FTL ECOBOOST F150 vs ECOBOOST raptor drag race

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Micha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what you are saying is that the Raptor HO 3.5 Ecoboost has less power than a ‘pedestrian’ 3.5 Ecoboost?

If dyno'd on the same dyno and same day then yes(on a dyno readout), because of much higher drivetrain loss. Close to 40 lbs extra per corner of tire/wheel weight.

My truck physically flows more air than my tuners truck, same mods. Same fueling. He has a 2017 FX4 with the 3.5 and 10 speed.

CSJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think what you’re seeing is a combination of things.

1) the Raptors delivered to dealers do not have 450 crank hp or anywhere close to it.
2) the magazine / press pool trucks had closer to the 450 crank hp number
3) the Rap is bigger, heavier and has essentially the same power train.

I have great respect for your knowledge of how to moderate, even wanted you to become an admin for this forum. But unless you provide proof for point 1) and point 2) , those are basically conjecture based on what other companies do.

What is closer to why the Raptor was slower is because of its heavier frame and beadlock wheels. Possibly because they BOTH were not running on 93 premium.

Last edited:

Matt6951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you go out and drag race your 6000 lb truck? If not, what benefit does "faster than a V8" get you? If so, how often do you get to actually enjoy beating V8 Raptors in drag races?

That "glorious V8 sound" is there to enjoy 100% of the time, everyday, all day, all night. Every startup, every stoplight, every tunnel. It's such a sweet sounding song- and it's one that Jennay can never sing.

^ this guy knows what his own **** tastes like, fa show

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I have great respect for your knowledge of how to moderate, even wanted you to become an admin for this forum. But unless you provide proof for point 1) and point 2) , those are basically conjecture based on what other companies do.

What is closer to why the Raptor was slower is because of its heavier frame and beadlock wheels. Possibly because they BOTH were not running on 93 premium.

I think I see the torches outside my window already ;-)

To be fair, I did say both “I think” and “IMO” so you so have a point and I acknowledge it. I do know we’re sporting more weight altogether and more weight at each wheel, but we’re also supposed to be up... what? 75 hp? and we have steeper gears. And yes, these are fleet trucks FLT were testing so it is possible they had different fuel, but I think that’s unlikely.

I’ll bet the regular F150 stops better too.

Still happy with my 2017 Raptor purchase.

A lot of people spend too much time wrapped up in dyno numbers and a specific acceleration time. This is like chasing muzzle velocity from your reloads. Sometimes you just have to accept a lower velocity load has better accuracy in the rifle you’re shooting, period. Push past peak accuracy to get that last few fps and sometimes your grouping goes to $hit.

So what if there’s another vehicle out there capable of more acceleration? who didn’t know that with the purchase of a 5700 pound truck? I’ll bet the SHO Taurus is faster too. But, as I taunted my BMW driving neighbor as we took a nearby speed bump at 45mph - “let’s see your ultimate driving machine do that”.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most of these guys would be super pissed the second a built ranger or taco ate them alive in the desert. Suspension > all.

Yup. Half power Tacos with gobs of suspension can easily destroy a stock Raptor in high speed offroad. Cant go fast when you gotta slow down for everything.

Ill say it all the time.... Ive never been offroad with my truck so far and said "I wish I had more power" but instead every single time I say "I wish I had more suspension."

Suspension > Power

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dyno graphs that we do have show a lot of variability. You wonder if some trucks are better specimens than others.

You also have to wonder if the H.O. Version of the 3.5 is mostly smoke and mirrors and just a hotter tuned version of the regular ecoboost. Yes I’m aware of some minor hardware changes... but is it really the hardware or the tune?

I think I see the torches outside my window already ;-)

To be fair, I did say both “I think” and “IMO” so you so have a point and I acknowledge it. I do know we’re sporting more weight altogether and more weight at each wheel, but we’re also supposed to be up... what? 75 hp? and we have steeper gears. And yes, these are fleet trucks FLT were testing so it is possible they had different fuel, but I think that’s unlikely.

