Gearhead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bevan11

Reaction score
These guys are making power up there with MPT!
https://gearheadautomotiveperformance.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=141_168_170&product_id=255

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What tuner device do they use?

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

They are using Sae J1349 which is a correction factor that assumes 15 percent drive train loss.

In other words.... you’re seeing inflated horsepower numbers and an inflated delta.

It’s still probably a nice gain though.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is important to remember...as a whole...

Fuel air spark boost... that’s the general parameters to adjust for making more torque.
Horsepower is calculated from the measured torque on the dyno.

Whipple said it best.... there is no magic to the recipe for making more power. What it comes down to... the bravery of the tuner as well as their experience with the platform and knowing how much abuse it can take before you excessively harm the internal components and result in failure.

I can see by the torque curve that these guys, like mpt, are pushing the envelope. Many tuners will start to richen the A/F and retard timing and lower boost as the RPMs top 4500 and so it limits that peak horsepower number. Short of a side by side drag race or on a timed strip... you probably won’t notice, but what you do get is an extra safety factor and flexibility if you want to tow, etc.

Just as important... the transmission tune and throttle sensitivity. These items make or break a tune and really amplify the performance power increase you are feeling.

Whoever buys this one please
Post a review. I’m excited to hear.

Forgiven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guy, I think it’s also important to note that Many of us live in Ca. And need a tune that will be close to what MPT is. I personally think MPT is great but I don’t want to go through the hassle of using an out of state address and risk Mike finding out that I live in Ca only to stop giving me updates.

Regarding Gearhead’s Dyno, their numbers that they posted on their graph were “heat soaked” as well. Im not saying that they make as much power as MPT, but in my opinion Gearheads curve and numbers are the closest to MPT.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I think it is important to remember...as a whole...

Fuel air spark boost... that’s the general parameters to adjust for making more torque.
Horsepower is calculated from the measured torque on the dyno.

Whipple said it best.... there is no magic to the recipe for making more power. What it comes down to... the bravery of the tuner as well as their experience with the platform and knowing how much abuse it can take before you excessively harm the internal components and result in failure.

I can see by the torque curve that these guys, like mpt, are pushing the envelope. Many tuners will start to richen the A/F and retard timing and lower boost as the RPMs top 4500 and so it limits that peak horsepower number. Short of a side by side drag race or on a timed strip... you probably won’t notice, but what you do get is an extra safety factor and flexibility if you want to tow, etc.

Just as important... the transmission tune and throttle sensitivity. These items make or break a tune and really amplify the performance power increase you are feeling.

Whoever buys this one please
Post a review. I’m excited to hear.

it appears they use nguage.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. I wouldn’t want to hassle either.

But here is the bottom line.... LIVERNOIS, MPT, Whipple... these guys...: the power differences are not going to make or break the experience. They are all a very big gain over stock. Like I said... you’re only going to know on a timed strip or a drag race.

But... the transmission and throttle adjustments are mission critical to getting the power to the ground.

Guy, I think it’s also important to note that Many of us live in Ca. And need a tune that will be close to what MPT is. I personally think MPT is great but I don’t want to go through the hassle of using an out of state address and risk Mike finding out that I live in Ca only to stop giving me updates.

Regarding Gearhead’s Dyno, their numbers that they posted on their graph were “heat soaked” as well. Im not saying that they make as much power as MPT, but in my opinion Gearheads curve and numbers are the closest to MPT.

OP
OP
B

Bevan11

Reaction score
Spark plugs

Those of you that have tuned are y'all using differently gapped spark plugs from what stock is?