Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]

Engine ping or valve train noise???

This is a discussion on Engine ping or valve train noise??? within the Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!
With about 1000 miles on my gen 2 and in sport mode while climbing through the gears I heard either ...

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2017, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Engine ping or valve train noise???
With about 1000 miles on my gen 2 and in sport mode while climbing through the gears I heard either engine ping or valve train noise....only heard it once and I haven't really tried to mimic it. After watching Barnetts videos I'm scared that I could have possible cam phaser issues in time as well.. the noise came about after slightly letting off throttle, so first I thought turbo boost actuator noise.. truck sounds fine on idle and has driven fine ever since..let me know if anyone has heard anything like it.

Bowewelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

Welcome to FRF. It could be nothing, it could be someone beside you with a bad catalytic converter, it could be something. Chances are, if you have either pinging or a mechanical issue it will be repeatable. If you suspect you can repeat it, Iíd get a go-pro and mount in the engine bay and take it for a spin. You want a cam with decent sound.

The actuators are kind of loud at start up but I donít hear them otherwise.
smurfslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Lmoa..when I first heard that noise I thought for sure the truck was going back to the dealer. But just as fast as it started it had stopped and nothing seems to have come of it.. I ruled out pinging because I had 91 octane in it and I had been driving it kinda hard with no other noises heard...my biggest concern is those cam phaseres and maybe I heard a little valve train collision..oil pressure seems good at the gauge. How did u guys "break in your engines?"
Old 08-14-2017, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Bowewelding View Post
Lmoa..when I first heard that noise I thought for sure the truck was going back to the dealer. But just as fast as it started it had stopped and nothing seems to have come of it.. I ruled out pinging because I had 91 octane in it and I had been driving it kinda hard with no other noises heard...my biggest concern is those cam phaseres and maybe I heard a little valve train collision..oil pressure seems good at the gauge. How did u guys "break in your engines?"
Personally, I did my best to reenact the chase scene from Bullitt using the Raptor.

then, once the test drive was over, things got serious.
smurfslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hired Gun

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Ping will only happen while under throttle not when you let off. You can rule that out. The engine has to be under a load for pre-detonation (ping) to occur.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the response..i ruled out ping noise aswell...and i think if I had any sort of cam phaser issue, or problem it would throw a light?? Do you guys run fully synthetic oil?? And how many miles?
Old 08-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Cam phaser rattle (noise they make prior to failure) won't throw a CEL. When phasers fail, they stretch the timing chain. That event will trigger the CEL.
Mcnawsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Going to pull the oil and fill with full syn motorcraft..what do u guys run?