Installed my Borla S and first impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D-Dub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Truth about the S-Type and ATAK

Guy - thus far, the only “approved” Ford Performance Exhaust is the S-Type and ATAK. So instead of debating, Call Matt, at Ford Performance... 800-367-3788. What is the FOMOCO part number to the exhaust system you are referring to? Yes, Borla did design and build the S-Type and ATAK specific for the 2017 Raptor, with a licensing agreement with Ford. I don’t care where you order the exhaust from, it will come from Ford. I ordered my S-Type from Stage 3 Motorsports. Sure enough it was shipped out of the the Ford warehouse out of Livonia, MI. Call Matt... he can explain it better. I did, because I sure wasn’t expecting where it was shipped from.

I’m still in shock that the stock exhaust was made by Borla... not so much the Performance Exhaust, but still shocked. I could not believe that the entire cat back and muffler of the S-Type, was smaller then the stock muffler. WOW... I guess the EPA really does a number on stock parts, even those made by Performance Companies.

Last edited:

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're just not following me.

Borla makes 4different aftermarket exhausts for the raptor.

S type
ATAK.

These are designed and built by borla

There is FOMOCO ford performance by Borla
Touring
Sport

These ARE NOT THE SAME AS THE S TYPE AND ATAK and utilize a RESONATOR. These are designed by FORD and built by Borla. Not only are these NOT the same exhausts, but they look and sound completely different.

Call Chris over at Borla and ask him yourself.

Better yet.... go look up the FOMOCO Ford Performance exhausts and VISUALLY compare them to the S type and ATAK. They aren't the same. I would know. I'm looking at one in a box right now.

What

QUOTE=D-Dub;1176176]Guy - thus far, the only “approved” Ford Performance Exhaust is the S-Type and ATAK. So instead of debating, Call Matt, at Ford Performance... 800-367-3788. What is the FOMOCO part number to the exhaust system you are referring to? Yes, Borla did design and build the S-Type and ATAK specific for the 2017 Raptor, with a licensing agreement with Ford. I don’t care where you order the exhaust from, it will come from Ford. I ordered my S-Type from Stage 3 Motorsports. Sure enough it was shipped out of the the Ford warehouse out of Livonia, MI. Call Matt... he can explain it better. I did, because I sure wasn’t expecting where it was shipped from.

I’m still in shock that the stock exhaust was made by Borla... not so much the Performance Exhaust, but still shocked. I could not believe that the entire cat back and muffler of the S-Type, was smaller then the stock muffler. WOW... I guess the EPA really does a number on stock parts, even those made by Performance Companies.[/QUOTE]

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Not to be a jerk but this was stated in many different ways in other threads.

The FOMOCO FORD PERFORMANCE BY BORLA exhaust are made by Borla yes.

HOWEVER.... Borla did not design them and they did not spec them out.

They were designed and blueprinted by Ford as was They stock exhaust.... Borla just manufactures Ford's design.

This is DIFFERENT than their S Type and ATAK which BORLA designed themselves in-house and is DESIGNED AND BUILT by Borla. They use an X pipe and no resonator.

All of the Ford Performance Designs use a resonator.

How do I know all this wonderful information?

Borla told me.

So Borla said they are manufacturing the OEM stock exhaust?

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Borla said they are manufacturing the OEM stock exhaust?

Borla never told me that they make the stock system.

In that original post I just meant that Ford designed the stock system as did they design the ford performance systems.

The other poster pointed out that Borla builds the stock system as Well. That may well be true, but I was never given that info. Just that they build the FOMOCO exhaust to Fords design specs and that they are not the same as their S type and ATAK but the power output is identical.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're just not following me.

Borla makes 4different aftermarket exhausts for the raptor.

S type

ATAK.

These are designed and built by borla

There is FOMOCO ford performance by Borla

Touring

Sport

These ARE NOT THE SAME AS THE S TYPE AND ATAK and utilize a RESONATOR. These are designed by FORD and built by Borla. Not only are these NOT the same exhausts, but they look and sound completely different.

Call Chris over at Borla and ask him yourself.

Better yet.... go look up the FOMOCO Ford Performance exhausts and VISUALLY compare them to the S type and ATAK. They aren't the same. I would know. I'm looking at one in a box right now.

What

QUOTE=D-Dub;1176176]Guy - thus far, the only “approved” Ford Performance Exhaust is the S-Type and ATAK. So instead of debating, Call Matt, at Ford Performance... 800-367-3788. What is the FOMOCO part number to the exhaust system you are referring to? Yes, Borla did design and build the S-Type and ATAK specific for the 2017 Raptor, with a licensing agreement with Ford. I don’t care where you order the exhaust from, it will come from Ford. I ordered my S-Type from Stage 3 Motorsports. Sure enough it was shipped out of the the Ford warehouse out of Livonia, MI. Call Matt... he can explain it better. I did, because I sure wasn’t expecting where it was shipped from.

I’m still in shock that the stock exhaust was made by Borla... not so much the Performance Exhaust, but still shocked. I could not believe that the entire cat back and muffler of the S-Type, was smaller then the stock muffler. WOW... I guess the EPA really does a number on stock parts, even those made by Performance Companies.
[/QUOTE]

Guy is correct. The Ford exhaust aftermarket is designed by the ford team and manufacture by Borla. The systems are different than the Atak and S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sungod661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Borla did not make the stock exhaust. Btw just for fun i put the resonator on with my Atak sounds a lot like the s type maybe a little less rapsy byt a good compromise for thise who bought. The atak and figured it was too loud. I deleted the resonator and went back to just the Atak it has really grown on me it was a great upgrade

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Borla did not make the stock exhaust. Btw just for fun i put the resonator on with my Atak sounds a lot like the s type maybe a little less rapsy byt a good compromise for thise who bought. The atak and figured it was too loud. I deleted the resonator and went back to just the Atak it has really grown on me it was a great upgrade

That is a pretty solid idea btw. Maybe folks with the S could do it as well if its to loud.

OP
OP
Wizo

Wizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to do this in the morning but Borla has been nice enough to refund me my money as my system was defective. I sent sound clips and they agreed it was louder than what it should have been.

This morning I had it removed and stock out back on. The guy offered to install the front resonator in place of the xpipe and thought it would solve my problems. The problem with that was he was going to have to cut some pipes and I chose not to so I could get my refund. It's probably what I would have done if Borla didn't help me.

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Correct.. The factory exhaust is manufactured by Tenneco.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct.. The factory exhaust is manufactured by Tenneco.

I don't know why people keep saying that. It's clearly been stated borla builds the ford designed ford aftermarket exhaust in touring and sport. Borla also has their own S and Atak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk