Ghost tune worth 66hp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allbizns

Reaction score
Guys boostmax is not a tune. It is a device that piggybacks sensors that the ecu uses to adjust boost,fuel and timing. In nosientific terms it tricks the ecu into thinking it needs more boost which in turn holds the waste gates closed longer adjust the timing and fuel for the additional boost. At no time does it rewrite anything in the ecu. The ecu is only making the adjustments it was designed to based off the new data it is receiving. So understand if you bring the truck in with the boostmax still hooked up yes they will know but if you remove it they will never know anything was done. The only way would be if the factory ecu would set a trigger once it sees the increased boost. That is something I'm not sure about.
Hope this clears up some. I'm sure the guy at JMS boostmax would be more than happy to explain it better.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TXCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like it would be a pretty cheap and reasonably safe way to really improve the throttle response and overall driving experience. May have to do this once a get a few thousand miles on her.

NJSP117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the general consensus on this? Personally, I'd be a little hesitant to add this to a brand new truck. It's hard to believe that it can add 60 RWHP...but that looks like the claim. Seems like a good price compared to some of the tuners out there...i'm more familiar with superchargers than turbos, so I'm not sure if this is the best method for increasing boost. Interested to hear what the turbo guys on the forum have to say about this thing...

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What is the general consensus on this? Personally, I'd be a little hesitant to add this to a brand new truck. It's hard to believe that it can add 60 RWHP...but that looks like the claim. Seems like a good price compared to some of the tuners out there...i'm more familiar with superchargers than turbos, so I'm not sure if this is the best method for increasing boost. Interested to hear what the turbo guys on the forum have to say about this thing...

It works, piggybacking has been done for YEARS and it is nothing new.

Personally, I prefer to go for a "real" tune for a number of reasons

60HP from increasing boost on a turbo vehicle is easy. Think of it as changing your supercharger pulley at the push of a button.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So just a few things for thought.

On my 14' Focus ST the computer would record over boost situations. Not just max over boost but if it saw a higher boost that it was set to see at a specific load it would record that. That could run into a warranty issue right there.

Also depending on how this system attaches it could be detectable once removed. Years ago when a chip was the common method for tuning a car Ford would have us inspect the port where the chip would be installed. If the sealing film was tampered with or we could detect the computer board contacts showed something plugged over them it could run into warranty issues.

So anyone concerned about retaining warranty should check into a few things before buying.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So just a few things for thought.

On my 14' Focus ST the computer would record over boost situations. Not just max over boost but if it saw a higher boost that it was set to see at a specific load it would record that. That could run into a warranty issue right there.

Also depending on how this system attaches it could be detectable once removed. Years ago when a chip was the common method for tuning a car Ford would have us inspect the port where the chip would be installed. If the sealing film was tampered with or we could detect the computer board contacts showed something plugged over them it could run into warranty issues.

So anyone concerned about retaining warranty should check into a few things before buying.

with these vehicles, EVERYTHING is being recorded. So as much as you dont think it is detectable, datalogs showing X fuel flow at X boost will pretty much prove the motor is not stock.

Unless you can find a way to defeat the data recording, you are outta luck if a failure happens during a hard run, the stats will simply show

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It works, piggybacking has been done for YEARS and it is nothing new.

Personally, I prefer to go for a "real" tune for a number of reasons.
Me too... One reason is because tunes change the shifting strategies to go along with the power increase.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
with these vehicles, EVERYTHING is being recorded. So as much as you dont think it is detectable, datalogs showing X fuel flow at X boost will pretty much prove the motor is not stock.

Unless you can find a way to defeat the data recording, you are outta luck if a failure happens during a hard run, the stats will simply show

Oh I'm well aware of that. That's why I posted the heads up. I spend a fair amount of time in the shop when my customers vehicles are down for uncommon issues. I've seen many of the snapshots that the computer takes when an error is detected. Pretty much like black box recording.

That's why I'm scared to do any sort of tuning with my truck. I'm not willing to jeopardize my warranty coverage.