Expected Gas Mileage for 2017 Raptor? (10-Speed Transmission)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6isntenough

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends on how you drive it, if and IF you can stay out of the boost you should be able to get 18-20 mpg easy on a trip, maybe more, but it is hard to stay out of the boost, it is addicting to hear it spool up, and a tuner makes a world of difference in an ecoboost 3.5

sublime1996525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really don't see the mpg's being much better. Like others have mentioned, those with the EB now that are modded aren't getting very good gas mileage and even those that were stock aren't getting what is advertised it seems. Either way I'm getting 13-14 mpg and if the new ones can improve on that, great!

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say the hp and 10spd cancel each other out, same with the 35's and gears.

I'd place it with the 3.5. 4 extra gears is huge. Maybe a touch better.

22F150-image2-articleLarge.png

Aggiestro

Reaction score
I agree with this. 10 speed tranny may make a small difference but I would not expect much. Everyone I know that has an Eco Boost has been disappointed with MPGs. Anyone that has modded one with larger tires is getting worse MPGs than a Raptor.

THIS!! I drove a new King Ranch Screw EB for 6 months before I traded it in for my Raptor. The EB will only get close to Advertised numbers at 50mph. Once you go over 55, kiss that goodbye. At 70 mph my Raptor gets the same mpg as my stock EB did. After 6 months my avg mpg on the EB was 13.9 which is about the same as my 2 year avg on the Raptor. (I drive lots of .hwy) Just imagine if I had 35's and a lift on the EB. The EB on the 2017 is a joke IMO and only for meeting EPA and marketing numbers which reflect speeds nobody actually drives. I also couldn't stand the turbo delay, I need that instant response from a stop. I'll never sell my 6.2!!

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
THIS!! I drove a new King Ranch Screw EB for 6 months before I traded it in for my Raptor. The EB will only get close to Advertised numbers at 50mph. Once you go over 55, kiss that goodbye. At 70 mph my Raptor gets the same mpg as my stock EB did. After 6 months my avg mpg on the EB was 13.9 which is about the same as my 2 year avg on the Raptor. (I drive lots of .hwy) Just imagine if I had 35's and a lift on the EB. The EB on the 2017 is a joke IMO and only for meeting EPA and marketing numbers which reflect speeds nobody actually drives. I also couldn't stand the turbo delay, I need that instant response from a stop. I'll never sell my 6.2!!

The NEW 3.5L EB going into the Raptor wont have a delay in power. The new 3.5L has more torque that comes on sooner than the current 6.2L in the Raptor. Ford designed this motor so that there isnt much turbo lag (if any) so youll have all that sweet torque down low that hits sooner than what the current Raptor has.

georgesr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
original 3.5 ecoboost owner

I came from a 2012 3.5 ecoboost FX4, the only time I go 20+ MPG was on long trips, most of the time I would get 15MPG commuting to and from work. For me that is 22 miles most of it freeway, if you can stay out of the throttle you can get the 20+ MPG, and if you are towing you drop to way down to 10mpg or less.

in the Raptor I get 13.8 MPG on the commute and 11 to 12 MPG when I tow my trailer. I have the 6.2L, the only thing I am worried about with the 10 speed transmission is it searching for gears, for is not known for fast shifting in their transmissions.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe that Ford's prime reason for going to turbocharged V6 power in the F150 is the EPA fleet fuel economy requirement. Given that, I think that the likely reason for putting the EB engine in the Raptor is that if they didn't, it would call into question the whole EB campaign - which would be bad PR and bad marketing.

If I'm right, then sound automotive engineering is a secondary or tertiary consideration in the overall concept of the 2017 Raptor engine. One might expect, therefore, very modest fuel economy improvement or perhaps even none at all.

I also note that while Ford is currently claiming that the 2017 Raptor's EB engine will produce more power and torque than the 6.2L V8, that's all they're saying. They are NOT saying how much power and torque the new engine will produce. I think that they're still working on it, that they don't know exactly how much power and torque the new engine will produce, and that exceeding the output of the 6.2L V8 is merely a design goal.

We'll see.

Last edited:

Aggiestro

Reaction score
The NEW 3.5L EB going into the Raptor wont have a delay in power. The new 3.5L has more torque that comes on sooner than the current 6.2L in the Raptor. Ford designed this motor so that there isnt much turbo lag (if any) so youll have all that sweet torque down low that hits sooner than what the current Raptor has.

Sounds like a Marketing manager quote :). I hope it does and I hope the new design doesn't have intercooler condensation problems like the initial release. Still keeping my 6.2 for the sound alone

Supercup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Raptor 6.2 L - My brother has platnium with 3.5 - I drove his for a few weeks on my commute of 130 miles a day before I bought the Raptor - I got 13-14 MPG - in the raptor I get 12 - 13 (I drive fast). Towing my boat (7,000 lbs) the Raptor gets 9.5 to 10.5. With the EB we get 9 - 10.

So if you drive fast or tow - there is limited fuel mileage advantage. If you drive the EPA look there is an advantage - but that is not how I drive or use my truck.

Either way the mileage is pretty bad if you drive 30k miles + per year like I do. But I like the truck and enjoy the sound and the fun I can have with it.

For the next EB 10 speed Raptor I would expect a pick up of a mpg or two over current in similar driving conditions. EPA look numbers will be great, but they don't apply to the real world.

I will give my son current Raptor and get the new one for me, with the agreement that if I want we trade back!

I don't think the next truck will be a step back, but it will lose some of its appeal - just can't beat a good old American V8 for sound and reliability!