Engine Knocking with 93 octane fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced engine knock at WOT with 93 octane fuel on new 17 raptor? I got some yesterday and hope it was just a bad tank of fuel. I have 2200 miles and that is not a good sign.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

TornadoRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to frf and Raptor life.
There is another thread here if you search Engine knock
A couple guys noticed it at idle and said you could hear it outside their trucks at idle through the front passenger wheel well. Someone said that its in the manual that some engine knock is normal. I haven't confirmed this in the manual. Hope this helps. Good luck

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced engine knock at WOT with 93 octane fuel on new 17 raptor? I got some yesterday and hope it was just a bad tank of fuel. I have 2200 miles and that is not a good sign.

Have you been running 93 since new? If not keep running it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must have one hell of an ear to here engine knock at WOT. I wish I could hear such a things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TornadoRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You must have one hell of an ear to here engine knock at WOT. I wish I could hear such a things.

Maybe it was "amplified" by the piped in engine sounds of the exhaust courtesy of Ford

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
Have you been running 93 since new? If not keep running it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I have filled up every time with 93 octane. I don't know what the dealership used on the first tank.

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

It was very easy to spot.

TornadoRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully it was just bad gas like water or something. Did it rain alot by where you live and gassed up? If I'm low on gas and know it's going to rain alot I fill up beforehand. If it's just after a dowpoor I don't. If you see the tanker delivering gas and refueling the gas tanks at your gas station don't fill up there right away. The refueling of their tanks can stir up sediment in tanks. Stations rarely if ever test their fuel for water, octane or clean their tanks. Use the newest gas station in your area if you can. There's nothing better than new, like a new Raptor.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
<Doomsayer>
All of the crowd crowing about running 93 octane all the time, every time aren’t hurting anything, but there is zero evidence in hand that the truck will not run on 87 octane AND it explicitly states in the manual that 87 is the minimum required fuel. Jeff-O has indicated pinging on 87 octane. I’ve run 87 since day one without incident. Sure, it’s possibly a mistake in the manual... On a truck that took years of R&D, on a 2nd generation of their workhorse engine, that is shared in the Ford GT, with a very large reputation at stake. Or it’s possible that Ford knew exactly what they were doing when they put 87 octane in the manual.

I think back in the 70’s a tank of ‘bad gas’ was potentially more likely and could happen then. Maybe it could even happen now, but the regulations on fuel in the USA are super stringent and bad gas is something that you get when a tank sits for several months on end unused without a stabilizer.

If you’re getting a persistent knock with 93 gas, you need to use the warranty. It’s possibly defective knock sensors

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re getting a persistent knock with 93 gas, you need to use the warranty. It’s possibly defective knock sensors

If he is hearing it, it's already happening. ECU would then pull timing accordingly till said knock sensors no longer pick up said knock. The knock sensors would play no role in the engine knocking but rather tell the engine its hearing/feeling it. This of course is all based on the OP hearing it. If it's felt then you might be on to something!

The injectors on these trucks are pretty noisy. Not saying that's what the OP is hearing but just a thought.