Catted downpipes question..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called Kooks today about their green catted downpipes. 300 cell count. And bolt up to the original turbo adapters. So yes, the SPD adapters will work. Their explanation was that their green catted downpipes have a higher flow than stock, but retain almost the same exhaust temp as stock, so that’s how they are able to avoid the CEL. Said they have a high success rate of no CEL’s on raptors.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I thought that the kooks don't use the adapters at all - their pipe mates right to the turbo sans adapter. What is your price on the kooks?

@rubyred_gen2raptor is correct. The Kooks pipes can bolt to stock turbo adapters or SPD adapters and SPD adapters are recommended. The Stainless Works pipes eliminate the turbo adapters and bolt directly to the turbos.

The Stainless Works downpipes only have 200 cell cats and do throw a code. The Kooks and SPD catted downpipes do not have issues the CEL. Kooks is a 300 cell count, SPD is a 400 cell count.

Hope this helps!

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

I called Kooks today about their green catted downpipes. 300 cell count. And bolt up to the original turbo adapters. So yes, the SPD adapters will work. Their explanation was that their green catted downpipes have a higher flow than stock, but retain almost the same exhaust temp as stock, so that’s how they are able to avoid the CEL. Said they have a high success rate of no CEL’s on raptors.

Exactly. It's all about temp. If the O2 sensor notices too high of a temp, it will throw a code.

OP
OP
O

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@rubyred_gen2raptor is correct. The Kooks pipes can bolt to stock turbo adapters or SPD adapters and SPD adapters are recommended. The Stainless Works pipes eliminate the turbo adapters and bolt directly to the turbos.

The Stainless Works downpipes only have 200 cell cats and do throw a code. The Kooks and SPD catted downpipes do not have issues the CEL. Kooks is a 300 cell count, SPD is a 400 cell count.

Hope this helps!

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Exactly. It's all about temp. If the O2 sensor notices too high of a temp, it will throw a code.

Exactly how Kooks explained it. All about exhaust temp.

OP
OP
O

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It varies from truck to truck. Most trucks will not exhibit a CEL with SPD Adapters and Kooks catted pipes. However, it is possible due to certain manufacturing tolerances and can be corrected with O2 extenders.

OP
OP
O

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It varies from truck to truck. Most trucks will not exhibit a CEL with SPD Adapters and Kooks catted pipes. However, it is possible due to certain manufacturing tolerances and can be corrected with O2 extenders.

Thanks for the info!!

On a side note, what kind of 4th sale is Apollo running by chance......?

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I live near the beach do I need to worry about the salt in the air or is it just on the road that is a concern?

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!!

On a side note, what kind of 4th sale is Apollo running by chance......?

Not to sound cliche, but we offer our best pricing everyday. The only time we'll do anything different is around Black Friday/December Deal Days when we bundle some products together.

That said, I'm happy to offer you a quote!

ejholt

Reaction score
Not to sound cliche, but we offer our best pricing everyday. The only time we'll do anything different is around Black Friday/December Deal Days when we bundle some products together.

That said, I'm happy to offer you a quote!

Which perform better - Catted or Catless?