Engine raising rpm when door opens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ecoop

Ecoop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, sorry for the delay...work. Yes that is what I was thinking, some forscan changes maybe. I'm going to see if I enabled secure idle and check it out. It's just concerning since I have a loud ass wastegate type of noise from the driver's side, I have noticed that the injector/pump noise has increased since the downpipes.

Kenny008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure what year you guys have. My understanding is that the Secure Idle feature is enabled from the factory on the 2018s. On the 2017s, you can enable it in FORScan.

It is not thought to be a big deal. It is a noted feature of Secure Idle. Mine does it, not when I open the door, but when the truck senses my key has left the truck (when I get out).

Reaction score
I care, I paid $70k for a truck and I'd expect things to work correctly. I guess I'll have to take it to the dealer.

Kenny008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t heard definitely, but the thought is that the RPM increase is not a problem, and is in fact a feature.
I can’t find it now, but one of the thoughts is that this might have been purposely included to assist the alternator. The thought was that the secure idle was originally for emergency vehicles, where the driver frequently leaves the vehicle and leaves it running. Since these vehicles often have additional after-market emergency equipment (radios, lights, etc.) the idle was purposely bumped up. Take this explanation as you wish.

Anyway, I guess if it really bugs you that much, go have it checked out and let us know. I’m pretty confident it’s not only not a big deal, but it’s a purposely-programmed feature. Personally, it’s as concerning to me as the color of the back of my floor mats.

Last edited:

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's so your prisoners (and dogs) in the back seat stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter while you're out eating donuts with your buddies.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

didn't realize 2018's default was Secure Idle on. Just went and tested...secure idle worked fine...but RPMs did not vary. But maybe truck wasn't running long enough/hadn't reached target temp or something?? Whew!! Glad I don't need to bring my truck to the dealer. hahaha