I’ll bet the regular F150 stops better too.

Still happy with my 2017 Raptor purchase.

A lot of people spend too much time wrapped up in dyno numbers and a specific acceleration time. This is like chasing muzzle velocity from your reloads. Sometimes you just have to accept a lower velocity load has better accuracy in the rifle you’re shooting, period. Push past peak accuracy to get that last few fps and sometimes your grouping goes to $hit.

So what if there’s another vehicle out there capable of more acceleration? who didn’t know that with the purchase of a 5700 pound truck? I’ll bet the SHO Taurus is faster too. But, as I taunted my BMW driving neighbor as we took a nearby speed bump at 45mph - “let’s see your ultimate driving machine do that”.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^ this guy knows what his own **** tastes like, fa show

I ain't that flexible! Given how salty you and Smurfy McSmurface are about my post, I think we all know who's had a **** in their mouth. I know for sure Jennay got a **** in the mouth from some guy named Larry It.

Jennay ain't the fastest F150 and you guys don't like it- I totally understand why you are salty about it all. If you can just get over the fact that racing pickup trucks is totally ******* gay, then you won't be so teary eyed about it.

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

@EricM whined:

You are a common denominator in every thread in any Gen 2 sub forum that turns into a pissing match shit show. The “much negativity” to which you refer often comes from you, or a single handful of other “users” here.

What exactly is your need to crap on discussions here and deliberately try to turn them into a flamefest?

Jesus, talk about whining. What are you, the ******* FRF policeman? If someone's head isn't deep up Jennay's ass, you got a problem with them. Pretty sure YOU are a common denominator in "pissing match" threads. I've stayed out of plenty of them that you were a part of. Glass houses and all.

I didn't crap on anything here. The original post said "Thoughts?". My thoughts after watching that were they both sound like ass. I posted my thoughts and Jennay's fans immediately jumped on the "but it's faster" bandwagon, which devolved everything into the shitfest that is this thread.

BTW, it was the 99 Cobras that were down on power. The only Cobras sold in 2000 were Cobra R's and some sold in Australia. If you are going to be a know it all, please, know it all.

Mcnawsty

Banned
Reaction score
From this, I gather people are happy with a slower truck. If that’s the case, why are the gen 2 people so against good ole’ reliable 6.2?

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They conspicuously failed to mention what mode the Raptor was in for this test. If it were in normal mode, I don't think anyone here should be surprised by the results, if you've driven a G2 Raptor. Normal mode tries its hardest to get to 10th gear period.

Let's see them slide it into sport mode and then let's see the results.

This. These guys "tested" the Raptor previously, and kept getting 6.3-6.8sec 0-60 times, about 1 whole second above what magazine/other testers got. They never mentioned what mode they used or tired, but, given the results, I assumed they were running it in the normal mode. Pretty weak effort on their part, IMO.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There could be hp/tq variation but I'd lean more towards weight, increased drivetrain loss and rotational mass being the culprit.

Back when the ecoboost dropped in 2011, those guys were insufferable with their youtube vids of fx2s beating Raptors at a stoplight to stoplight run.

I pulled up the BLBB and showed them that the fx2/fx4 was 800-1100lbs lighter, not to mention the other things mentioned above. I was an idiot, stuck on old tech, etc...

There are 5.0s running around 550hp na on pump gas so we could EASILY have had an all aluminum 5.4 or 5.7 liter DOHC engine that met or beat current numbers. We could have had an all aluminum 6.2 with the R/XT heads/cam package (with the right pistons) and had 550/500.

In any case, it doesn't matter past chest thumping. I'm already spinning my tires in the dirt, spinning them with 30 extra hp looks good on paper but it doesn't translate to much wrt to off road performance. Everyone wants more power but at the Raptor events I've been to, the 5.4 guys were smiling just as big as everyone else.