First weird issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CWBROWN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today I was driving from Vail back to Denver. I had the truck in sport mode and I was using the paddle shifters coming over the Mountian passes. The truck was in regular drive mode and was not in manual mode. I was about 3/4's of the way home when the truck got stuck in 7th gear. It wouldn't shift at all. I tried switching back to normal mode out of sport...still wouldn't shift. Went to manual...wouldn't shift. Ended up pulling off freeway and turning off the truck. I also opened the door to reset it. Once I fired it back up everything was fine and back to normal. I went back to playing in Sport mode to see if I could replicate the issue but had no luck. Has anyone had this issue? I have about 10K on the truck and have no issues to date. No sure it's worth getting looked at yet unless it happens again.

I have no engine mods or tunes (yet). I also don't have a pedal commander or anything like that. I only a cat back exhaust.

Jiman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had something similar happen but switching to "M" and using the +/- button on the shifter (Not paddles) has always corrected it.

Two things I've found from my experience (YMMV):

1 - Using the paddles or buttons on the shifter while not in manual locks out gears, so if at some point you let the truck do the shifting, you many have inadvertently locked out higher gears. For example if you were in 10th and manually downshifted to 7th to slow yourself going down one of those massive Rt70 descents, then gassed it again to pass someone, and this time let the truck do the shifting, it may not upshift because 8th, 9th, 10th got locked out when you used the paddles when not in M.

2 - If the speed/gearing is really off (Extreme example: You're going 35mph and want to manually shift to 10th), I've found the truck won't let me do that.

For whatever reason, sometimes the truck wants to do what it wants to do, because the quirks aren't always reproducible on command, but does happen from time to time.

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, its also first year of the 10 speed so there may be a few bugs to be worked out. Maybe dealer can check if you have the latest software? What is the build date if your truck? Was it one of the early ones?

gryGhst17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Jiman. Using paddles in auto mode locks out upper gears, but up shifting should put the gears back into play....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RatorGuy481

Reaction score
I have had the same thing happen to me TWICE now in three weeks and I have 19K Miles. Have you taken yours to the dealer? I took mine after first incident and the could find nothing wrong (i.e., no trouble codes reported).