Engine Whine, is it normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies, I’ll be going to the dealer first thing Monday morning.

I left it with the dealer over night last time and they called the next day “thats normal just the alternator”, I looked him in the face and laughed asking him if he was joking. It’s really lazy of them, Monday’s gonna be a fun day when I get there.

Coming from nothing but Germans cars over the last 10 years, BMW and Mercedes treat customers and their property so much better than what I’ve experienced so far buying American. (Around my area anyway, I’ll try not to generalize).

Thanks

When I get mine back together ill do a video of start up and you can hear another to compare. I do know there are a crap load of things going on at cold startup so I expect mine to be as noisy as yours.

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies, I’ll be going to the dealer first thing Monday morning.

I left it with the dealer over night last time and they called the next day “thats normal just the alternator”, I looked him in the face and laughed asking him if he was joking. It’s really lazy of them, Monday’s gonna be a fun day when I get there.

Coming from nothing but Germans cars over the last 10 years, BMW and Mercedes treat customers and their property so much better than what I’ve experienced so far buying American. (Around my area anyway, I’ll try not to generalize).

Thanks

I know how you feel. Get used to terrible support at the dealer. Make sure you record your concerns and give a copy of the video to the service manager. From my experience you have to hold their feet to the fire on every point you raise.

Last week at the dealer while explaining the stupid noises my high dollar truck makes, and while providing video of all three, the SM and his Master tech looked at me like I was insane. Even though I can show evidence that the sounds are not common across the Gen2 Raptor. Nothing frustrates me more. Stick to your guns and make them find it. Or better yet, do what I try to do, find it yourself and shown them where its coming from.

Where are you located? If you are anywhere near Dallas I will help you find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MTheory

MTheory

Reaction score
I know how you feel. Get used to terrible support at the dealer. Make sure you record your concerns and give a copy of the video to the service manager. From my experience you have to hold their feet to the fire on every point you raise.

Last week at the dealer while explaining the stupid noises my high dollar truck makes, and while providing video of all three, the SM and his Master tech looked at me like I was insane. Even though I can show evidence that the sounds are not common across the Gen2 Raptor. Nothing frustrates me more. Stick to your guns and make them find it. Or better yet, do what I try to do, find it yourself and shown them where its coming from.

Where are you located? If you are anywhere near Dallas I will help you find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilmington NC is where I am, it’s hard to pin point the noise exactly, but me and my neighbor are gonna give it a try before I take it in.

Yea I’m honestly not looking forward to this if it becomes a big mess over them not wanting to even try and get rid of the sound. If that happens I’ll try another dealer in the region and if it continues I’d be inclined to sell it and go back to the Germans for my cars. (Not saying they don’t have problems also, just the customer service HERE is so much better than Ford so far).

OP
OP
MTheory

MTheory

Reaction score
Yeah I'd concur... mine don't sound like that..
Honestly sounds like possible transmission front pump. But hard to tell from my house

They confirmed just now that it was the transmission making the whine noise but don’t know exactly what it is as they’ve never seen/heard this before. They want to reach out to ford and reschedule another drop off date to dig into it further.

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They confirmed just now that it was the transmission making the whine noise but don’t know exactly what it is as they’ve never seen/heard this before. They want to reach out to ford and reschedule another drop off date to dig into it further.

Ahha... not much turning in there but the converter and the pump that could make that type of noise... Sounds typical of a pump tho.. thanks for the update

OP
OP
MTheory

MTheory

Reaction score
Update: (kinda), They finally schedule me to drop my truck off for actual diagnostic/repair after it being there 3 times for the noise this past Monday.

Ford calls me late afternoon to let me know they’ve never delt with this issue on their bran new 10 speed transmission and they have to reach out to the engineers of the tramission before they proceed further. The techs seems really intrigued to get to the bottom of the noise so that’s a good thing I guess.

Rant: The Ford Edge rental they gave me smells like ass and feels like it’s gonna disintegrate past 50mph. Gonna be a long wait.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That isn’t a whine. It’s a whirr.

I’m calling it a bearing somewhere.

QUOTE=MTheory;1225926]Update: (kinda), They finally schedule me to drop my truck off for actual diagnostic/repair after it being there 3 times for the noise this past Monday.

Ford calls me late afternoon to let me know they’ve never delt with this issue on their bran new 10 speed transmission and they have to reach out to the engineers of the tramission before they proceed further. The techs seems really intrigued to get to the bottom of the noise so that’s a good thing I guess.

Rant: The Ford Edge rental they gave me smells like ass and feels like it’s gonna disintegrate past 50mph. Gonna be a long wait.[/QUOTE]

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Or a clutch or a torque converter. It’s rotational and it’s a bad bearing bushing etc.

Just my ears guess

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

Ooh or maybe even a stripped gear.