GEN 2 Catch can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Qnardacci

Reaction score
Has ford done anything to resolve the blow by issue or do I need to install a catch can? Does Ford sell/ install these or is it only aftermarket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put in the UPR catch can and Im happy with it. There was only some small residue in the charge pipes when I swapped intercoolers. But after draining the catch can the first time there was definitely more blow by than I expected.

OP
OP
Q

Qnardacci

Reaction score
I put in the UPR catch can and Im happy with it. There was only some small residue in the charge pipes when I swapped intercoolers. But after draining the catch can the first time there was definitely more blow by than I expected.

Your Raptor is also a 2018? I guess they haven’t resolved the issue yet.
Shame on Ford for not addressing this .
I guess I’ll have one installed ASAP

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your Raptor is also a 2018? I guess they haven’t resolved the issue yet.
Shame on Ford for not addressing this .
I guess I’ll have one installed ASAP

This is not something that will ever be "resolved " its simply the nature of the beast. All turbocharged engines do it and always will. Catch can recommend for any turbo application

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. So does you Oil Level go down as your catch can fills up? So do I have to check the oil level more?

2. With so many of these engines out there, are there pictures of the oil making a mess?

3. Does the oil reduce the life of the engine? If so by how much?

4. Is there proof, that this is worth the ROI?

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. So does you Oil Level go down as your catch can fills up? So do I have to check the oil level more? (Maybe, More than what?)

2. With so many of these engines out there, are there pictures of the oil making a mess? (YES)

3. Does the oil reduce the life of the engine? If so by how much? (Maybe)

4. Is there proof, that this is worth the ROI?(No)

I might install one. I like the idea.

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might install one. I like the idea.

Ideas are good, but Facts are better.

Having said that I kept my last 2 cars 20 years (Saturn), and 17 years (Honda), by only doing Mobil 1 oil changes, and both hit 200K miles. I stay away from Dealerships as the only time the second car was at one they messed it up and they said it was my fault (Old equipment anyway) the idiot light was on (a month after they did a recall on my airbag system).

My plan with this Truck is to keep it for 20 years. Find folks to do my Tires and Break Jobs, but I do all the oil changes using Mobil 1.

Can I do that, or am I on drugs thinking I can avoid the Dealership?

OP
OP
Q

Qnardacci

Reaction score
This is not something that will ever be "resolved " its simply the nature of the beast. All turbocharged engines do it and always will. Catch can recommend for any turbo application

I understand what your saying and agree.
I just think a catch can would be installed as an OEM . Don’t they feel the damage it causes will shorten the life of the engine . Maybe they want that

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1. So does you Oil Level go down as your catch can fills up? So do I have to check the oil level more?

2. With so many of these engines out there, are there pictures of the oil making a mess?

3. Does the oil reduce the life of the engine? If so by how much?

4. Is there proof, that this is worth the ROI?

1. Your oil level goes down as you drive already. This doesn't change that. It just prevents the oil from making into your intake manifold.

2. Yes.

3. The oil gums up your intake manifold and valves. Resulting in less power and less efficiency over time. It also reduces the effective octane rating of your fuel, increasing the chance of detonation, resulting again in less power and less efficiency over time.

4. Plenty of people don't run them. But those that do are usually amazed by how much crap they kept out of their engine. Your engine isn't going to fail without one. Otherwise Ford would install them. But your engine won't run its best without one, either. What that's worth to you determines the ROI.

I personally run two in my supercharged Gen 1.

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ideas are good, but Facts are better.

Having said that I kept my last 2 cars 20 years (Saturn), and 17 years (Honda), by only doing Mobil 1 oil changes, and both hit 200K miles. I stay away from Dealerships as the only time the second car was at one they messed it up and they said it was my fault (Old equipment anyway) the idiot light was on (a month after they did a recall on my airbag system).

My plan with this Truck is to keep it for 20 years. Find folks to do my Tires and Break Jobs, but I do all the oil changes using Mobil 1.

Can I do that, or am I on drugs thinking I can avoid the Dealership?

I thought that this was pretty cool if you are a mobile 1 guy. But I 've never seen -40 degrees. I have been using royal purple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_vxdO_9nc