Hp/Tq numbers with mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe CombatNinja can tell by looking at them. The part numbers don't return results on the BW website.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, that is hard to see what is stamped on the actual turbo. I am forward deployed and my only internet access is a tiny phone.

Can anyone with a good monitor make out what is stamped on that turbo? I am talking about the darker grey metal thing, not the shiny metal bit with the manufacturer's tag visible. That is the electronic wastegate actuator, commonly called the N75.

To confirm a ko4 we are looking for a p/n like 5304 9xx 0020. The "9xx" has a few variations but you get the idea.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Man, that is hard to see what is stamped on the actual turbo. I am forward deployed and my only internet access is a tiny phone.

Can anyone with a good monitor make out what is stamped on that turbo? I am talking about the darker grey metal thing, not the shiny metal bit with the manufacturer's tag visible. That is the electronic wastegate actuator, commonly called the N75.

To confirm a ko4 we are looking for a p/n like 5304 9xx 0020. The "9xx" has a few variations but you get the idea.

107961117 BWS 330 28x

Can't make out the last digit

1366 is stamped on the flat spot right next to where the manifold meets the exhaust.

Santiago

Reaction score
Spun the wheels and used the flash

107961 117 BWS 33028C

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 1.45.26 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 1.45.26 PM.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95% sure that is a KO4. The identification plate will be over on the compressor side. It will look pretty much like that other tag that is riveted on in your picture. It is probably oriented so the tag is hidden from your view the way you are looking at it. Grab a little mirror and flashlight, you'll find it.

Barring some crazy revelation that this is some new exotic thing from Borg Warner, let's assume that it is a k04. There is good news and bad news there. The good: it is a durable, proven turbo that has evolved over 20-odd years. More good news comes in the sizing of the compressor wheels, 3.5 liters at a 10:1 compression ratio is plenty to spin these things quickly for almost lag-free performance. I had a pair of these things strapped to and 2.7L Audi S4 running less compression and it was completely drivable.
Now the bad news. If these are indeed KO4s, the factory boost level is right in the thick of their efficiency range. Most guys would tune them to spike around 22psi and taper to 18-19 at redline. There were nut jobs that would spike them to 25 but you are so far off the efficiency map at that point there is no reason for it.
So what's it all mean? Just throwing out a wild-ass preliminary guess, this should yield around an 80ish crank horsepower increase with a conservative tune. Think up to 100 crank with a more aggressive one. Things like downpipes, exhaust and intercoolers are wild cards as nobody knows where or how great the restrictions are.
This is all subject to change and your mileage may vary. I just wanted to be the voice of reason when I hear people discussing getting 200 horsepower from a tune and downpipe. A solid tune from a reputable shop is going to give you a 515-530 horsepower Raptor. Count on it. I would expect full bolt-on trucks to be just shy of 600. Which is plenty considering the stock brakes. Have you seen the brakes on this thing!?

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agreed with combatninja, KO4 is a well proven turbo in the Audi VW market. always having a VW this was the go to on the Golf R platform. They were good for 22 psi all day every day.

VW recently swiched to IHI turbo for the MK7 R, with a mild tune i went from 300 hp, & 300 tq (2 liter 4 cylinder) to 365 hp & 405 tq just by tweaking timing, boost pressure, and fuel.

Santiago

Reaction score
Great info, thanks combatninja!

Yeah, the breaks are awful IMO. I'll definitely be upgrading breaks before the engine.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea. A buddy of mine is running their stage 2 system on a RS7. The only reason I knew anything about APR
You didn't read that very carefully. The 200bhp+ gain for that RS7 is on 100 octane and is measured from the factory reported numbers on 91, which are waaaay low for those cars. 4200 pound, awd sedans trapping 120+ mph in the quarter. Please, that is a 600bhp car all day.
The gains on that chart that are applicable to this discussion would be more like 130bhp gain. That is the Stage 2 tune plus their downpipes on 93 vs. stock on 93. Factor in the APR exaggeration correction factor (they love taking the best run out of 5, not an average) and you are probably around 100 crank. And that is on a pretty exotic 4.0L V8. The heads on those things are works if art and the intake system is incredible, one of the big factors separating it from its lesser S6 bretheren.
I could sit here all day and pontificate on the RS6 but what the hell does that have to do with a 3.5L Ford engine? Not much I suppose.
I just want to be the voice of reason and remind you practice a bit of expectation management.

Last edited: