Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]

Engine Trouble - Cam Phaser Replacement

This is a discussion on Engine Trouble - Cam Phaser Replacement within the Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!
Edit - My engine is being replaced due to low oil pressure and cam phaser noise. Some of you might ...

User Tag List

Like Tree483Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Engine Trouble - Cam Phaser Replacement
Edit - My engine is being replaced due to low oil pressure and cam phaser noise.

Some of you might be following my other thread "Direct Injection Noise". Im not going to update that thread anymore. Im going to post a link in that thread to this one.

In that thread I posted You Tube videos of my engine sounds. Noises behind the front engine cover when the throttle is blipped. Noises with the top foam cover removed and loose pieces on the Wastegate accuators. Please see that thread to watch the videos.

I took my Raptor to a Ford dealership Monday morning. They didn't have a loaner so I rented a car from Enterprise out of my pocket. I gave the service advisor You Tube links to all of my videos. I also showed the service advisor all three issues. The You Tube videos have now been watched by Ford Engineers and by the Service techs at Westway. They claim that these videos made it very easy to diagnose my issues and helped the techs find it quickly.

I have Cam Phasers failing and thats where the noise is coming from. 7,000 miles on my truck. Its been noisy like this since day one but just keeps getting worse. Ford is replacing the cam phasers and the parts have been ordered. They are going to reimburse me for the rental car charges and put me into a larger rental car tomorrow. I will be missing out on the Texas Raptor Run this weekend as a result.

Ford is also looking at the Wastegate actuators. Likely they wont be replaced as its a faulting design impacting all Raptors. They are looking at other Raptors on the lot to confirm their wastegate are the same as mine. I have been told there will be no official word that its faulty. But it is what it is.

The service advisor and tech drove my truck and everyone agrees it sounds like shit.

This entire thing fucking sucks. I have a $70,000 truck at 7000 miles getting engine work done. I know, stuff happens, nothing is perfect and just because my truck has issues that doesnt mean the entire platform is bad. But, beware and check your truck.

Build date Jan 23rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by MJslasherADMIN; 07-01-2017 at 09:24 AM.
MJslasherADMIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Originally Posted by MJslasherADMIN View Post
Some of you might be following my other thread "Direct Injection Noise". Im not going to update that thread anymore. Im going to post a link in that thread to this one.

In that thread I posted You Tube videos of my engine sounds. Noises behind the front engine cover when the throttle is blipped. Noises with the top foam cover removed and loose pieces on the Wastegate accuators. Please see that thread to watch the videos.

I took my Raptor to Westway Ford Monday morning. They didn't have a loaner so I rented a car from Enterprise out of my pocket. I gave the service advisor You Tube links to all of my videos. I also showed the service advisor all three issues. The You Tube videos have now been watched by Ford Engineers and by the Service techs at Westway. They claim that these videos made it very easy to diagnose my issues and helped the techs find it quickly.

I have Cam Phasers failing and thats where the noise is coming from. 7,000 miles on my truck. Its been noisy like this since day one but just keeps getting worse. Ford is replacing the cam phasers and the parts have been ordered. They are going to reimburse me for the rental car charges and put me into a larger rental car tomorrow. I will be missing out on the Texas Raptor Run this weekend as a result.

Ford is also looking at the Wastegate actuators. Likely they wont be replaced as its a faulting design impacting all Raptors. They are looking at other Raptors on the lot to confirm their wastegate are the same as mine. I have been told there will be no official word that its faulty. But it is what it is.

The service advisor and tech drove my truck and everyone agrees it sounds like shit.

This entire thing fucking sucks. I have a $70,000 truck at 7000 miles getting engine work done. I know, stuff happens, nothing is perfect and just because my truck has issues that doesnt mean the entire platform is bad. But, beware and check your truck.

Build date Jan 23rd.

Sorry to hear this is happening and so soon. Thank goodness you are under warranty. Hopefully they can get it fixed, and back to you asap. You are also lucky the dealership is taking care of you, that doesn't always happen. Once it is complete and running well this will all be behind you.
Jayrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

This is what I have been warning about all this time. I would trade this and get a gen 1 until the new engine is ready.
Dirtypope likes this.
Sasquatch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Glad to hear both Ford and the dealership are working to make it right. The issue is what it is and as you stated, it sucks. but sometimes how problems are dealt with reveal the integrity of the parties involved. I wouldn't have bought the Gen 2 because it is so radically different, we knew there were going to be first production run issues, but the truck is an awesome truck and it will all work out in the end...

...or you'll get rid of it and get an awesome Gen 1.

2012 Tux Black, Loaded. Previous owner added Spray-in liner, bed cover, LED everything, AFE intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, mid-perch... other stuff I haven't found yet. Thank You whoever you are... I have added 37" Nitto tires, painted speaker grilles, Roush vacuum gauge for hubs.
whoisbigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I'm sure dumbshit Sas will get pleasure from your pain!

