First Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AGBoston

Reaction score
I saw a thread on here about 1st oil change. Then read a long debate on type of oil to use 1st oil swap. I plan on flushing out the OEM oil at about 800 miles. Am I switching to synthetic at that point or do I replace with OEM again for the "seating" process? I plan on hammering this truck after 1k miles.

If this is a painstakingly novice question I apologize. Coming from the 6.7 side. I haven't had a gasser that i care about in a long time.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
I saw a thread on here about 1st oil change. Then read a long debate on type of oil to use 1st oil swap. I plan on flushing out the OEM oil at about 800 miles. Am I switching to synthetic at that point or do I replace with OEM again for the "seating" process? I plan on hammering this truck after 1k miles.

If this is a painstakingly novice question I apologize. Coming from the 6.7 side. I haven't had a gasser that i care about in a long time.

Why are you changing your oil at 800 miles? Truck barely has dust on it by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
1st swap should be on the early side no? 800-1500 mile.

I think 800 is a little excessive. I'd do one in the lines of 3-5k. When I called a ford tech they said 5k. I believe the manual says 5k too I'll have to check later. I'm at 4200 oil still looks good and levels are good. A lot of people will have opinions on this though so just do what you think. I can assure you I don't drive my truck lightly lol.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Full synthetic is good from day 1. I am with you on the first change being early. I do all my new vehicles at 500 miles and then at 3000 miles going forward. Excessive, sure. Piece of mind for me.

gryGhst17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll get a different answer from almost everyone. I've always done 3k on a new or rebuild.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Thought being the motor needs the material in the oil to complete the break in

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol i intend to treat this truck just like my last new truck. a 14 eb lariat hd. i changed the oil around 1500 miles to get full synthetic in it. then every 5k-10k depending on when the change oil notice came on. when i quit driving as much i changed it once a year regardless of the 2-5k miles i put on it. also only ran 91 oct. i had no issues or any intention of getting this random upgrade to a raptor.