Exhaust/Skid plate clearance issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mahoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I just picked my truck up with 10 miles on the clock. About half way home I would hear this metallic buzz/rattle multiple times and at idle. Any one have/had any clearance issues when the metals got hot? I'm thinking this is what is it, drive fine, no warning lights. I got under it (of course everything was blazing hot) and to me it sounds like a metallic clearance issue that came up one everything heated up.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I just picked my truck up with 10 miles on the clock. About half way home I would hear this metallic buzz/rattle multiple times and at idle. Any one have/had any clearance issues when the metals got hot? I'm thinking this is what is it, drive fine, no warning lights. I got under it (of course everything was blazing hot) and to me it sounds like a metallic clearance issue that came up one everything heated up.

Sounds like you have a waste gate rattle.

I'm not sure it's harmful.

OP
OP
M

Mahoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like it's mainly on the drivers side, the videos I've watched seem like it's more or a metallic ting-ing sound. This is a metallic vibration/rub sound that I can feel in the floor and it's loud inside the cabin. I couldn't imagine this being normal for the price of the vehicle. It's kind of embarrassing frankly. I'll hopefully have someone take a look at it tomorrow at work.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck! I hope you did a thorough test drive, but it sounds like you may not have. Unfortunately, there are some things that Ford will be a bit hard nosed on after you take delivery. From what you’re describing it sounds a little more severe than waste gate rattle. it’s definitely worth a dealer visit from what you describe.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like it's mainly on the drivers side, the videos I've watched seem like it's more or a metallic ting-ing sound. This is a metallic vibration/rub sound that I can feel in the floor and it's loud inside the cabin. I couldn't imagine this being normal for the price of the vehicle. It's kind of embarrassing frankly. I'll hopefully have someone take a look at it tomorrow at work.

If its at idle, too, seems different than my issue but just in case

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f260/raptor-rattling-riddle-experts-wanted-54408/

OP
OP
M

Mahoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turned out to be the drivers side cat making contact with the heat shield at times. Bent the shield and drove home today, I believe we're fixed!