Shit does happen and they are fixing it is the best I have for you.

kdub405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
My advice, which isnt worth much, is for you guys not to tune your trucks until you have 7,000 miles on it and no noise at 7,000 miles.

Why 7000? Only because thats where I sit with cam phaser issues. I highly doubt Ford techs have taken my front cover off yet. I assume that is needed to change the cam phasers.

I may have more or other issues once they dig in.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

My advice, which isnt worth much, is for you guys not to tune your trucks until you have 7,000 miles on it and no noise at 7,000 miles.

Why 7000? Only because thats where I sit with cam phaser issues. I highly doubt Ford techs have taken my front cover off yet. I assume that is needed to change the cam phasers.

I may have more or other issues once they dig in.

The cam phaser replacement also involves new timing chain... make sure that is part of the repair. The ecoboost crowd sees this as a common failure and are finding the repair costs (if out of warranty) to be $3,000.
Sasquatch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I took my Raptor to Westway Ford Monday morning. They didn't have a loaner so I rented a car from Enterprise out of my pocket. I gave the service advisor You Tube links to all of my videos. I also showed the service advisor all three issues. The You Tube videos have now been watched by Ford Engineers and by the Service techs at Westway. They claim that these videos made it very easy to diagnose my issues and helped the techs find it quickly.

Build date Jan 23rd.

Your doing better then I did dealing with Ford. Apparently an extended warranty (depending on options selected) will cover first day car rental and up to 10 days of car rentals. If your brand new truck is broken and needs repair Ford does not have to give you a rental or loaner. That really is amazing to me.I had to rent a car while the oil pan on my 3 week old truck was fixed. I hope everything works out for you.
taco-13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by taco-13 View Post
Your doing better then I did dealing with Ford. Apparently an extended warranty (depending on options selected) will cover first day car rental and up to 10 days of car rentals. If your brand new truck is broken and needs repair Ford does not have to give you a rental or loaner. That really is amazing to me.I had to rent a car while the oil pan on my 3 week old truck was fixed. I hope everything works out for you.

Each service advisor at the dealership has a loaner. It was out when I took my truck in. I opted to rent my own or walk or wait until the loaner was back before I could drop my truck off. I was really worried it was going to break down or cause more damage if I kept driving it. They are giving my money back on the rental now that its proven that the truck has real issues. Plus I have to drive toll roads each day and Enterprise at Ford has no way to deal with charges for that. I have to add the rental plate number to my Tx Toll Tag account or I have to pay the Zip Cash rate for tolls (double) and a $10 per day surcharge if tolls hit Enterprise. Pain in my ass.

Ford refused to let me drive a car off the lot. I know others get Ford to loan them a truck when the Raptor has issues sometimes. Shit, tomorrow I get to take this shitty Ford Focus back to enterprise and upgrade to a Ford Fusion. Fuck Yeah!!!!!

I am not happy about the truck or the rental. Normally I would push harder. But this new job is killing me. I worked 22 hours from Monday morning 5:30 am - Tuesday Morning 3:30am. Then went right back to work at 10am Tuesday until 7pm. I had a big outage caused by a pair of Cisco Iron Port web proxies that caused all sorts of issues. Needless to say I have been to preoccupied to push Ford.

Also, the service advisor is nice. But she is not mechanically inclined and had no idea what a VCT phaser and timing chain is. No way they will order a new chain. Probably wont replace all needed components. I will call tomorrow and ask exactly what they ordered.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Each service advisor at the dealership has a loaner. It was out when I took my truck in. I opted to rent my own or walk or wait until the loaner was back before I could drop my truck off. I was really worried it was going to break down or cause more damage if I kept driving it. They are giving my money back on the rental now that its proven that the truck has real issues. Plus I have to drive toll roads each day and Enterprise at Ford has no way to deal with charges for that. I have to add the rental plate number to my Tx Toll Tag account or I have to pay the Zip Cash rate for tolls (double) and a $10 per day surcharge if tolls hit Enterprise. Pain in my ass.

Ford refused to let me drive a car off the lot. I know others get Ford to loan them a truck when the Raptor has issues sometimes. Shit, tomorrow I get to take this shitty Ford Focus back to enterprise and upgrade to a Ford Fusion. Fuck Yeah!!!!!

I am not happy about the truck or the rental. Normally I would push harder. But this new job is killing me. I worked 22 hours from Monday morning 5:30 am - Tuesday Morning 3:30am. Then went right back to work at 10am Tuesday until 7pm. I had a big outage caused by a pair of Cisco Iron Port web proxies that caused all sorts of issues. Needless to say I have been to preoccupied to push Ford.

Also, the service advisor is nice. But she is not mechanically inclined and had no idea what a VCT phaser and timing chain is. No way they will order a new chain. Probably wont replace all needed components. I will call tomorrow and ask exactly what they ordered.

Sounds like you have a lot going on. They did the bare minimum with my repair. I called them out on it at the service desk and they did not care. I have a case open with ford about it and they havent called me back either.
taco-13 is online now   Reply With Quote