed my FOMOCO Sport about 6 weeks ago. It is nicely louder on cold starts, and slightly louder during normal driving. I do not like loud systems, and this one is just about perfect for me. As far as performance gains, I feel none at all. Perhaps when the FOMOCO Tune comes out I can feel some power gains.

RUFdriver

Reaction score
No way you ever would. If it's 12 horsepower as advertised... that's 2.5% increase over stock. There is no way you'd be able to pick that up with your seats of the pants.

However... it's the cumulative effect of 10-12 horsepower here and there... that adds up to significant difference...

A local dyno shop I talked to said they are seeing around 25 horsepower from a catback and a CAI together. You throw in a tune for another 80 and you're on to something. Before you know it.... you're pushing 475RWHP... or about 100bhp over stock.

For relatively minor changes
Oh dude, it just doesn't work that way, it's just not that easy. Horsepower gains are not additive, in other words a muffler adds 12 hp and a CAI adds 12 so you must have at least 24 right?... wrong, it's the combo, that might increase the power, but I'll bet it's not 25 hp, the actual number is probably much more modest. Ford or any manufacturer would never leave that much power on the table. CAI only works if it's delivering cold air, with a ram air setup, not just recirculatied engine compartment air. Most factory air boxes already deliver more air than the engine can use, there's very little power to be found in a cone filter. Be wary of chassis dyno claims.