FTL ECOBOOST F150 vs ECOBOOST raptor drag race

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you go out and drag race your 6000 lb truck? If not, what benefit does "faster than a V8" get you? If so, how often do you get to actually enjoy beating V8 Raptors in drag races?

That "glorious V8 sound" is there to enjoy 100% of the time, everyday, all day, all night. Every startup, every stoplight, every tunnel. It's such a sweet sounding song- and it's one that Jennay can never sing.

Do you go out and jump your Raptor daily? If not, what does a Raptor get you over a Honda Ridgeline?

As I have said again and again (and again, and again, and again...) on this site, I enjoy the sound of a V8 as much as anyone, and perhaps more than most. However, I enjoy going fast when standing on the go pedal more than I enjoy sounding fast when I rev my truck in the tunnel outside the Molly Hatchet concert. Maybe it's just me.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you go out and jump your Raptor daily? If not, what does a Raptor get you over a Honda Ridgeline?

So, you are asking what benefit you get with a body on frame, solid axle truck equipped with a 2 spped transfer case and tons of suspension travel, compared to a unibody Honda with AWD and a IRS? You don't see any other possible benefit of the Ford over the Honda other than "you can jump it"?

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, you are asking what benefit you get with a body on frame, solid axle truck equipped with a 2 spped transfer case and tons of suspension travel, compared to a unibody Honda with AWD and a IRS? You don't see any other possible benefit of the Ford over the Honda other than "you can jump it"?

I was just trying to draw a similar example to the one that you drew.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I get your point about going fast. We all like it. I have a car with about 600 HP for that very reason. If I could magically add 100 HP to my Raptor without costing me a dime- of course I would. Who wouldn't?

If I had to choose though, I would never trade the additional acceleration between a Gen 1 and Gen 2 for the V6 sound. The difference in wide open throttle acceleration is just not that important to me in a pickup truck. I would have to choose the better exhaust note that exists 100% of the time over better acceleration that is used maybe 0.0001% of the time. If I could have both, sure- gimme gimme.

If Ford had put a bit of effort into getting more power from the 6.2L, and then stuck it in a truck that is a few hundred pounds lighter with a transmission that gives more mechanical advantage, we all could have had a Gen 2 raptor that was faster and still sounds great. That's why there's much negatively towards the V6. There's really no good reason for it other than Ford's strange obsession with downsizing and turbocharging engines.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s called the future baby.

In 20 years you’ll unplug your raptor in the morning and buzz off into the woods.

Don’t worry.... the environuts will eventually outlaw all the petrol based vehicles and you won’t have s choice.

Sucks doesn’t it?

I get your point about going fast. We all like it. I have a car with about 600 HP for that very reason. If I could magically add 100 HP to my Raptor without costing me a dime- of course I would. Who wouldn't?

If I had to choose though, I would never trade the additional acceleration between a Gen 1 and Gen 2 for the V6 sound. The difference in wide open throttle acceleration is just not that important to me in a pickup truck. I would have to choose the better exhaust note that exists 100% of the time over better acceleration that is used maybe 0.0001% of the time. If I could have both, sure- gimme gimme.

If Ford had put a bit of effort into getting more power from the 6.2L, and then stuck it in a truck that is a few hundred pounds lighter with a transmission that gives more mechanical advantage, we all could have had a Gen 2 raptor that was faster and still sounds great. That's why there's much negatively towards the V6. There's really no good reason for it other than Ford's strange obsession with downsizing and turbocharging engines.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They conspicuously failed to mention what mode the Raptor was in for this test. If it were in normal mode, I don't think anyone here should be surprised by the results, if you've driven a G2 Raptor. Normal mode tries its hardest to get to 10th gear period.

Let's see them slide it into sport mode and then let's see the results.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I think what you’re seeing is a combination of things.

1) the Raptors delivered to dealers do not have 450 crank hp or anywhere close to it.
2) the magazine / press pool trucks had closer to the 450 crank hp number
3) the Rap is bigger, heavier and has essentially the same power train.

The pedestrian F150 doesn’t have to do as much work and is able to do the same work more quickly.

Before any of my tribe try and excommunicate me, gaming hp numbers happens all the time, particularly with performance vehicles. Ford has a history of this - think ’00 SVT Mustangs, that gave up something like 20 hp to the previous model until Ford corrected the intake.

Motorcycle manufacturers do this routinely. Look at the dyno numbers quoted for any 1000cc or greater engine sport bike. Procure one for yourself and strap it to the dyno. Let us know how it turns out for you. My bet is you’ll get about 10% less than quoted, but it used to be far worse. No matter how generous the rwhp to crank hp calculation is, you’re not getting what’s being advertised most of the time.

Yes, a few will land good examples, but most of us are going to end up with the run of the mill, assembly line models that make a few less hp.

Ducati still gets away with press pool bikes that use their race ecu and exhaust - check the magazines for pictures.

Car makers do it too, GM and if I remember correctly Pontiac was sued by a an owner, I believe was a trans am because he could not come anywhere close to the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times and his dyno showed he was making significantly less power than advertised. GM countered with abuse, but the owner won.

I’m sure the Rap makes good power, probably a little more than the previous model, but the numbers really don’t add up IMO if you think about it. The Gen 2 is some 5-700 pounds lighter than a G1, has a much better transmission, same gears and it is quicker to 60 but is it really 40 hp and 500 pounds less faster in the 1/4 mile? what’s the trap speed comparison?

@EricM whined:
They both sound like ass.

Do you go out and drag race your 6000 lb truck? If not, what benefit does "faster than a V8" get you? If so, how often do you get to actually enjoy beating V8 Raptors in drag races?

That "glorious V8 sound" is there to enjoy 100% of the time, everyday, all day, all night. Every startup, every stoplight, every tunnel. It's such a sweet sounding song- and it's one that Jennay can never sing.

You are a common denominator in every thread in any Gen 2 sub forum that turns into a pissing match shit show. The “much negativity” to which you refer often comes from you, or a single handful of other “users” here.

What exactly is your need to crap on discussions here and deliberately try to turn them into a flamefest?

You can bitch all you want but the v8 is gone. You hung your hopes on the sasquatch77 troll account having actual intel that a v8 was coming back and now, what, you’re taking it out on every other FRF reader?

You know what I’ve never read on FRF, any other off road enthusiast or even car forum? I’m glad you asked. I never heard this:

“Damn, I wish my truck was about a second slower to 60 because I don’t need all this power off road”. Maybe that has something to do with why Ford “did it”.

Mcnawsty

Banned
Reaction score
So what you are saying is that the Raptor HO 3.5 Ecoboost has less power than a ‘pedestrian’ 3.5 Ecoboost?