Full Race CAI Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the Full Race CAI a few weeks ago. Install is pretty simple. It's a plug and play system. You can do it all with a flathead screwdriver and a T25 torx drive. The torx drive is used to remove two small bolts on the top of the intake box cover. The cover then hinges open for easy access to the filters. The Full Race upper intake box connects to the factory lower box using the factory clips. You can disconnect the clips and access the filters from the bottom if you don't have the T25 torx.

Full Race's site has install instructions, but they are for an older Ecoboost. It's a an easy install though.

https://www.full-race.com/store/ecoboost/2017-f-150-and-raptor-ecoboost-dual-3-cold-air-intake/

I like this system because it separates the intake into two different 3" tubes. One intake for each turbo, instead of combining them like the factory intake. The filters are K&N filters.

I can hear more of a turbo sound. I personally don't really much care about that. Plus my exhaust sound is much louder.

Overall I'm happy with the setup.

IMG_4692.jpg

IMG_4693.jpg

IMG_4694.jpg

IMG_4695.jpg

OP
OP
K

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Has the butt dyno given you any impressions about performance or induction noise?

The noise is definitely there. I removed the turbo noise reducers and that increased the sound.

I wasn't able to tell a difference because I added exhaust, dowpipes, and a tune the same time. All the mods plus the tune made a massive difference in power and shifting though.

Wizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What exhaust did you do and is it louder as ***** with all that you did?

OP
OP
K

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What exhaust did you do and is it louder as ***** with all that you did?

I also have the Full Race IC relocate kit coming tomorrow. Won't be installed for a few days though.

Yeah its super loud. I was just out testing the sound using Baja mode and the wife heard my truck a mile away.

I have the Stainless Works catted downpipes and catback exhaust. It's loud. I've had a previous TBI and ongoing tinnitus so my head is sensitive to loud noises. So I used exhaust wrap and wrapped the entire exhaust from the end of the downpipes back minus the muffler. It made a huge difference in sound. It insulates the exhaust. Zero drone and all the sound comes out the tail pipes now. I live in AZ so I don't worry about corrosion. I may use some silicone sealant in the future. I'm interested to see how the wrap holds up off road.

It's loud, sounds way better than before and makes good butt dyno power so I'm happy.

OP
OP
K

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The K&N filters - are they the type that must be oiled?

Honestly don't know. Didn't see anything on the box about oiling them or them being pre-oiled. Is there a way to check to see if they need it regularly?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Honestly don't know. Didn't see anything on the box about oiling them or them being pre-oiled. Is there a way to check to see if they need it regularly?

Better read the instructions!

The reason I asked is that oiled air filters have the reputation of gunking up air sensors. I've had the experience myself on a naturally aspirated vehicle. I would think that the tendency to foul air sensors would he heightened on turbocharged vehicles. It also strikes me as a possibility that oil from the filter might be bad for the turbos, too.

Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware. You need to understand both the advantages and disadvantages of what you've purchased. There are always both. And do not trust the manufacturer. Crest tells you that you'll have bright white teeth, Gold Bond tells you that you'll have perfectly smooth skin, Ford has a better idea, the Army will make you all that you can be, etc., etc. It's all marketing hype. To evaluate any product you absolutely must go to independent sources.

Last edited: