Custom 5 Star Tune with HP Tuners NGauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Right on. I'm not trying to start a forum pissing contest, just trying to reconcile (what appears to be) conflicting results.

I want to say that you've expressed in the past that you intended to do the SPD adapters and the tune... does that describe your current configuration?

Currently I am running SPD turbo adapters, an AFE Momentum GT intake, and the 5 star tunes, currently 91 race, moving to 93 street today hopefully.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently I am running SPD turbo adapters, an AFE Momentum GT intake, and the 5 star tunes, currently 91 race, moving to 93 street today hopefully.

I wonder if that's the difference... the adapters (or intake). I would think that the adapters would make a bigger difference as power is increased over stock...

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if that's the difference... the adapters (or intake). I would think that the adapters would make a bigger difference as power is increased over stock...

I highly doubt that is the difference.

I put the intake on this weekend and that made very little difference.

I really can't speak on what that other guy experienced, nor do I have dyno plots.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt that is the difference.

I put the intake on this weekend and that made very little difference.

I really can't speak on what that other guy experienced, nor do I have dyno plots.

You come across kind of like a ****. The guy is just asking questions as to your setup and what might be different from the other guys.

No, I'm not calling you a **** just staying what one may perceive based on your response.

Glad it's working out for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You come across kind of like a ****. The guy is just asking questions as to your setup and what might be different from the other guys.

No, I'm not calling you a **** just staying what one may perceive based on your response.

Glad it's working out for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay?

it seemed to me like he was trying to justify the other person not noticing a difference with a tune.

I disagree with that, I do not think the difference in a tune being noticeable or not is the exhaust adapters.

It is what he was implying, and I don't agree.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am the "other guy" and have posted in several places here, and FB that I am happy with the tune. Good power, improved pedal response, overall improvements. Do I want more power, of course.

I was very clear in those posts that the dynos were done in 5th gear, not done in 7th gear (1:1), as they should be. I will be re-dynoing in 7th soon, also sending logs in to 5 star to confirm my files were the correct octane/etc. The more info sharing we have, the more improvements we can make. It took a lot of searching to even get the trans gearing info, so hoping these posts help share more info for others.

Buddy with Whipple Gen1 and a notorious gen2 hater ;) ( @Crikk ) drove my truck this weekend and was impressed. The way this truck delivers power with 10 speed and quiet exhaust is deceiving, You have to look at speedo to really acknowledge it.

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am the "other guy" and have posted in several places here, and FB that I am happy with the tune. Good power, improved pedal response, overall improvements. Do I want more power, of course.

I was very clear in those posts that the dynos were done in 5th gear, not done in 7th gear (1:1), as they should be. I will be re-dynoing in 7th soon, also sending logs in to 5 star to confirm my files were the correct octane/etc. The more info sharing we have, the more improvements we can make. It took a lot of searching to even get the trans gearing info, so hoping these posts help share more info for others.

Buddy with Whipple Gen1 and a notorious gen2 hater ;) ( @Crikk ) drove my truck this weekend and was impressed. The way this truck delivers power with 10 speed and quiet exhaust is deceiving, You have to look at speedo to really acknowledge it.

You can never have enough power!

Someday I would like to dyno mine for sure. I am happy with the performance though, it seems like a significant difference to me.

Good to know about 7th gear, if I ever do mine, I will be sure to use 7th. Not a lot of dynos where I live though...

]I have found the most noticable is when I have to pass a car, you really get around them faster and easier.

CROOKS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Do you have spd adapters?

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can never have enough power!

Someday I would like to dyno mine for sure. I am happy with the performance though, it seems like a significant difference to me.

Good to know about 7th gear, if I ever do mine, I will be sure to use 7th. Not a lot of dynos where I live though...

]I have found the most noticable is when I have to pass a car, you really get around them faster and easier.

If you can find a local Dynojet (as opposed to Mustang etc), please do, it would be great to get some more independent data on these tunes.

Big props for jumping into the tunes early on, I've been busy AF with work otherwise I'd be ordering up. Going to be interesting to see how Livernois, Whipple etc stack up with the 5 Star setup... but I'm definitely leaning towards 5 Star for their solid support and comprehensive tuning strategy.