Colder spark plugs on tuned Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheProcessoperator

Reaction score
Is anyone running a colder set of spark plugs on their tuned raptor? If so, did you notice any difference in engine temps? I've noticed that my coolant temperature gets up to the 230's upon prolonged accelerations and normally runs in the 215-222 range under moderate driving. I was thinking about going with a set of NKG LTR7IX-11 (6510) plugs.

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed mine to 1 step colder, no coolant temp changes but better smoother idle

OP
OP
T

TheProcessoperator

Reaction score
My train of though is that maybe the truck is pre-detonating under full boost. Under normal driving conditions it controls the temp fine, but when you floor it for more that 5 seconds, thats when the coolant temps get to over 230. Since it is only a small fraction of the time that the engine is operating under those conditions, the plugs may not show signs of pre-detonation. I likely may be wrong but that was my thought behind the colder plugs.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
It’s not spark related... ecoboost just runs hotdue to the load. This is why there is the thermostat/water wetter/Whipple package conversations here.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It’s not spark related... ecoboost just runs hotdue to the load. This is why there is the thermostat/water wetter/Whipple package conversations here.

You cannot accept anything this troll says at face value.

What were the temps before modification?

Sharkus29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My train of though is that maybe the truck is pre-detonating under full boost. Under normal driving conditions it controls the temp fine, but when you floor it for more that 5 seconds, thats when the coolant temps get to over 230. Since it is only a small fraction of the time that the engine is operating under those conditions, the plugs may not show signs of pre-detonation. I likely may be wrong but that was my thought behind the colder plugs.

I can’t see there being any pre detonation under full load. Is your truck stock or tuned? If tuned then they recommend a colder plug. From what I can gather the temperature increase people are seeing under full load is due to the turbos being water cooled. Which makes perfect sense. Now for people worrying about the truck hitting those temps I can’t see there being a problem with them. Unless your temps are going up at an alarming rate to the point of setting off your temp alarm on your truck then I don’t see any issue. My temps haven’t changed from stock to when I tuned my truck. It just seems to be what these motors run at. And I honestly would have never noticed anything at all if I didn’t change it to see the temperature in forscan. Like a few guys have said if you’re really worried about it you can try a thermostat but the way to really see better numbers would be to install a bigger rad.