Engine Whine, is it normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTheory

Reaction score
Transmission/Engine Whine, is it normal?

Ever since I bought my 2018 raptor it’s had a whine noise from the engine, never noticed much until the 5th person asked me if it was super charged. Took it in and the dealer said it’s normal it’s the alternator.

The whine doesn’t increase with engine speed it stays at that tone, it gets a little lower once warm but still you can hear it across the parking lot.

So I paid all this money for a truck that whines like this from a alternator constantly????

Please confirm if this is normal or not I’ll try to attach a video, doing this before I escalate it with the dealer.

https://youtu.be/0ZKP66LT0V8

Last edited:

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever since I bought my 2018 raptor it’s had a whine noise from the engine, never noticed much until the 5th person asked me if it was super charged. Took it in and the dealer said it’s normal it’s the alternator.

The whine doesn’t increase with engine speed it stays at that tone, it gets a little lower once warm but still you can hear it across the parking lot.

So I paid all this money for a truck that whines like this from a alternator constantly????

Please confirm if this is normal or not I’ll try to attach a video, doing this before I escalate it with the dealer.

Linky no worky

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Doesn't sound right to me. Even if they don't fix it you need to take it in to get it on record that you think there is a problem. I would take it in for sure.

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'd concur... mine don't sound like that..
Honestly sounds like possible transmission front pump. But hard to tell from my house

OP
OP
MTheory

MTheory

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies, I’ll be going to the dealer first thing Monday morning.

I left it with the dealer over night last time and they called the next day “thats normal just the alternator”, I looked him in the face and laughed asking him if he was joking. It’s really lazy of them, Monday’s gonna be a fun day when I get there.

Coming from nothing but Germans cars over the last 10 years, BMW and Mercedes treat customers and their property so much better than what I’ve experienced so far buying American. (Around my area anyway, I’ll try not to generalize).

Thanks