Engine Whine, is it normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

signalbobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update/Fix:

Transmission Pump gears were changed and the noise has been reduced by I’d say 85-90% I really have to try and hear it with my head under the truck and even still it’s hard to hear.

Per the Ford 10r80 transmission engineering the pump gears will have a slight but unnoticeable whine due to the gear size.

Supposed to go in and talk to a rep about a extended warranty hopefully at a discount or something.

Truck is much quieter and shifts great for now.

Was this resolved or are you still having issues?

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When driving at low speeds, small throttle inputs, I noticed I get a whine noise, then there's a gear change, then it's quiet, repeat for the next gear. Mine isn't super loud; noticeable to someone on the outside, not noticeable inside with the windows up. With the windows down, I notice it if I pay attention for it. Truck drives fine, unsure if it's normal for this transmission.

First thing I thought is it sounds like a front pump. New truck, ~1k miles, babied for the first 1k miles.

Last edited:

Simplejack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so is some engine wine normal? mine does it on cold start but then dissipates after couple minutes. Figured it was pulley. 1500 miles on my 2018. I definitely dont have any knocking sound like the video on 1st page of this thread.

F150-Trucks

Reaction score
So is this a common thing for these transmissions? It seems popular but the outcomes aren't well documented.
Found this post by a few people:

SSM 47812 - 2017-2019 F-150, 2018-2019 Expedition/Navigator/Mustang, 2019 Ranger – 10R80 - Whine Noise

Some 2017-2019 F-150, 2018-2019 Expedition/Navigator/Mustang, 2019 Ranger vehicles equipped with a 10R80 transmission may exhibit a whine noise. This may occur at idle and while driving coming from the bell housing and front pan area of the transmission. The whine noise may become louder when at operating temperature and increases with higher engine RPM in the PARK position. A small amount of whine noise is considered to be characteristic of the 10R80 transmission due to the offset gear drivetrain in the front support and has no effect on durability
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2017-2019-f-150-10r80-whine-noise-ssm-47812-a-439810/#post6149037

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine's still doing it, up to 11k miles now. Hasn't changed in any way, transmission seems to be performing great.

I have a few friends with Gen2s, next time I'm around their trucks, I'll check if theirs sounds similar.

F150-Trucks

Reaction score
Mine's still doing it, up to 11k miles now. Hasn't changed in any way, transmission seems to be performing great.

I have a few friends with Gen2s, next time I'm around their trucks, I'll check if theirs sounds similar.
The OP said he never 100% solved it though. Sounds like they were just able to find a quieter pump for him.
Going 11k mikes, I would think a problem would be shown by now.
Wouldn't any issues be covered under their powertrain warranty anyways? Which is 5yr/60k.

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I expect it to be covered if it becomes a problem, and I'll be talking to the dealer if the noise gets louder. Mine might be on the louder side, it's not crazy loud, but it's noticeable when cruising in a parking garage with the windows down. But again, absolutely no change in the noise over the past 10k miles, so no dealer visit yet. Will report back whenever I listen to a couple other trucks, but could be a few weeks.

I kinda like the noise, sounds a like a mild version of a set of straight gears like the cam gears in my M.

I'll probably post up a vid of mine at some point as I haven't seen any vids capturing the correlation with commanded shifts, which I think is the smoking gun.

Edit 1: Drove one friend's truck, it's an order of magnitude quieter than mine. Will update as I drive other friends' trucks; I have 5 friends and acquaintances with gen 2 raps.
Edit 2: Went to the raptor assault. Heard the noise similar to mine on at least three of the trucks at the assault. Didn't hear it on a few others.

Last edited:

jkharvey

Reaction score
My 18 makes the same noise and has since new. It completely goes away when the A/C is turned off. I've been told its normal.