Grinding noise on startup 2017 3.5L Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wreedsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 3.5l Raptor built 6/17.

Mostly when cold I have this awful grinding/rattling/metal on metal noise for a few seconds then it clears up. Sounds like its coming from the transmission area/under the truck. Anyone else have this issue? Any fix? Checked a few other forums, and it seems some people are talking about it but no real fix.

Mine sounds like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X2RrdRr2Uo

OP
OP
W

wreedsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it will happen sometimes when warm, but not as often.

Do you have a video/sound of the cam phaser rattle?

Gargamel

Banned
Reaction score
Probably better if you Google "ecoboost cold start rattle". Listen to all those videos and you will get the idea. Ford has revised cam phasers at least twice e now and they have another design coming soon to address current problems.
Also, definitely take to the dealer and show them the problem. Get it documented and protect yourself.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gargamel is just another iteration of a quite infamous ecoboost user who goes by many names... Sasquatch77 Every time he gets banned he makes a new username and posts with exactly the same mantra.

OP
OP
W

wreedsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most 2017s make this noise. I heard a few others today at the dealer. I am living with it for now. If all other trucks do it, I dont care.

I did have the PCM and TCM updated for hard shifts and the trans is sooo much better now!