Downpipe material and design

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TK85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was looking at getting the SPD downpipes but noticed they were aluminized and not stainless like AFE and Kooks. What's everyones opinion on if it is worth it for the price increase going with stainless? Also looking if anyone has gotten the equal length AFE downpipes. Thanks

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Was looking at getting the SPD downpipes but noticed they were aluminized and not stainless like AFE and Kooks. What's everyones opinion on if it is worth it for the price increase going with stainless? Also looking if anyone has gotten the equal length AFE downpipes. Thanks

The most important factory will be where you live and what kind of conditions you live in. If you're up north and deal with salt/harsh winters, I'd recommend going with a stainless variant over the aluminized. We're a dealer for SPD, Kooks, aFe, Stainless Works, and more so we'll be happy to help answer any questions you may have about any of the available options.

OP
OP
TK85

TK85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The most important factory will be where you live and what kind of conditions you live in. If you're up north and deal with salt/harsh winters, I'd recommend going with a stainless variant over the aluminized. We're a dealer for SPD, Kooks, aFe, Stainless Works, and more so we'll be happy to help answer any questions you may have about any of the available options.

I live in Central Jersey so we definitely have the salt and sometimes harsh winters. Any difference in quality between kooks and afe like the welds, fitment and like mentioned will the turbo adaptors work with both of them? Thanks

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Central Jersey so we definitely have the salt and sometimes harsh winters. Any difference in quality between kooks and afe like the welds, fitment and like mentioned will the turbo adaptors work with both of them? Thanks

Exactly the reason I went with stainless. I’m in NEPA so I know all about the harsh winters. I went with the Kooks catted green pipes. They fit very nice on the truck. And bolted up to the turbo adapters real well too. But I did have an issue with one of the o2 sensor bungs being ******* up. Wasn’t a bad fix though. I did throw the 0420/0430 code though with this combo. So I have SPD’s o2 foulers to put on after work today. Hopefully they keep the CEL off.

OP
OP
TK85

TK85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I really want to avoid the cel if I can and I've read multiple people get lucky and then some unlucky when doing the down pipes.

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I really want to avoid the cel if I can and I've read multiple people get lucky and then some unlucky when doing the down pipes.

I’ll let you know how the extenders work once I put some miles on the truck.