Ghost tune worth 66hp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't the ecu still record boost levels and therefor upon removal you would have to clear the memory which would also raid red flags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh I'm well aware of that. That's why I posted the heads up. I spend a fair amount of time in the shop when my customers vehicles are down for uncommon issues. I've seen many of the snapshots that the computer takes when an error is detected. Pretty much like black box recording.

That's why I'm scared to do any sort of tuning with my truck. I'm not willing to jeopardize my warranty coverage.

5 star tuning offers their own warranty that will come into effect if your ford warranty is denied.

Tuning a vehicle and hoping for warranty is a touchy subject, and it is something you have to accept. If you wanna play you gotta pay I guess. Ive had modded vehicles get warranty work, and Ive had ot fight to get warranty work on a stock vehicle. Neither is a guarantee.

But if you are worried about voiding, then you should probably not mod at all, because it will be a risk.

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

Wouldn't the ecu still record boost levels and therefor upon removal you would have to clear the memory which would also raid red flags?

The instance I was describing, I was more picturing a WOT pull where the motor blows. The dealer will be able ot see the boost levels in the logs, regardless of what you do.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure there is no way you can clear that out of the memory.

5 star tuning offers their own warranty that will come into effect if your ford warranty is denied.

Tuning a vehicle and hoping for warranty is a touchy subject, and it is something you have to accept. If you wanna play you gotta pay I guess. Ive had modded vehicles get warranty work, and Ive had ot fight to get warranty work on a stock vehicle. Neither is a guarantee.

But if you are worried about voiding, then you should probably not mod at all, because it will be a risk.

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

The instance I was describing, I was more picturing a WOT pull where the motor blows. The dealer will be able ot see the boost levels in the logs, regardless of what you do.

We had an Escape Ecoboost break down. Just basically shut off at highway speed on the customer. Snapshot showed throttle position, engine temp, engine RPM and a slew of other stuff I can't remember. RPM showed like 8,000 which was wrong. However it was wrong because a timing chain sprocket had moved and that's what caused the shutdown. Also caused the incorrect RPM showing.

Just shows me how much Ford can see when there is a failure.

Yes I'm a chicken when it comes to risking my warranty. Especially with a new engine, tranny and transfer case.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very understandable. Increasing the performance of any vehicle comes with a risk for sure.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As it's been said, you have to pay to play. I have also had warranty work done on cars with mods but have never had to deal with a blow motor fight.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any one bother looking at the install instructions

You also have to rewire and change some sensors

100% noticeable if/when something goes wrong

No tune or mod is undetectable, as others have written it's the inherent risk in modding

Pay to play

NJSP117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me too... One reason is because tunes change the shifting strategies to go along with the power increase.

Couldn't you just use the paddle shifters to manually change the shifting strategy?

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

I just pulled down the instructions and it looks like you could install this thing in under an hour. I'm really tempted to place an order tomorrow. I like the fact that it doesn't mess with the ECU which sounds a little safer to me.

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Couldn't you just use the paddle shifters to manually change the shifting strategy?

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

I just pulled down the instructions and it looks like you could install this thing in under an hour. I'm really tempted to place an order tomorrow. I like the fact that it doesn't mess with the ECU which sounds a little safer to me.

The computer can skip gears and it can probably use them much better.

Also if anyone is worried about warranties, they can wait for the Ford Performance tune.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Traditionally, I drive manuals. Whe nI had my ecoboost f150, I got a tuner for more power, but after I received it, I would say the results I enjoyed were 50% power and 50% shift changes which I did not expect. It makes a big difference.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Id be waiting a while for some shops to have some time with one before i tossed in a tune.