Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]

Engine Trouble - Cam Phaser Replacement

This is a discussion on Engine Trouble - Cam Phaser Replacement within the Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!
Originally Posted by Jimbo Not kidding... AND a bus! I want that bus.......

User Tag List

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 09:44 AM   #31 (permalink)

That Escalated Quickly...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Not kidding...

AND a bus!

I want that bus....
Jimbo likes this.

2017 Ruby Red SCREW 802A-Ordered 8/3, Built 10/14, Released from Factory 12/12, Accepted by Shipping Company 12/27, Delivered 1/19
crash457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:03 PM   #32 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Engine Trouble - Cam Phaser Replacement
Update - I spoke with the tech at the dealership. The past 5 days have been spent duplicating my noises and contacting Ford. No visual inspection of the engine has been done. The front cover hasn't been removed and Ford has no idea which of the internals might be damaged.
The theory from Ford is they VCT phasers are bad and causing major slack in the timing chain. The noise under throttle sure sounded like time chain slack so I agree. Ford has no idea if the noise with the top cover removed is also caused by the VCT phaser issue.

The plan - Cam phaser parts have been ordered and wont arrive until May 25th. On about May 23rd the dealership tech will start the tear down to have a look at the phasers, timing etc. At this point if no other damage is suspected Ford will replace the phasers and reassemble.

Seems to me like it would make more sense to first do the tear down and inspection before blindly ordering parts. This is very confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MJslasherADMIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:34 PM   #33 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

with it being brand new, i imagine they want to document it way more.

100k miles, 5 year old model. they have a book to look into and they can just read from when it was new, so now instead of spending wasted man hours on mechanically taking it apart and diagnosing. they are probably trying to gather as much factual info as possible before pulling your truck apart.
they have to write the troubleshooting and failure book on the new model, this will be added to it.
AndysLog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:25 PM   #34 (permalink)

Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 1087 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Also doesn't make sense to have a truck down on an empty rack until parts are almost in.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:49 PM   #35 (permalink)

If they wait till the 23rd to tear it down and need more/different parts then they will have
1. a down truck on a rack
2. a pissed off customer
3. more waste rental car money
4. more wasted time
Supertuner700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:29 PM   #36 (permalink)
Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by smurfslayer View Post
It’s important to not be “that guy” when dealing with the service dept. At some point in life, we all become “that guy” whether it’s for a brief period of time, or you’re prone to it. Being “that guy” will elongate your downtime and make everyone involved less happy, especially you. Don’t let your anger and frustration get the better of you.

The dealer is going above and beyond what’s required -by law-. The warranty (non ESP) does not guarantee you a ride, it merely promises you to repair vehicle defects.

I agree, it’s not like you bought an entry level Fiesta, the level of concern, care and attention for the customer should be a premium. Just keep in mind, when people want you to do stuff for them, they treat you kindly and respectfully.

Make the service department want to help you.

I have been super easy to deal with all the way on this. Im for sure not being that guy. But today being day 5 and me having no technical info of any kind at all was frustrating.

Also, keep in mind the dealership promised me something to drive, paid for by Ford if my truck was confirmed to have issues. This was on Monday morning. That was cool with me so I paid for the rental. Every day since Monday the dealer has called me and said "We are getting you out of that little shoebox car today" Come today that still hadnt happened. So I called and for the first time I asked for them to get on the ball.

Today was the first time someone besides the service adviser has talked to me. Every day I have called and asked for an update. Service Advisor would always say "I will ask the tech and get back to you", but that never happened. On Tuesday I was told parts were being ordered. That wasn't true. This morning I was told parts were ordered last night. So I asked "What parts", advisor had no idea. I had to put my foot down and let her know that I deserved to be told the exact specifics. I assumed my engine had been torn into and the tech had an idea of what was going on since parts have been ordered. Today I talked to the tech and finally got some info. Engine hasn't been opened.

Ordering specific parts for an engine, without confirming those are the bad parts on a new engine that has no history of these symptoms doesn't make sense to me. Why wait 5 days to order a couple of phasers, which will not arrive for 7 more calendar days (12 days after truck was dropped off before the parts you blindly ordered arrive) and you havent even looked at the engine yet is likely to just cause more downtime for the truck. Open it up and order what you need.

I hear you though, Im not tying to be the dick that we all know.

Last edited by MJslasherADMIN; 05-19-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #37 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Supertuner700 View Post
If they wait till the 23rd to tear it down and need more/different parts then they will have
1. a down truck on a rack
2. a pissed off customer
3. more waste rental car money
4. more wasted time
My thoughts exactly. A few of those issue can be visually seen upon inspection. This is kind of odd. I have only ever seen it the other way.
Jayrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:12 PM   #38 (permalink)
Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Off topic kind of, but while researching my engine noises I found this loose. It was bouncing around pretty bad. I snapped it in. You boys should check next time you are under the hood. Its near the air box. img_3347.jpg

Old 05-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #39 (permalink)

MJ sir, I commend you on your patience and technical expertise. Your story sounds familiar, as others have had Ford attempting to gain wisdom by their dealer evaluating problems with a transmission or engine. Ford sells a Performance Truck at a Premium Price and their dealer make Aggressive Profits on top of an already premium prices! And then their is the customer, getting excellent customer service, treatment and appreciation! NOT HARDLY!

Sounds like you may need a NEW ENGINE, but Ford will just take their time to explore the troubles with their new products!

Best of luck to you, and I hope in the end, you will be happy and satisfied!
AbitaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:54 PM   #40 (permalink)
Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by AbitaPro View Post
MJ sir, I commend you on your patience and technical expertise. Your story sounds familiar, as others have had Ford attempting to gain wisdom by their dealer evaluating problems with a transmission or engine. Ford sells a Performance Truck at a Premium Price and their dealer make Aggressive Profits on top of an already premium prices! And then their is the customer, getting excellent customer service, treatment and appreciation! NOT HARDLY!

Sounds like you may need a NEW ENGINE, but Ford will just take their time to explore the troubles with their new products!

Best of luck to you, and I hope in the end, you will be happy and satisfied!

Thanks. I look forward to hearing what they find when the engine is torn down this week.