Hp/Tq numbers with mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it was straight pipes! Definitely helped. Im pretty sure stock was 2.25", so 3" was a big jump.

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Uhh just saw a video where where a guy put a go pro in the engine compartment... are turbos supposed to be red hot? When he would get on it they would turn red hot.

Yeah they get red hot depending on how you are using the truck. There's a promo video when Ford released the first EcoBoost. It shows the turbos getting red hot under load.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

Here's the link to the red turbos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h2HJd-0QKc

Kngranch

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I recently purchased two OBDLink MX's (wifi just to use with my IOS devices and the bluetooth to eventually use forescan/laptop) and according to the OBDlink app and DashCmd app, the max boost recorded was 19.2 psi in sport mode using 91 octane fuel.

A little off topic, but it was pretty interesting to see that the alternator appears to charge the battery primarily when coasting. Even under very light throttle, the voltage stays around 13.2v but immediately when you let off the throttle, it jumps to 14.2v - 14.8v.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
You do know that this ecoboost adaptation includes using the Ford Battery Monitor System (BMS), right? The alternator is cutoff when the barrery reads sufficient voltage. When it drops below a certain level, it engages the alternator to charge back up, then disengages... all for fuel economy. When you replace the battery, you will need to have the dealer reset the BMS so that the system resets. If not, mpg will not be great.

docster

Reaction score
I was searching for tech data that lists the exhaust diameter but came up dry. But in this video, they have a Raptor with the body removed and I'll be damned if that exhaust doesn't look huge. I agree that it looks like dual 3". Sometimes the camera can play tricks but it is safe to say that the OEM piping diameter will not be a restriction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdewOFPiPkk

As mentioned previously, downpipes are the more likely exhaust bottleneck.

Let's hope this platform keeps revealing more and more overbuilt hardware as we tear into it. Fingers crossed that the factory intercooler has as much headroom as this exhaust seems to. Given the anticipated duty cycle of an offroad full-size pickup, I'm betting on it.

It would be great if an owner could bolt on a pair of worked KO4s, downpipes and a good tune and have a solid 650bhp. That is my rough goal with the truck and it would be nice to save the $3,000 or so that a new IC and exhaust would cost. It may even be possible to gut the stock downpipes and run some O2 simulators for a cheap solution there. Time will tell once owners start getting bored with the truck in stock form...

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

You personally verified this or did you come across it in print somewhere?

Hoping you have a truck and it is an actual measurement.

You do realize there are about 5-7 different variations of a K03 right? I also had an S4. I had rs6 turbos on mine. But the stock K03 on that could flow far less than the K03 on the first gen 3.5 because the exhaust and compressor wheels are completely different. Along with the intake and exhaust size.

Same for K04. Multiple versions for very different applications.

It's like saying a GT28 turbo is a GT28. Look up how many variations of that there are. Tons. And all capable of very different power numbers and curves on the same engine.

Just saying you cannot speculate how much a tune can make just by knowing the frame of the turbo. Lot more to it.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never presented my thoughts as anything but educated guesses. Based on the power curves I have seen, my estimates for tuned power will be right on, I promise.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:specialed:

This news of the stock turbos running out of puff above 20psi was indeed what I was getting at. Typical K04 performance. 600 crank on stock turbos is still feasible once the intercoolers and gutted downpipes come on stream. Above that you'll be needing to step up your turbo game.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally different turbos. Much larger housing to be able to supply 30psi. I think I read somewhere that the GT's turbos are made by IHI, but I could be mistaken on that. Information is scant and I doubt my neighbor will be parking one in his garage for me to look at.

MadRaptor65

Reaction score
I know the turbo motors have good potential with just the tune. But man I never realized they could have that much potential.

That would be some crazy fun power for a Raptor.

My problem is I'm afraid to do much that would affect my warranty. My luck I'd be that guy that smokes a transmission or finds the weak point of the motor and it pops.

I'm a player for those turbo adapters though. If they gain 20 hp and are just a bolt on item that doesn't require a tune, I'm in. There is a link to a dyno sheet from those adapters on a 16 ecoboost that showed a good solid 20 hp gain and 15 - 17 lb ft tq increase across the entire rpm range. There is a guy on another forum doing a back to back dyno test on them today to see if those claims hold true.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

Darin, I did see those. Any idea how difficult they are to get in? Looks easy, but hard to tell how much room there is to work down where they are located.

Our first Raptor just came in the other day. When they were doing the PDI on it in the shop I went out and looked it over. I couldn't really tell how hard the turbos are to get to because of the pans covering the bottom of the motor. I didn't want take my customers new truck apart so I don't know yet. My truck should be here in the next two week. I plan on pulling the pans off so I can see where the turbos are and how hard they are to reach. With having to pull the studs to replace these I think the sooner that is done the easier they will come out. From what I've read the heat cycling makes them extremely difficult to get out.[/QUOTE]
Hennessey's New "Exorcist" Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Set to Terrorize Hellcats - Motor Trend
I think that getting 550 rwhp, the Transmission is going to be one of the weak links. The Exorcist Camaro has a 10-speed transmission option but it must get a 10k upgrade to handle the 1000 hp.
One other issue is the drive train. If we are pushing 500+ lbs of TQ on the 35'' Rear wheel, shit is going to snap. It might be ok while driving in 4 wheel drive since the Hp and TQ will be equally distributed.
If we are going to push the Gen 2, we had better be prepared to beef up the drivetrain as well.
Since Chevy and Ford are partners with the 10-speed Transmission. I would like to know how to get my hands on that Transmission upgrade.