E85

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As I recall, the Raptor is configured for nothing stronger than E10.

The thing with E85 is that it is both higher octane (something like 108), meaning that it resists detonation very well, and much less energy-dense than gasoline... so it takes more of it (in terms of volume) to make a given amount of power. That's why mileage on E85 sucks, and why there's no performance advantage unless a tune is configured to take advantage of the extra octane.

Tunes configured to use E85 will allow for more boost/timing than would be possible on pump gasoline, but you also must have enough fuel system (fuel pump, injectors) to move the volume of E85 required by the higher horsepower level. Additionally, the fuel lines, etc... must be made out of materials that won't be damaged (dried out) by the use of fuel with high alcohol content.

Likely, the reason that the Raptor isn't compatible with E85 when stock is because it either doesn't have or has a limited range ethanol sensor in the fuel tank.

all fuel lines are made for ethanol now. I do agree with the tune to make it work. but e-30 will work it's only about 92.6 octane if e-10 works any amount will not destroy fuel lines. you have to watch that it does not get to lean with over 50% ethanol.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting... I didn't know that, but it makes sense.

yep anything newer than what is it they say 1995 or something like that. but I use e-30 in much older vehicles and never had a problem. other than adjusting the carb.