Fixes For Two Nagging Issues (Gas Pedal and Hesitation)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixes For Two Nagging Issues (Gas Pedal Vibration and Hesitation)

I love my 2017 Raptor, but I had two ongoing issues that drove me nuts for quite some time.

1) The first problem which I have had resolved for numerous months was a frequent and very annoying gas pedal vibration. I read numerous posts and tried at least ten different remedies, but none of them worked until a Ford technician finally helped me lock in on the cause. All said and done, I was having issues with something the technician referred to as "harmonic vibration" coming from the exhaust. He said that since we have a true dual exhaust, you get pulsing that goes down each pipe which can play off each other and create certain tones that can cause vibrations. He tried to tighten things up and do a few other tweaks to resolve the problem, but told me that if those changes did not work, I would unfortunately have to replace the exhaust system with something different. Without getting into everything that I tried (it is a lengthy list), the fix ended up being replacing the stock resonator with an X-pipe. I am not sure what this does to performance in comparison to the resonator, but it allows the dual exhaust to balance out and eliminate the harmonic frequency issue. I chose to go with Corsa's X-pipe and muffler (Corsa Xtreme system) which is pretty loud, but according to Corsa, if you just use the X-pipe with the stock muffler, it should have the same effect and only be slightly louder than stock.

2) From very early in my truck ownership, I noticed what felt like a lot of hesitation when accelerating. I mostly noticed it in 9th and 10th gears on the highway, but it could also be felt intermittently pretty much in all gears. The dealership acknowledged the issue and had my truck for several weeks trying to figure out what was going on, but gave up on the issue when they received a brand new Raptor that did the exact same thing, so they chalked it up as something that was apparently normal for a Raptor. For kicks, I replaced the plugs this weekend with NGK Iridium LTR6IX-11/6509 gapped at .30 and the problem is resolved. I saw on another thread that Ford has changed the plugs that they recommend, so maybe there is a reason for the switch. If your truck occasionally feels like it is missing, I would strongly recommend swapping out the plugs and seeing if that helps. I can't even begin to tell you how much better my truck is now running. I think I might have fixed my final grumbling and can finally relax!!!!

Last edited:

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
From very early in my truck ownership, I noticed what felt like a lot of hesitation when accelerating. I mostly noticed it in 9th and 10th gears on the highway, but it could also be felt intermittently pretty much in all gears. The dealership acknowledged the issue and had my truck for several weeks trying to figure out what was going on, but gave up on the issue when they received a brand new Raptor that did the exact same thing, so they chalked it up as something that was apparently normal for a Raptor. For kicks, I replaced the plugs this weekend with NGK Iridium LTR6IX-11/6509 gapped at .30 and the problem is resolved. I saw on another thread that Ford has changed the plugs that they recommend, so maybe there is a reason for the switch. If your truck occasionally feels like it is missing, I would strongly recommend swapping out the plugs and seeing if that helps. I can't even begin to tell you how much better my truck is now running. I think I might have fixed my final grumbling and can finally relax!!!!

You will want to keep a second set of these plugs on hand as the ecoboost tends to chew through spark plugs quicker than other engines.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my 2017 Raptor, but I had two ongoing issues that drove me nuts for quite some time.

2) From very early in my truck ownership, I noticed what felt like a lot of hesitation when accelerating. I mostly noticed it in 9th and 10th gears on the highway, but it could also be felt intermittently pretty much in all gears. The dealership acknowledged the issue and had my truck for several weeks trying to figure out what was going on, but gave up on the issue when they received a brand new Raptor that did the exact same thing, so they chalked it up as something that was apparently normal for a Raptor. For kicks, I replaced the plugs this weekend with NGK Iridium LTR6IX-11/6509 gapped at .30 and the problem is resolved. I saw on another thread that Ford has changed the plugs that they recommend, so maybe there is a reason for the switch. If your truck occasionally feels like it is missing, I would strongly recommend swapping out the plugs and seeing if that helps. I can't even begin to tell you how much better my truck is now running. I think I might have fixed my final grumbling and can finally relax!!!!

Stock plugs, .025" gap and Whipple's Stage 1 latest tune. Drives like a big block, no more flooring it to pass and nothing happens for 2.5 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
The recommended interval to maintain reliability is no more than 30k miles.