Catted downpipes question..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my 18 screw is coming up on 3500 miles and I’m thinking about changing the downpipes/ turbo adapters. Once I change them I’ll decide if I want to change anything exhaust wise, depending on the sound. I’ve read and listened to a ton of reviews and videos, but wanting to hear my own truck first. I’m not partial to any particular brand, just looking for performance. The issue is I’m in northeast Pa. So I def need something that’s going to hold up against all the harsh winters here. I would like to go the SPD adapter and SPD catted downpipes route, but worried about them not being stainless. But I’ve read the Stainless works catted pipes have some fitment issues. Hanging lower than the skid plates, but are stainless steel.

So anyone who is is the salt belt region have recommendations on which downpipes to go with?

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most of them have CEL issues. I called Stainless Works and they told me I would need a tune to get rid of CELs, just like their Gen 1 headers. SPD is the only one that does not because they use a cell count closer to the factory DPs.

OP
OP
O

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s another reason I’m leaning toward SPD. Unless I run O2 extenders with the Stainless Works. Worried about the SPD’s longevity though.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s another reason I’m leaning toward SPD. Unless I run O2 extenders with the Stainless Works. Worried about the SPD’s longevity though.

My business partner just got the SPD DP - looks to be coated with something, it doesn't look like bare metal. Anyway, you could always get them ceramic coated. It will help with heat reduction and protecting the metal.

rubyred_gen2raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my 18 screw is coming up on 3500 miles and I’m thinking about changing the downpipes/ turbo adapters. Once I change them I’ll decide if I want to change anything exhaust wise, depending on the sound. I’ve read and listened to a ton of reviews and videos, but wanting to hear my own truck first. I’m not partial to any particular brand, just looking for performance. The issue is I’m in northeast Pa. So I def need something that’s going to hold up against all the harsh winters here. I would like to go the SPD adapter and SPD catted downpipes route, but worried about them not being stainless. But I’ve read the Stainless works catted pipes have some fitment issues. Hanging lower than the skid plates, but are stainless steel.

So anyone who is is the salt belt region have recommendations on which downpipes to go with?

I'm Running SPD Downpipes + Turbo Adapters, I'm not sure what but like others have mentioned there is some type of coating on the SPD downpipes, with 0 Fitment issues.

OP
OP
O

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Think I’m going call SPD tomorrow and see exactly how their downpipes are built. And I’m going to see about ceramic coating.

rubyred_gen2raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know what they say... IIRC they use magnaflow cats - not my fav but whatever...

I think you're right , however if you call them and want something different they can work with you on throwing higher flow cats in however that might increase the probability of a CEL being thrown.

OP
OP
O

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you're right , however if you call them and want something different they can work with you on throwing higher flow cats in however that might increase the probability of a CEL being thrown.

From what I’ve researched, The O2 sensor extenders will avoid the CEL won’t they? I’ll see what SPD has to say though.

On a side note, I saw on another thread that you took the Corsa res delete pipe off. So you basically have the Corsa sport. Your set up is exactly what I was wanting to run. Turbo adapters, downpipes and Corsa sport. Don’t want the truck to be obnoxious. I’m leaning away from the extreme for now. By any chance do you have any sound clips of your set up right now? How do you like the Full Race intake?