Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]

Engine Trouble - Cam Phaser Replacement

This is a discussion on Engine Trouble - Cam Phaser Replacement within the Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!
Originally Posted by taco-13 Sounds like you have a lot going on. They did the bare minimum with my repair. ...

User Tag List

Like Tree208Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2017, 09:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by taco-13 View Post
Sounds like you have a lot going on. They did the bare minimum with my repair. I called them out on it at the service desk and they did not care. I have a case open with ford about it and they havent called me back either.

Ford wont call back. They suck. I have called them a few times in the past. Completely pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJslasherADMIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Yikes. Hopefully the 2nd production year (2018) has less issues.
DrippinRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Full Access Member

2 things. why do people feel the need to continually clutter new threads for no reason. just edit your OP and keep cruising.

2 i was told the design on the new 3.5 was new this year for the new generation of raptors. aka, hold out until they work all the bugs out.

im sure its frustrating but why would you buy a brand new vehicle the first 6 months of production. this is common knowledge all makes have issues first few runs. ALL of them do. ALL of them.
SZDZMTR likes this.
AndysLog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

What is more concerning is the proof that the inherent design flaws of the first generation 3.5 ecoboost have still not been addressed in this second generation 3.5 ecoboost.
Sasquatch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
FRF Addict

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

I don't think this is an ecoboost thing or a first model year thing. I think this is just a Ford thing. Cam phasers have been a problem for them for a long time...

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP823113

Old 05-18-2017, 07:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by MJslasherADMIN View Post
Ford wont call back. They suck. I have called them a few times in the past. Completely pointless.

Have you heard back from the dealer yet?
taco-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Its day 4. Im still in the shitty Ford Focus and Im still paying for it as of now. Dealer couldnt tell me what parts were being ordered when I called this morning.

She said FP is having the tech check a ton of things. Every day they want more and more info from the tech. Im sure Ford is freaking out that a new Raptor is having engine issues. I am trying to remain calm and let FP have room to breath and fix it right.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

Originally Posted by AndysLog View Post
2 things. why do people feel the need to continually clutter new threads for no reason. just edit your OP and keep cruising.

2 i was told the design on the new 3.5 was new this year for the new generation of raptors. aka, hold out until they work all the bugs out.

im sure its frustrating but why would you buy a brand new vehicle the first 6 months of production. this is common knowledge all makes have issues first few runs. ALL of them do. ALL of them.

What major issues did the first year Gen1 6.2 liter have?

Old 05-18-2017, 08:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Its day 4. Im still in the shitty Ford Focus and Im still paying for it as of now. Dealer couldnt tell me what parts were being ordered when I called this morning.

She said FP is having the tech check a ton of things. Every day they want more and more info from the tech. Im sure Ford is freaking out that a new Raptor is having engine issues. I am trying to remain calm and let FP have room to breath and fix it right.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

What major issues did the first year Gen1 6.2 liter have?

6.2L major issue was its AWESOMENESS. Was the best truck I've ever owned. Only time will tell if I think the same about Jenny...If mine acted like yours, I would be absolutely sick after getting rid of my 2011 Rap!
kandewinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

As much as we would like to think that the dealer techs across the country know the ins and outs of every vehicle Ford sells, the reality is that most of the vehicles are on the street before techs get any kind of ďtrainingĒ and for you vets this training is like ďfam fireĒ - you get the highlights and thatís about it. weird or unknown stuff will undoubtedly come up, get escalated upstairs, possibly through more than one level and then answered back to the tech to either get more info or make a change (part, replacement, etc.). This gets incredibly frustrating on new models because sometimes the tech knows more about the issue than the Engineer does, or the engineer will ask for inane $hit just to stall for time.

Iíd like to say this is unusual, but itís not and itís not unique to the automotive field. Just like any other profession there are good techs, bad ones and in between - same as engineers.

Now, this may all sound doom and gloom, but donít go there just yet. Techs like to solve problems and very much donít like unanswered problems. Itís frustrating, nagging, disappointing and unsatisfying. Even the average tech wants to resolve the issue if for no other reason than to get it off their plate.

Iím disappointed that you had this problem, and these things never happen when itís convenient. I can tell from other posts this is not a particularly good time for this life complication, but I have been in your shoes, but as a 19 year old, not in anywhere near the financial shape we are in. It sucked huge. I had to borrow rides from pretty much everyone I knew for about 5 weeks worth of time. So, when I say there is light at the end of the tunnel... there is. I know that patience is hard to come by right now, but try to take a step back and not think about it for a while. hard to do, but just find other things in life to do.

The Rap is a great truck, but itís not who you are, itís just what you drive.
smurfslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by smurfslayer View Post
As much as we would like to think that the dealer techs across the country know the ins and outs of every vehicle Ford sells, the reality is that most of the vehicles are on the street before techs get any kind of ďtrainingĒ and for you vets this training is like ďfam fireĒ - you get the highlights and thatís about it. weird or unknown stuff will undoubtedly come up, get escalated upstairs, possibly through more than one level and then answered back to the tech to either get more info or make a change (part, replacement, etc.). This gets incredibly frustrating on new models because sometimes the tech knows more about the issue than the Engineer does, or the engineer will ask for inane $hit just to stall for time.

Iíd like to say this is unusual, but itís not and itís not unique to the automotive field. Just like any other profession there are good techs, bad ones and in between - same as engineers.

Now, this may all sound doom and gloom, but donít go there just yet. Techs like to solve problems and very much donít like unanswered problems. Itís frustrating, nagging, disappointing and unsatisfying. Even the average tech wants to resolve the issue if for no other reason than to get it off their plate.

Iím disappointed that you had this problem, and these things never happen when itís convenient. I can tell from other posts this is not a particularly good time for this life complication, but I have been in your shoes, but as a 19 year old, not in anywhere near the financial shape we are in. It sucked huge. I had to borrow rides from pretty much everyone I knew for about 5 weeks worth of time. So, when I say there is light at the end of the tunnel... there is. I know that patience is hard to come by right now, but try to take a step back and not think about it for a while. hard to do, but just find other things in life to do.

The Rap is a great truck, but itís not who you are, itís just what you drive.

Agree with everything said here. As for the repair I sure hope Ford is taking it seriously. I am an engineer and if I deployed such a high end hot product I would be jumping at the chance to see the first failures that came to my attention. But its likely that the real engineers at FP have no idea about my failure. Just a Tier I tech or engineer intern reading a manual and asking the dealer tech questions.

I worry about my timing and cam components. Im going to see about dropping by the dealership tomorrow and seeing if I can get a visual. After all it is my truck.