House of Boost Tuning +40hp +75ft-lb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gentz002

Banned
Reaction score
40 HP seems AWFUL low for a tune on this engine. can get more than that out of a boostmax

2011-14 was 85HP and 90TQ

2015-16 was 77HP and 123TQ

Think those were the highest ive seen.

find it hard to beleive with the HO 3.5 they could only get 40HP and 75TQ

Last edited:

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently House of Boost has tuned a Raptor and has seen over 40 peak hp and 75 ft-lb on stock hardware. They claim it runs out of steam above 20psi boost pressure. The tuner seems like an ecoboost hater so take it with a grain of salt.

Tuning A 2017 F-150 Raptor Yields Over 40 Horsepower!

I hate to say it... but I think what he's saying is mostly true.

I know the guys at JMS backed off on the boost on the boost max... around 2.8 psi of boost which puts it just over 20.... where as they boost the regular ecoboost 5+... there may be a little more
Power on the table but I'm not sure there is a lot more. Maybe 20-30 more ponies if well tuned, but I don't think much more on stock components.

The 5 star tunes right now are probably about the most it'll be.

I think this guy wasn't necessarily tuning for higher octane fuel.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand the need for more power in a ~5800 lb truck. I can understand throttle response and a tune making it more enjoyable to drive, but extra HP isn't going to do much for the driving experience when the vehicle is so heavy and so big to start with?

Maybe it's because I have a separate go fast car, maybe because the truck is always hauling my trailer/dog or getting me through the north east winters, I just don't see wanting to add more power to this thing.

Last edited:

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand the need for more power on a ~5800 lb truck. I can understand throttle response and a tune making it more enjoyable to drive, but extra HP isn't going to do much for the driving experience when the vehicle is so heavy and so big to start with?

Maybe it's because I have a separate go fast car, maybe because the truck is always hauling my trailer/dog or getting me through the north east winters, I just don't see wanting to add more power to this thing.

The statement of, "Why do you need more horsepower?" blows my mind....

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The statement of, "Why do you need more horsepower?" blows my mind....

haha it does sound silly when you put it that way.

I think of power as only good when it can make a positive difference to the driving experience. A 5800 lb rectangular box rolling down the road is still going to handle like crap and roll around corners and still be pretty "slow" even if you add 50-60 hp to it. So why bother? Don't get me wrong, one of the reasons I am upgrading the truck is because my current 236 hp truck isn't cutting it power-wise, but I am not sure I am sold on being able to tell the difference between 450 hp and 500 hp. Nah, I can see a dozen other mods the money can be better spent on, let alone losing the warranty. It is a Ford remember, which mean build quality is most likely not great.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's just a matter of time before all the tuners have tunes available. Back in 2011 when the 1st gen Ecoboost was released in the F150 Bully Dog was first to the market with a tune in December of 2011...That was a long wait. In the following months several others had tunes available. The Bully Dog was a POS and fried a few PCMs.
I ran Livernois tunes on my 2011 and MPT tunes on my 2014. I'm waiting for MPT to have tunes available for my 2017. On the Gen1 Ecoboosts some of the better tunes were seeing gains of 80-90 HP and 100 lb ft.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just a matter of time before all the tuners have tunes available. Back in 2011 when the 1st gen Ecoboost was released in the F150 Bully Dog was first to the market with a tune in December of 2011...That was a long wait. In the following months several others had tunes available. The Bully Dog was a POS and fried a few PCMs.
I ran Livernois tunes on my 2011 and MPT tunes on my 2014. I'm waiting for MPT to have tunes available for my 2017. On the Gen1 Ecoboosts some of the better tunes were seeing gains of 80-90 HP and 100 lb ft.

Your ceiling was higher because your starting point was much lower.

There are only so many ways to extract horsepower from 3.5 liters. 525 at the wheels is about 600 at the crank which puts you at 175 horsepower per liter. I can't see anyone getting over that hump on stock turbos. Realistically I think you're going to see 150-160 horsepower per liter which is going to get you in that 450 to 475 RWHP range on premium. The downpipes and cats are pretty decent stock. There isn't much there. There isn't much in the catback.... intake isn't going to get you anywhere. The spd adapters are limited more by the turbo limitations than anything else...

My prediction... 550 at the crank with a tune, drop in filter and cat backs. Some tuners may push the envelope for a little more... but that's what you are looking at. But think... that's a 5 second truck with a 12 and change quarter. Not to mention with 600lb*ft... not bad for a couple grand investment.

To do more... it's going to cost a lot more... and you're also going to exceed the engineering limits of the engine... which means it's gonna break.. a lot...

Just my two cents

foo.c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My prediction... 550 at the crank with a tune, drop in filter and cat backs. Some tuners may push the envelope for a little more... but that's what you are looking at. But think... that's a 5 second truck with a 12 and change quarter. Not to mention with 600lb*ft... not bad for a couple grand investment.

Sign me up.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your ceiling was higher because your starting point was much lower.

Ed Zachary. The "leftovers" that are/were on the table from the factory for the standard 3.5L EB have been partially consumed by Ford engineers for the HO 3.5L EB. As I understand it. the HO version has some different wheels in the turbos which will contribute to its overall max output being higher than would otherwise be possible (with standard 3.5L EB hardware), but in terms of gains over stock, there just isn't going to be as much headroom with the HO motor.

For another example, look at the 5.2L Voodoo motor vs. the 5.0L Coyote... with a full exhaust upgrade, the Voodoo gains ~24 rwhp, while the Coyote gains 40+ rwhp. Why? Because the Voodoo factory exhaust was better than the Coyote factory exhaust.