Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]

Engine Trouble - Cam Phaser Replacement

This is a discussion on Engine Trouble - Cam Phaser Replacement within the Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!
Not sure if you e seen my posts in the general discussions, but my gen 2 had a bad ticking ...

User Tag List

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 11:52 PM   #21 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Not sure if you e seen my posts in the general discussions, but my gen 2 had a bad ticking noise since I bought it in January. Brushed off by more than one dealer as being "normal for direct injectors".
Five weeks ago tomorrow, my engine suffered a broken cam, which of course destroyed the pistons and valves on that side. Just got my truck back two days ago with a fresh (and quiet) engine. None of that "normal" ticking noise...
Too many other details of the story for this particular response.
Good luck to you!

20thfordfirstraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:21 AM   #22 (permalink)
Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Default Engine Trouble - Cam Phaser Replacement
I have seen your posts but I didnt realize you had a broken cam in the end. Did you by chance view my videos? Similar sounds?

Did Ford tell you why your cam failed? Just a fluke component?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MJslasherADMIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:53 AM   #23 (permalink)

Originally Posted by MJslasherADMIN View Post
I have seen your posts but I didnt realize you had a broken cam in the end. Did you by chance view my videos? Similar sounds?

Did Ford tell you why your cam failed? Just a fluke component?

I watched your video. Mine was making that same constant ticking noise (new engine not doing it at all), but that horrible gear sound when you hit the gas I don't recall hearing that on mine. But the ticking got so loud on the day of destruction that I'm not sure I would have heard anything else from inside the cab. Feel free to PM me and I will give you my phone number and I can tell you everything I've learned in the past month and a half – but what your truck is doing sounds like it could be on an undesirable path
20thfordfirstraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:23 AM   #24 (permalink)
Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks. I am calling again this morning and demanding detailed info. No more generalized BS about the tech working with Ford.

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 AM ----------

Called Ford. Escalated to regional service manager who is supposed to call me in one business day. Case CAS-12355368

Old 05-19-2017, 08:54 AM   #25 (permalink)
Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Default Engine Trouble - Cam Phaser Replacement
Called the dealership just now. Demanded a detailed report on exactly what the tech knows. I didnt get that. I was told parts were ordered yesterday. What parts I asked? I didnt get that. What failed in my engine and why? I didnt get that. Service Advisor is supposed to get me this info today.

Im still driving a Focus on my dime. It was supposed to be swapped out Tuesday. I raised hell about that. I want out of this car and I want my money back for this rental. Dealership refuses to provide me a dealership Truck.
Told service advisor the rental issue had to be solved today. She said "Give me 10 minutes", and we ended the call. 10 minutes later a frustrated lady from Enterprise called me, not my service advisor, saying they had a Ford Expo for me.

Last edited by MJslasherADMIN; 05-19-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:08 AM   #26 (permalink)

Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 1087 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Take the Expo to TRR. A rental Kia Soul made it around the course, you'll do fine!
FarFromStock likes this.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:09 AM   #27 (permalink)
Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Take the Expo to TRR. A rental Kia Soul made it around the course, you'll do fine!

Lol no doubt.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #28 (permalink)

Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 1087 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Lol no doubt.

Not kidding...

AND a bus!

Old 05-19-2017, 09:18 AM   #29 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Its day 4. Im still in the shitty Ford Focus and Im still paying for it as of now. Dealer couldnt tell me what parts were being ordered when I called this morning.

She said FP is having the tech check a ton of things. Every day they want more and more info from the tech. Im sure Ford is freaking out that a new Raptor is having engine issues. I am trying to remain calm and let FP have room to breath and fix it right.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

What major issues did the first year Gen1 6.2 liter have?

sorry i wasnt meaning just the motor, i was just talking about model of the vehicle in general. first few years of the raptor had some issues. and the first major problem with the 6.2 is that it was a 5.4.

no model is safe sir, thats why you sit back and relax with the nice version of the last round until the nice version of this round comes out.

i feel for you man, i hope they can get you fixed up!
AndysLog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:38 AM   #30 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Called the dealership just now. Demanded a detailed report on exactly what the tech knows. I didnt get that. I was told parts were ordered yesterday. What parts I asked? I didnt get that. What failed in my engine and why? I didnt get that. Service Advisor is supposed to get me this info today.

Im still driving a Focus on my dime. It was supposed to be swapped out Tuesday. I raised hell about that. I want out of this car and I want my money back for this rental. Dealership refuses to provide me a dealership Truck.
Told service advisor the rental issue had to be solved today. She said "Give me 10 minutes", and we ended the call. 10 minutes later a frustrated lady from Enterprise called me, not my service advisor, saying they had a Ford Expo for me.

It’s important to not be “that guy” when dealing with the service dept. At some point in life, we all become “that guy” whether it’s for a brief period of time, or you’re prone to it. Being “that guy” will elongate your downtime and make everyone involved less happy, especially you. Don’t let your anger and frustration get the better of you.

The dealer is going above and beyond what’s required -by law-. The warranty (non ESP) does not guarantee you a ride, it merely promises you to repair vehicle defects.

I agree, it’s not like you bought an entry level Fiesta, the level of concern, care and attention for the customer should be a premium. Just keep in mind, when people want you to do stuff for them, they treat you kindly and respectfully.

Make the service department want to help you.
AndysLog likes this.
smurfslayer is online now   Reply With Quote