Gibson exhaust review/impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok... I've had time to drive it at all speeds.
Highway. Local. With passengers. Without.

The drone is terrible on the highway. Between 70-75 where you'd normally be cruising sounds exactly like being on a commercial flight and sitting next to the wing by the engines. A hum loud enough that you need the radio at 14 to help drown it out but it still doesn't totally kill it.

Think neighbor two doors down loud lawn mower.

I'm very disappointed. The only thing left is to stew for a week because I got burned.... then I'll call the shop and embarrassingly ask to have the stock reinstalled. 300 bucks to install. 300 to reinstall I'm sure. Basically a thousand bucks for the exhaust. I'm out 1600 bucks.

I might be able to get the exhaust returned if they can get it apart enough to box up. We will see If I can get it back to them.

What I will say is that the idle is pretty nice. Very nice rumble. That's it. The rest of it is terrible. It sounds like a fart can 4 banger, only louder! I'm embarrassed to drive it.

Here is the interesting thing thoUgh. I have picked up 1mpg on the highway , and it's not my imagination. The thing pulls significantly harder over 3500 RPM. It's not a.... is it doing something? Type placebo thing... I'm reasonably sure there is more horsepower, probably in the neighborhood of what Gibson claims. And this also isn't because I like the exhaust and want to be biased. It's terrible and I'm removing it, but I have to give the devil it's dues.

My advice...

Steer clear if you don't like loud drone.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Guy, I hate to see you unhappy with all the helpful posts and all. That’s why I’m willing to help a brutha out.

I’ll give you 2 fiddy for the truck, and you won’t have to spend all that money to get the stock exhaust put back. :biggrin:

So, back to reality. How about this - have you dropped any weight off the truck? maybe putting the resonator back might help?

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smurf

I don't think the resonator lines up well with the Gibson. I'd have to look. Even if it did... I'm not sure it'll fix it. I'm thinking I'll throw more money into it and then still end up in the same place...

Pulling the exhaust. I contacted Gibson and sent them a clip. I want answers. I was promised this wouldn't drone like this, directly from one of their managers.

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guy,

Ask the muffler shop to weld the stock resonator back on. I have just the single Gibson muffler and there is a slight drone but it's not bad, after driving it for a week, I don't even hear it anymore. Same nice idle. When I saw the full Gibson kit, I had a feeling it was going to be loud because they dropped the resonator.

Since there is so much space under the truck, find another pair of 3" resonators and see if that helps. I did this on my diesel Ram a few years back (straight pipe) and it was super loud, but I added a big (3ft long) resonator and it worked out great!

flea_sly

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guy,

Ask the muffler shop to weld the stock resonator back on. I have just the single Gibson muffler and there is a slight drone but it's not bad, after driving it for a week, I don't even hear it anymore. Same nice idle. When I saw the full Gibson kit, I had a feeling it was going to be loud because they dropped the resonator.

Since there is so much space under the truck, find another pair of 3" resonators and see if that helps. I did this on my diesel Ram a few years back (straight pipe) and it was super loud, but I added a big (3ft long) resonator and it worked out great!

I had the muffler delievered to the house yesterday and plan on having it installed early next week. I'm going to have them directly cut off the factory muffler and weld the new one in.

Would you recommend this muffler still?

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's too bad. I guess chalk that up to one of the bad ones. Don't buy a Gibson exhaust for a 2017 Ford Raptor.

Hey one thing, another guy on the forum had a similar issue with another exhaust, turned out to be an exhaust leak. Can you confirm this before you rip it off?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Before you go back to stock, do some research on Heimholtz resonators. There is a thread here about it, but I searched and searched and could not find it. Done right, a Heimholtz resonator will eliminate that drone.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's too bad. I guess chalk that up to one of the bad ones. Don't buy a Gibson exhaust for a 2017 Ford Raptor.

Hey one thing, another guy on the forum had a similar issue with another exhaust, turned out to be an exhaust leak. Can you confirm this before you rip it off?

Good thought. It's not leaking. I had a top quality shop that I regularly use do the work for me and they regularly install cat backs. They did s beautiful job. It's lined up perfectly and they carefully measured all the clearances.

Another sad point... it's a very handsome, quality made exhaust, but the sound has ruined my truck.
No one would even buy this thing if I tried to sell it.

Unless Gibson gets back to me and says, "oh we have x,y,z, that you can bolt in and stop the problem". I'm Removing them. I don't have a decent muffler shop near me to mess with welding in different home brew resonator solutions.... and I don't want to keep throwing money into a sinking ship.

I considered trying a 3 inch resonator tip... replace the Gibson tips and place them instead... but I don't think it's going to do anything helpful. The drone is coming from underneath... directly where the side by side mufflers are.

I'm sure there is an engineering fix for it... but if it was simple or worked.... wouldn't Gibson have already made it that way?

If they want to make an exhaust that drones like a tuba that's fine if they're upfront about it.... and if folks don't mind that knowing that pretense than go for it..... what burns me up is that I discussed this with them before I purchased the exhaust and I was Mislead either intentionally or unintentionally.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You should share this thread with them. They need to fix it or no one will support them.

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Hey one last idea, I think when I get my Ford Performance exhaust that I might actually disable the fake engine noise. I think this works based on the exhaust note. Have you tried this yet?

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be honest...

Losing money stings a little bit.
Wasting time and effort and drop offs and pickups at the shop stings a little bit.
Buying into a product that is a failure stings more.
Not getting the result I hoped for stings the most.

I'm not looking to bash Gibson, but man did this let me down. I'm almost depressed over it.