Engine Knocking with 93 octane fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If he is hearing it, it's already happening. ECU would then pull timing accordingly till said knock sensors no longer pick up said knock. The knock sensors would play no role in the engine knocking but rather tell the engine its hearing/feeling it. This of course is all based on the OP hearing it. If it's felt then you might be on to something!

The injectors on these trucks are pretty noisy. Not saying that's what the OP is hearing but just a thought.

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying here, if the knock sensor is defective, or not working at all, it can either pull way too much timing, causing dreadful performance, or if the anti-knock strategy isn’t working at all you could end up with detonation; I think the current buzz for this is ‘pre-ignition’ (?).

I would not be keen on an audible knock from the engine whatever octane was being run, and particularly WFO.

Either way, I’d take it in for investigation. it would not be the first supernaturally aspirated engine to have this issue.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The dealer filled my truck with 87, it didn't knock, ran like a scalded dog in heat.

I have filled it with 93 since then, it doesn't knock and runs like a scalded dog in heat.

Take smurf's advice, use your warranty.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying here, if the knock sensor is defective, or not working at all, it can either pull way too much timing, causing dreadful performance, or if the anti-knock strategy isn’t working at all you could end up with detonation; I think the current buzz for this is ‘pre-ignition’ (?).

I would not be keen on an audible knock from the engine whatever octane was being run, and particularly WFO.

Either way, I’d take it in for investigation. it would not be the first supernaturally aspirated engine to have this issue.

Simply saying that if it's audibly heard his Knock sensors have nothing to do with it. If it's poor performance, maybe the sensors are a contributing factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dryhole

Reaction score
Being in the industry I can tell that you that every transport of fuel with ethanol is blended at the rack or pickup point. X number of gallons of unleaded and X of gallons of ethanol. Every transport can have a different blend. Try not to use unleaded with an ethanol blend.

Last edited:

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Being in the industry I can tell that you that every transport of fuel with ethanol is blended at the rack or pickup point. X number of gallons of unleaded and X of gallons of ethanol. Every transport can have a different blend. Try not to use unleaded with an ethanol blend.

That would be impossible up here. All they sell in Maine is E10.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Omg. Don't use e10.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

That flex fuel stuff is not meant for this truck ever.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Omg. Don't use e10.

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

If that's all he has that's all he can use.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Omg. Don't use e10.

E85 is Flex Fuel, they don't sell that crap in Maine
E10 isn't flex fuel it's gas w/10% ethanol. It says near the gas fill on my truck you can use up to E15... we don't have E15 around here anyway.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry my bad. I thought you meant flex.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts