GEN 2 Engine backfire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MKomertz

Reaction score
I've been putting in 89 octane, and on my way home I heard three POP sounds. I turned my sound down, went to manual mode and ran it at some higher revs without issue, went back to sport, gunned it, no problem and didn't hear anything. Just curious if anyone else has heard of this issue, or if I should be concerned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were you WOT when you heard the pops? What was the rpm etc?

OP
OP
M

MKomertz

Reaction score
What is WOT? My RPM was below 2000, I was doing less than 30 mph, coming to a stop and getting up to speed. Almost sounded like someone was banging something together the three times it happened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol...I'll say he was not wide open throttle.

OP
OP
M

MKomertz

Reaction score
That's what I thought, but no I was not. Lol

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is WOT? My RPM was below 2000, I was doing less than 30 mph, coming to a stop and getting up to speed. Almost sounded like someone was banging something together the three times it happened.

Yeah kind of normal. Lots of vehicles do it. My Vette was horrible. Sorry Wide Open Throttle.

fidds22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happened to mine. Had 91 octane in it from day one, went to s station that did not have premium, so i put in 89. Had that exact sound pretty much till i went through the tank and added premium back in.

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me right after filling up with premium. Was my first fill up and I was also doing around 20mph coming to a stop and then pop pop pop. Hasn't happened since but was very weird.

MadRaptor65

Reaction score
Mine backfired in S-mode at a low speed. I called my Tech and he said that was no big deal since it was in s-mode which doesn't let the truck shift right away when you get off the gas like it does in Drive. I also did ask about Gas. I have always used Valero 91, he recommended Chevron, Mobil, Exxon or Shell. He said that they are the top-tier gas stations! I put Chevron in and it cost about 20 cents per gal more.
No big deal if it will improve the life of my truck.
Can't find 93 oct in CA.