Gibson exhaust review/impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I just went for a drive.
70-74 nothing but exhaust noise
75 exhaust gets loud. Not sure I'm hearing drone only loud exhaust from the tailpipes.
Guy are you in or near Chicago?
Worst Drone I ever heard was a SLP can on a skidoo, at high idle you couldn't ever get near the sled....it would literally shake your shield and your filling would fall out!
I don't know man... exhaust noise is pleasant. This is an outerworldly HUM.

It goes away above 3000 RPM.

Unfortunately I'm east coast. I'd love to compare.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
Ford commented that they spent a LONG time on the exhaust. I think they had a lot of issues working the drone out of the exhaust while providing decent flow.

Exactly- Ford took a long time to tune out the ****** sound, but still fell short. This Raptor crew will find that the Walker SS Quiet Flow is the only solution to create a livable sound.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The v8 sounding better is such a dumb argument it's getting old. It's a heap of shit compared to the new TT. Sorry but the truth hurts.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Supertuner700

Reaction score
Guy I wonder why they are different? I used SS band clamps for all my connections and some of my pipes are pushed up against the rubber hangers pretty hard. Could that be enough to drop some harmonics that yours is creating? I can take pictures of my mufflers positions or anything else if you want me to.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your troubles Guy. I have a gibson in my toyota 4runner and my impressions are very similar. Picked up mpg but drones on highway in anything but overdrive.

NJSP117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a drone when I switched just the cat backs on a 2009 GT500. I then added an H pipe from a KR GT500, and the drone was gone and it sounded a lot better....deeper and slightly louder. I'm not an exhaust guru, but are there any thoughts to adding a crosspipe after the cats? I know it wouldn't be easy, but maybe a manufacturer could do it?

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has an x pipe just past the cats and the mufflers are positioned near where the old resonator was and there is a long run from the crossover to the mufflers and then a short run to the tips.

There is no room to fit a resonator after the mufflers but they would fit before the mufflers.

Bottom line... the exhaust system is crap for sound if you don't like drone and you want your sanity. On the parkway there is enough low frequency drone that it distorts and he radio even.

I got burned.

I contacted Gibson and I'm guessing I'm not going to get the answers I want. I'll be having it uninstalled once I finish speaking with them this week.

It's no different than the magnaflow.
My money says AFE is no better.

I am guessing the FOMOCO performance exhausts a few guys order for 2 grand will be ok... and if someone can confirm it... maybe I'd consider it at some point if they can show any horsepower gain.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may give these resonators a shot placed just past the x pipe and before the mufflers.

I asked Gibson if they have something to that effect. If so they need to give them to me for free to tryin my opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_2519.jpg
    IMG_2519.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 44